[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pet peeves - Air travel edition

rajncajn

Oh boy... some of these really hit close to home. We're flying to Minneapolis this Saturday (7 AM flight), and it will be our first trip (flying, at least) with our daughter, who is now 4 1/2 months old. She's been an EXTREMELY good baby, so far (everyone always comments on how alert and pleasant she seems to be), but we're both nervous nonetheless. A few of your top 10 that particularly caught my attention:

Is it going to be a straight flight or are you going to have stops along the way? If it's straight then how long is the estimated flight time? One thing I've noticed a lot of people do is over-pack their carry-on for a baby. If you're changing planes you can pack a larger bag of supplies & have them store it in the baggage area under the plane & just replenish what you need for the upcoming flight in between. One thing I will say is to make sure you have plenty of items for the baby to suck on (pacifier, bottle etc). Babies don't know how to pop their ears & they can't chew gum, but the sucking can work the same way. One other thing is to check in online early and/or see if you can get switched to a bulkhead seat. You'll have all the legroom you need as well as some space to move around with the baby. It may cost you an extra $50 or so, but it may be well worth it for you.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only fly maybe 4-5 times a year, so I can live with a lot of the minor irritations. Most people are slows. So there's no point in getting my blood pressure up when the common man lives down to my expectations of primate-like behavior.

The only thing that really bugs me is when I get stuck in the middle seat and the people to my left and right each take up BOTH of their arm rests. Dude - really? It's bad enough I'm in the middle, now you're going to screw me out of the arm rests too? My choices are: (1) be a dick about it; (2) be passive aggressive about it; or (3) bend over and take it. I hate all of those options.

Edited by yo mama

Oh boy... some of these really hit close to home. We're flying to Minneapolis this Saturday (7 AM flight), and it will be our first trip (flying, at least) with our daughter, who is now 4 1/2 months old. She's been an EXTREMELY good baby, so far (everyone always comments on how alert and pleasant she seems to be), but we're both nervous nonetheless. A few of your top 10 that particularly caught my attention:

Is it going to be a straight flight or are you going to have stops along the way? If it's straight then how long is the estimated flight time? One thing I've noticed a lot of people do is over-pack their carry-on for a baby. If you're changing planes you can pack a larger bag of supplies & have them store it in the baggage area under the plane & just replenish what you need for the upcoming flight in between. One thing I will say is to make sure you have plenty of items for the baby to suck on (pacifier, bottle etc). Babies don't know how to pop their ears & they can't chew gum, but the sucking can work the same way. One other thing is to check in online early and/or see if you can get switched to a bulkhead seat. You'll have all the legroom you need as well as some space to move around with the baby. It may cost you an extra $50 or so, but it may be well worth it for you.

Yes, give her a bottle (or something to suck on) during takeoff and landing, because that's when the air pressure is the worst. If the flight isn't full, I'd recommend sitting toward the back -- less crowded, meaning more room for the baby to spread out. And if you don't already know, you can drive the stroller all the way up to the door of the plane -- just get a tag from the agent at the gate, then fold up the stroller and leave it right before you get on the plane. After you land, they'll grab it and bring it up so you have it as soon as you get off. (Apologies if I'm telling you something you already know -- I can never remember if I learned this stuff myself or if someone had to tell me.)

Breast feed during take off and landing. Works like a charm.

And remember that most airlines will count a car carrier as baby's carry on, which can be very helpful to parents who need the occasional hands free during the flight. If you're very lucky, you're little tike will be asleep in the car carrier when you board the plane, and might be more likely to stay that way if you can just set the car carrier down in the seat without having to move her around during boarding.

Edited by yo mama

Gopher, rajn and montster covered most of it. I'm 6'5'' as well and got to say getting bulkhead, especially on longer flights, is more than worth it. Some airlines actually have a fold down place for infants... it is basically a tray that folds down and they have a box that fits on it and gets strapped in. You can put blankets in it, etc. so that if your baby falls asleep and you are okay with it you can lay them in there.

With Southwest, no preboarding for infants, though you get priority in between Group A and Group B, so even if you don;t get online and check in early, you still get extra time to get seats and get situated. Bonus is that if the flight is not totally full, no one usually wants to sit next to a baby so you should be able to score a whole row for you and your wife... giving you a bit of extra room.

Breast feed during take off and landing. Works like a charm.

And remember that most airlines will count a car carrier as baby's carry on, which can be very help to parents who need the occasional hands free during the flight. If you're very lucky, you're little tike will be asleep in the car carrier when you board the plane, and might be more likely to stay that way if you can just set the car carrier down in the seat without having to move her around during boarding.

Good info here (especially the feeding part if your baby is not one for a bottle or pacifier), although I can't remember if safety requirements require you to remove the baby from the carrier during takeoff and landing.

To be clear though, the baby is the one that should breast feed, not you. If you do it, you may get arrested.

2. The people who pack like they are going to be on the real life version of Lost. Why in the hell does someone need all that crap on the plane? Again, when they get on the plane it takes them forever to get all their crap situated so that everyone else can get on and then again to gather it all up so that everyone can get off.

I put this one on the airlines and the baggage fees as much as I do on the traveler.

And yes, this one is probably one of things I'm somewhat guilty of.

I put this one on the airlines and the baggage fees as much as I do on the traveler.

And yes, this one is probably one of things I'm somewhat guilty of.

:wacko:

1. Get a bigger suitcase and check it. You can put as much as 50 lbs in a bag and it costs $25.

2. Get a larger carry-on and a small backpack. Have the carry-on tagged and stored below.

:wacko:

1. Get a bigger suitcase and check it. You can put as much as 50 lbs in a bag and it costs $25.

2. Get a larger carry-on and a small backpack. Have the carry-on tagged and stored below.

It won't be long before airline start charging for carry-ons. Mine were weighed for testing purposes on flights last week.

Regarding flying with a kid, I've only done it for one trip, but was nervous as hell about it. When the airline offered to upgrade me (miles / medallion status), my wife noticed me considering leaving her back in coach with the kid. My son was not quite a year old when we flew with him last summer and the flight was about 4 hours each way. Gave him a bottle or things to chew on when we were taking off and landing. Other than that, he slept one flight and looked out the window the entire 4 hours of the other flight. We had toys queued up and ready and never even needed them. I'm now imagining that this summer's road trip will be worse.

This. I have a smallish backpack containing laptop, camera, iPod, GPS for hire car, magazines (I catch up with Wired while traveling), folder with itinerary, hire car & hotel details, bag of candy and spare pair socks / underwear.

Fits under the seat in front easily. I can sit there and be amused by the rabble brawling over the overhead bin space.

Yup I use a backpack with wheels. Fits under the seat, carries everything, and can be held, pulled or pushed.

Anybody have suggestions for a good travel backpack? I have a Tug that I got from Office Depot, but it's extremely worn and no longer sheds water. ETA, don't really like the wheeled one's like Riff posted.

Edited by rajncajn

Most things covered but one smaller which I know is picky but still kinda bugs me is walking w/o shoes in an area where 10 zillion people of varying hygeine have walked before me. Next time I plan to buy a couple pairs of cheap socks, wear them over mine, and toss em out as soon as I get thru security. And while I realize the necessity, I can't stand the security checkpoint bit at all, the take everything out, etc etc. Having some fast food reject rifle thru your luggage is also not a treat.

Re the flight itself, all I really ask of others is don't stink, don't pound on the back of my chair, and shut tf up, including your kids.

Direct flight (four hours there, and about five coming back). Thanks for all of the tips, everyone. I learned a few things, even though my wife more than likely is already aware of them (she reads up on all of this baby stuff, for weeks, ahead of time). :wacko:

- the people who rush to board when their section is not called.

- the people who are seated in the back of the plane, yet place their bags overhead up front or in the middle.

- hoards around the luggage carousel.

- airlines who do not allow pre-boarding for families with small children.

- armrest hoarders.

- those unnecessary announcements that wake me.

Edited by Bier Meister

Direct flight (four hours there, and about five coming back). Thanks for all of the tips, everyone. I learned a few things, even though my wife more than likely is already aware of them (she reads up on all of this baby stuff, for weeks, ahead of time). :wacko:

Wait - you're a dude?