[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think I believe in the power of prayer now.

Cunning Runt

Backstory -

About a month ago I woke up and my side really hurt under my right rib cage and it hurt to take deeper breaths.

This continued for nearly a month and I was really starting to get concerned it might be something serious to do with my lungs (cancer, etc...). I didn't go to the doctor because I felt like it was more like a muscle pull and would eventually go away.

This past Sunday morning it was really bothering me, and not just when I took deep breaths when it really hurt, but just resting it throbbed.

So I said a prayer that went something like this: "Please God make this pain go away and give me some peace of mind about my side pain/breathing. I have two young children and I want to see them grow up and even if it's not serious, I want to stop hurting, amen."

A few hours later, I moved and felt something in my side and the pain went away instantly and hasn't been back since. Deep breaths are fine.

Weird I know, but I do believe my prayer was answered.

CR. Glad to hear it went away but you probably should have checked it out. i hope it doesnt come back but if it does you should get it checked this time for the same reasons you prayed it went away, your 2 young children and your well being. Good luck bro

CR. Glad to hear it went away but you probably should have checked it out. i hope it doesnt come back but if it does you should get it checked this time for the same reasons you prayed it went away, your 2 young children and your well being. Good luck bro

Whomper is wise. :wacko:

Ya, if it happens again, for sure.

It was the suddenness of it going away that threw me for a loop. I was at the Y working out. I was on the elliptical machine and the movement was really bothering me, so I did some weights and like I said, I made one move and it was like a nerve was suddenly unpinched or something. But it went from really hurting to pain free instantly and I do credit the prayer.

Hurt my ribs in early November. After a month of them still hurting I went to doctor. X-ray negative...told me it was probably a pulled muscle or cartilage injury. After another month they still hurt. I too was a little worried about something bad. Then one day they just didn't hurt.

Not trying to discredit the power of prayer.

Hurt my ribs in early November. After a month of them still hurting I went to doctor. X-ray negative...told me it was probably a pulled muscle or cartilage injury. After another month they still hurt. I too was a little worried about something bad. Then one day they just didn't hurt.

Not trying to discredit the power of prayer.

Oh I know.

I think the reality is that whatever it was, it was going to go away anyway, but it just was odd (in a good way) that it hurt like hell (after a month), then didn't, just hours after I asked for it to go away. Just a coincidence maybe. Maybe not. Who knows? I'm glad it doesn't hurt anymore for sure.

I had a pain in my stomach a while back..it was sharp and it hurt so much. I was convinced it was something to do with gaul bladder stones and I went to my doctor he pressed it hurt so much. He sent me to do a test that same day and it came back negative. Once I heard the results the pain went away and never came back.

I am a big believe in phantom pain and what your brain can do to your body.

Sigh... :wacko:

More people believe in the power of prayer than don't. In fact most of the greatest thinkers in the history of mankind have believed in the power of prayer. You are a really small person to come in here and belittle this man's faith. Check your arrogance at the door. It's incredibly ugly.

More people believe in the power of prayer than don't. In fact most of the greatest thinkers in the history of mankind have believed in the power of prayer. You are a really small person to come in here and belittle this man's faith. Check your arrogance at the door. It's incredibly ugly.

maybe he is prying to a different goddess?

I had a pain in my stomach a while back..it was sharp and it hurt so much. I was convinced it was something to do with gaul bladder stones and I went to my doctor he pressed it hurt so much. He sent me to do a test that same day and it came back negative. Once I heard the results the pain went away and never came back.

Was your abdomen being mauled by a pitbull at the time? Because that might explain things.

I believe in it, glad u found relief, sometimes it just takes something simple as that--saying dear Lord, take this pain from me and he listens:) A similar story that just transpired this week with my friend--her son was born with a congenital heart defect, transferred to Dallas children's hospital NICU--he was on some ECMO?? machine?? something like that, she asked for prayers from our community, everyone prayed, a few days later taken off that machine, then balloon dilation which was a success, then off intubation? (spelling)??sorry dont know these medical terms, but I googled some of them like the ECMO and was very scared that her son would die....but all was a success with the power of prayer I firmly believe; even the docs said it was a miracle. But I do want to say to listen to your body and make sure all is ok, like others have advised. Take care:)

I too believe in prayers. The answer is not always the one a person wants, but sometimes it is.

I was and am heavilly in CC debt. A two to three pack a day smoker, with absolutley no way out, totally addicted, hopelessly addicted. $96 a carton in NY. Ten packs. Two to three packs a day. Tried everything. At the end of my rope with this cigarette horse chit. No hope. Rob banks or suicide. No way out. Could NOT quit. COULD NOT. Heard about electronic cigs

Today is my sixth day of no tobacco. Prayers answered with a miracle. It happens. Bottom line, either you are a faith based person or you aren't. I don't judge people either way. Whatever works, works. Faith has always worked for me. Prayer is based on faith.

I too believe in prayers. The answer is not always the one a person wants, but sometimes it is.

I was and am heavilly in CC debt. A two to three pack a day smoker, with absolutley no way out, totally addicted, hopelessly addicted. $96 a carton in NY. Ten packs. Two to three packs a day. Tried everything. At the end of my rope with this cigarette horse chit. No hope. Rob banks or suicide. No way out. Could NOT quit. COULD NOT. Heard about electronic cigs

Today is my sixth day of no tobacco. Prayers answered with a miracle. It happens. Bottom line, either you are a faith based person or you aren't. I don't judge people either way. Whatever works, works. Faith has always worked for me. Prayer is based on faith.

yup, faith is an important issue.

I agree with this. Just as prayer can help make pain go away it can also lead you to a physician who can help find out why you hurt and what to do about it.

I often feel like God places me in my patients' lives to help them. He created me, gave me the talents that I need to be effective, and then uses me to assist others.

Just because the masses believe in something does not make it correct. Flat Earth anyone?

I am not a small person to belittle a man's faith, in fact I believe I am a bigger person for it. It takes balls in this society to stand up for what you believe in regardless of the particular topic at hand, especially when it is not a popular stance to take. Many people, especially those in power in the society that we live in, label atheists as a way to marginalize them, to characterize them as something less. by doing so just being labeled an atheist becomes a derogatory statement. So it is OK for the religious to belittle atheists but not the other way around?

I and many others have no problem in speaking out in a crowd if someone makes a patently racist statement. We know that to be demeaning and are willing to speak out against the injustice of it. If you were in a bar and someone said that December is the hottest month of the year in Texas, you would most certainly challenge that person's ability to read a calendar. Now someone puts forth a statement that I find factually inaccurate and I placed a comment to that effect in this thread. It is you who felt the need to come to that person's defense, attacking me and my character. Now who's arrogant?

Savage, I know you've spent more time than most on things grounded in Christianity, but that doesn't make you the arbiter of all that is spiritual. Come down off your high horse and probe the underpinnings of your belief system a bit more. I think you'll find the sand holding up the pilings washing away.

Just because the masses believe in something does not make it correct. Flat Earth anyone?

I am not a small person to belittle a man's faith, in fact I believe I am a bigger person for it. It takes balls in this society to stand up for what you believe in regardless of the particular topic at hand, especially when it is not a popular stance to take. Many people, especially those in power in the society that we live in, label atheists as a way to marginalize them, to characterize them as something less. by doing so just being labeled an atheist becomes a derogatory statement. So it is OK for the religious to belittle atheists but not the other way around?

I and many others have no problem in speaking out in a crowd if someone makes a patently racist statement. We know that to be demeaning and are willing to speak out against the injustice of it. If you were in a bar and someone said that December is the hottest month of the year in Texas, you would most certainly challenge that person's ability to read a calendar. Now someone puts forth a statement that I find factually inaccurate and I placed a comment to that effect in this thread. It is you who felt the need to come to that person's defense, attacking me and my character. Now who's arrogant?

Savage, I know you've spent more time than most on things grounded in Christianity, but that doesn't make you the arbiter of all that is spiritual. Come down off your high horse and probe the underpinnings of your belief system a bit more. I think you'll find the sand holding up the pilings washing away.

No one here belittled you, but you made it a point to railroad CR's thread to "stand up for what you believe" and then whine about religious tolerance? Give me a f'n break. :wacko:

Sorry CR, faith or no faith, I'm just glad you're ok.

Are you kidding me? CR comes in here and shares a moment that means something special to him... you crap on it and call yourself a hero? How very brave of you.

Kid. You know I think you're the bees knees but the second I saw the thread title you could have set your watch to you coming in here with that response

Edited by whomper

Might still want to get it checked out, my brutha. When I had my stent put in a few years ago after the heart attack, I thought it was a pulled muscle under my ribs too. I could take a deep breath and it would go away temporarily. I had been out cleaning up some tree debris on Saturday and had a pain-to-start chainsaw. By Tuesday, I was in real pain. Figured I'd pulled a muscle. They ran some tests and it showed a full blockage. I don't know how old you are, CR, but the tests are painless. May want to at least go in for a stress test. Probably nothing, but still get it checked out, for your kid's peace of mind. They catch something like that early (like they did for me) and it's not a big deal.

Rather than continue on with this. I'll let everyone bask in their respective moments of glory. Have fun.

Edited by Kid Cid