[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"Informal" Resume?

darin3

So I have a prospective client/employer asking me for an "informal resume". Before you yahoos pull the "Let Me Google That For You" jazz, know that I've already done that and the results only made things murkier. Some "informal resumes" really just looked like regular resumes, but were kept to one page. Others were a brief list of skills with an intro paragraph. Some others were more of a conversational piece, running through in chronological one's work experiences and the skills gained at each stop.

I have a friend in HR who says she'd probably go the route of having an intro paragraph and bullet-pointing skills. For some reason, my gut says go with the more conversational paragraph-style rundown of my experience.

Some links:

E-How says you can do it however you see fit

This also says "choose your own style"

Here's what I kinda patterned mine off

:wacko: Anyone have any general thoughts?

delivering zima these days?

:wacko:

Stayed within the ballpark - went from beer to nuts and chips. A 2 lb box of jerky = same commission as a 165 lb half barrel.

Kind of a no-brainer - was telling a buddy of mine "dude, you've GOTTA get out of the beer biz; I'm doing what other people do and it's SO F*CKIN EASY! It's like not working at all..."

:wacko: Well then, what are you hiring for and what do you consider an "informal resume"? :tup:

Basically I just want something that shows what a person has done so I know how much training I would have to do if I hired them. And I have to have a DEPENDABLE person, so I probably would want a couple work references.

But I'm not an "official" HR person.

:wacko: I'm guessing this prospective employer is a woman... they think they are asking for something simple, but it's always extremely high maintenance because it requires ESP in order to figure out what the heck they really mean.

So I have a prospective client/employer asking me for an "informal resume". Before you yahoos pull the "Let Me Google That For You" jazz, know that I've already done that and the results only made things murkier. Some "informal resumes" really just looked like regular resumes, but were kept to one page. Others were a brief list of skills with an intro paragraph. Some others were more of a conversational piece, running through in chronological one's work experiences and the skills gained at each stop.

I have a friend in HR who says she'd probably go the route of having an intro paragraph and bullet-pointing skills. For some reason, my gut says go with the more conversational paragraph-style rundown of my experience.

Some links:

E-How says you can do it however you see fit

This also says "choose your own style"

Here's what I kinda patterned mine off

:tup: Anyone have any general thoughts?

Does FREE REALLY MEAN FREE OR DO I GET HOOKED SOMEPLACE :lol:

NO.....just read the terms and conditions....i'll wing it :wacko:

Edited by nuke'em ttg

Does FREE REALLY MEAN FREE OR DO I GET HOOKED SOMEPLACE :tup:

NO.....just read the terms and conditions....i'll wing it :wacko:

Nuke - this is for an "informal" resume, not a traditional one. There are plenty of good resources to find out about how to write a standard one. Good luck.

Nuke - this is for an "informal" resume, not a traditional one. There are plenty of good resources to find out about how to write a standard one. Good luck.

Winged it and i'm done started formal ended informal didn't mention the huddle :wacko: suppose you have to :tup: bring the bacon home BA Bee

Stayed within the ballpark - went from beer to nuts and chips. A 2 lb box of jerky = same commission as a 165 lb half barrel.

Kind of a no-brainer - was telling a buddy of mine "dude, you've GOTTA get out of the beer biz; I'm doing what other people do and it's SO F*CKIN EASY! It's like not working at all..."

SO you are going to be a teacher? :wacko:

I wasn't aware that a resume with bulleted skills was an "informal" one.

If a resume is going to be in a pile along with other applicants, I think the paragraph format is not as effective. The HR or even dept mgr will be scanning, not reading, and the bulleted format is much better IMO.

Now in a case like Darin's, where he already has their attention and has been asked for something in writing, the paragraph format would be my preferred format. It will be read, and not scanned.

For instance, the buleted format should generally have a cover letter. To write a cover letter is really an introduction, and in Darin's situaton, he doesn't need to introduce himself. I think a lt of HR people skip the cover letter, look at the resume, and then if they have interest in the aspplicant, will then read the cover letter.

Interesting timing, I just wrote a new resume myself and have an interview on Wednesday.

SO you are going to be a teacher? :wacko:

That would end poorly; I'd set the over/under on about a week before I strangled some mouthy little punk and if I made it past that, I'd probably be the creepy old guy trying to get into some young hotties pants ("...she was 17 goin' on 35, know what I'm sayin doc?")