[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What do YOU negotiate?

WashingtonD

So I'm not a natural born negotiator...I tend to pay face value for everything.

My brother in law on the other hand is a prodigious negotiator and pushes back on everything.

Now usually I'm fairly dismissive of this, but recently he negotiated a ridiculous condo in St John's down from 8k for the week for his extended family down to 4k.

It made me wonder, what's fair game to negotiate? Where am I leaving money on the table where I should step up and be more aggressive or at least question the price offered?

Love to hear people's thoughts on this

Thanks,

WD

I will negotiate almost everything. It really all comes down to supply/demand.

Now that's not to say I'll negotiate a listed menu price at a restaurant or stuff like that, but on that condo example, definitely.

I negotiate for a living so I think it's kind of in my DNA.

So I'm not a natural born negotiator...I tend to pay face value for everything.

My brother in law on the other hand is a prodigious negotiator and pushes back on everything.

Now usually I'm fairly dismissive of this, but recently he negotiated a ridiculous condo in St John's down from 8k for the week for his extended family down to 4k.

It made me wonder, what's fair game to negotiate? Where am I leaving money on the table where I should step up and be more aggressive or at least question the price offered?

Love to hear people's thoughts on this

Thanks,

WD

I stink at negotiating, especially if I'm the one trying to sell something. I always seem to feel that if I don't want what I have then no one else is going to really want it either.

When it comes to buying I don't have a lot of patience if it's going to take a long drawn out negotiating process to get a lower price.

I wish I was better at this stuff, but I'm not.

I will negotiate almost everything. It really all comes down to supply/demand.

Now that's not to say I'll negotiate a listed menu price at a restaurant or stuff like that, but on that condo example, definitely.

I negotiate for a living so I think it's kind of in my DNA.

I hope life breaks your private union you greedy bastard. :mad:

I can't remember the last time I negotiated on price, but I'm pretty good at researching major purchases to find the best value for the money, then the store or site with the lowest price. My wife and I use Ebay, Priceline, etc all the time. My wife in particuar has a knack for scouring all the vacation sites for the best deals on lodging. I never thought about it, but maybe we have left money on the table by not being aggressive with prices. We're more inclined to just walk away and look for a better value than to try to talk down a price we feel is too high.

I don't remember the last time I've paid retail for anything, especially department-store stuff. They always have sales, and if you happen to want to buy something that isn't on sale, all you have to do is ask for a manager, they 99% of the time approve a discount that makes sense for you both, and away you go.

Grocery stores, not so much.

Grocery stores, not so much.

I can see it now...

Huddler: "I can't believe you want THAT for that gallon of milk right there. Tell you what, you knock $0.15 off the milk and $0.10 off a dozen eggs, I'll take 'em both. Otherwise, I'm heading across the street."

Manager: "To where? The MIDAS or the Super Cuts?"

Huddler: "C'mon, you know what I mean. Work with me here."

Automobiles, for sure

I forgot about that. I did work two Toyota dealers against each other for a few weeks when I bought Da Tacoma. When neither of them would budge anymore, I made the deal. Haggling with car dealers is mandatory unless an extra grand or two doesn't matter to you. Those people assrape you for a living, it's shameful really.

Automobiles, for sure (Scooby has become a pro and does our negotiations). I buy my sunglasses at only the Sunglasses Huts that are in Macy's, and I insist on 20% off, they always accept.

I'm sure when they see you coming they quickly raise prices 20%! :wacko:

It's what I do for a living, so it comes in handy.

To me, it simply depends on three things - what has been the effort to get to the point of that negotiation, how much value do you put on the object/transaction, and what are your instincts/knowledge of the person you are negotiating with.

So, each time it's different - you can not go into every instance with the same mindset.

It also depends on whether what you're negotiating for is either (i) urgent or (ii) mandatory.

Meaning, if you're out of water and your negotiating for the last cup on earth, that negotiation will probably go differently than if you're at McDonald's negotiating over a specific fry in the vat in the back.

High ticket items when I am buying them from people I do not know (e.g. Best Buy).

As I've gotten older, I have established relationships with certain people that I trust will give me a fair price on things like cars, jewelry, furniture.

Other than that, I don't want to give the appearance that I'm "nickel-diming" someone. I'm pompous and haughty.

Edited by Furd

i've been pretty successful with cars, electronics, and watches. i do a decent amount of research and walk in knowing what they are paying for said item.... aim for the good ol win-win.

Edited by Bier Meister

That's because you still overpaid by 50%. The margin on sunglasses is sickening.

bigtime. but as the thread indicates, there are just some things you can't bring yourself to get ripped off on. furniture and autos are biggies.

my dad likes to haggle with the tree guys and the concrete guys, or any Mexican laborer for that matter.

I'm not a natural born negotiator either. For me, knowledge is key. I do the research like on a car, then I have no problem with negotiating because I absolutely believe in what I'm saying because I have the knowledge to back it up. It becomes harder to trick me. Car dealers will lie. Last weekend, a car dealer was telling me how much it costs for them to do the title work and deed. I flat out told them that I knew they marked the title work twice as much as I can get it done from another dealer. I knew this for a fact. I told them that title work did not cost that much, so don't talk to me about it again. I didn't come here to pay movie theater prices for a soda. I ended up leaving, and of course they called back with a lower price the next day, but I've kind of lost interest. They also told me that this particular car, which was their S model had a different suspension on it than the LE model. I looked this info up online and called another dealership and found out that the salesman was completely wrong. The suspension was exactly the same as the LE model, only difference is the trim.

The great thing about the Internet is that it allows you to find information. Honestly, I felt that I knew more about the car than the salesman did.

Another thing that I was just trying to negotiate was a rate increase. I'm contracting right now. I have been getting e-mails to work for recruiters doing the exact same job for a substantial higher rate. Of course, I can't quit and just go to another agency with the same client without waiting for 90 days. Still, they quoted me rates with no negotiation in writing. I sent them to my job recruiter as one of my justifications for a higher wage. They've offered me more.

Knowledge is the key for me in negotiation.

The great thing about the Internet is that it allows you to find information. Honestly, I felt that I knew more about the car than the salesman did.

:wacko:

Car salespeople HATE the internet.

One of my former duties for my current employer was to negotiate with the contractor the amount money the govt would give them to implement any changes made to the agreed builders contract for the Destroyer contract. It sounds cool, but it was extremely tedious and always a headache haggling over things like how many hours it would take to rip out & re-install a pipe and whether or not a material could be reused. they all hated me because I always went in with the mentality that I was actually paying for it (tax dollars).