[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let's talk flooring

rajncajn

Before Katrina I had just put down laminate floors throughout the entire house. Proud of myself too as it was my first big home project and it came out great. Little did I know... :wacko:

Anyway, after the storm, I let the wife talk me into wall-to-wall Berber-like carpet. After all the work we had already put into the house she didn't want me to have to go through laying another floor (bless her), so we hired a crew to put in carpet. Unfortunately, we have both been very unhappy with the carpet due to the constant dusting, vacuuming, dusting, cleaning, dusting, changing air filters... did I mention dusting? Given we have a dog & we have a ton of in & out traffic and spills with 2 kids, the carpet must go and soon. However, it's been over 5 years since I put in the last floor and I know a lot of things have changed in the industry and a lot of different options are available that weren't before. My wife has mentioned bamboo, which I know is extremely durable, but at what comparable costs? I've also hear of cork flooring, but know nothing really about it. I liked our previous laminate floors, but didn't like how they sounded fake when we walked on them. Whatever we get, it will have to be something that I can just as easily install as with the previous laminates (basically a slide-lock system with a foam underlay). So, what have you guys got & what would you recommend for somebody with my needs, relatively shallow pockets and somewhat limited skillz? :tup:

Edited by rajncajn

Bamboo is a very durable floor. It's most commonly a nail or staple down install (like a hardwood floor) but there are floating bamboo floors out there. This would be a good choice for you. I sell This one but I'm sure there are others out there as well. Bamboo will be a love it or hate it product when you go to look at it, trust me. You'll know real quick. The floating version of bamboo runs a little bit more than the solid version, but not by a ton.

As for the sound, there's a limit to how much of that you're going to eliminate. Alot has to do with the subfloor its going on. If you're over a concrete slab, you're talking about two very different materials (something wood-like, floating over concrete) so the density difference causes most of the noise. If you're over a plywood subfloor, a floating floor will sound better, but it's still not attached to anything so will never sound like a hardwood floor which is stapled. The only thing you can do is upgrade the pad. I would recommend finding a dealer who sells Silent Stride underlayment. It's the best out there that I've seen. Cork is an option as well. It isn't as hard as bamboo but it has elastic qualities. Think of a cork board you hang things from, after you pull a push pin out you don't generally see a hugh hole there.

Prices will differ across the country I'm sure, but I sell the bamboo I linked to and the pad for roughly $4.50-$5.00 a square foot. (I'm not at work, don't have my price lists in front of me).

Feel free to PM for any other questions!

:wacko: I know bamboo eats saw blades like crazy, yer garage will look like Cheech & Chongs Van if ya plan on using one. Only know acouple people that have the floating but they love it.

PS. don't argue flooring with BBP he's relentless about his product and i wouldn't be surprised if he leads the nation in sales :tup:

Edited by nuke'em ttg

Weird...we're considering pulling up our carpet we put down 6 years ago and also looking at bamboo. It's come down to a choice between bamboo and laminate. The flooring person we've talked to has been trying to talk us out of solid strand woven bamboo Tina really liked because she claims the finish (not the actual bamboo, of course) will scratch because of the dogs. We have 2 big dogs and a beagle. She says laminate will not scratch. We currently have laminate in the dining room and it has not scratched at all but it just doesn't feel like real wood, of course. It looks great in there, but the dining room isn't high traffic like the living room we're going to do. They sell this muffler pad to go under the laminate that she says will help. We still haven't decided yet. I worry that laminate will be the "brass and glass fixtures" in a few years and I'd like it to last for at least the 25 years they warranty it for. With the bamboo floor, I don't feel it will be perceived as cheap as laminate. I don't know...we're still researching.

Edited by TimC

I will say you do need to consider the dogs when getting flooring. I have 100 yr old heart pine in my dining room and because of the way his nails are my 60 LB basset hound has managed to ding them up pretty nicely just walking across it.

I will say you do need to consider the dogs when getting flooring. I have 100 yr old heart pine in my dining room and because of the way his nails are my 60 LB basset hound has managed to ding them up pretty nicely just walking across it.

no doubt, i was heart broken when i went brack into a house i did and saw the scratches by the front door sidelight. Their POS dog spends allday running up to the window and hitting the brakes, it's the type of dog that gets scared and likes ta piss on the floor too :wacko:

You've probably went all through this already, but is the floor going to be in the basement? upstairs? The reason I ask is because when we looked into it, we wanted to put the floor in our basement and were steered away from a bamboo floor towards an engineered wood floor. In the event of water damage (highly unlikely but the water heater did soak the existing carpet when it died) I was informed that it would be easier to fix an engineered wood floor than a bamboo one.

1-story house, no basement, concrete slab.

Do you creep around people's homes at night?

I mean, yeah, I've visited rajn's house... I've said too much.

Edited by SEC=UGA

You've probably went all through this already, but is the floor going to be in the basement? upstairs? The reason I ask is because when we looked into it, we wanted to put the floor in our basement and were steered away from a bamboo floor towards an engineered wood floor. In the event of water damage (highly unlikely but the water heater did soak the existing carpet when it died) I was informed that it would be easier to fix an engineered wood floor than a bamboo one.

:wacko: not sure why someone would say this :tup:

As far as water damage to the products themselves, either one will get damaged with a water problem. And if he goes with the floating bamboo it's the same as floating an engineered hardwood. If he were to glue it down, again it's the same as an engineered hardwood.

We have wood floors in the kitchen, dining room and entry and it's been 8 years since the floors have been refinished and we can probably get by with another year. We have two big dogs who run through the house all the time playing and no scratching issues. The key is a good quality sealant. Next year we will probably replace the living room carpet with wood. The thing is hard surfaces show the dirt more, so dog hair and dirt are more visible.

A number of my clients with dogs love travertine tile. The complaint here is that it is cold under foot, but that wouldn't be an issue for you. I have seen some really beautiful travertine floors around here. If you research, the take is the stone is soft and scratches and stains easy. You do have to re-seal about as often as wood floors, but I have seen some floors never refinished and 15 years old, and still look new.

We just bought the highest end carpet available for our bedroom and it vacs up beautifully. The rest of our carpet sucks. It may be that this carpet is new and it will suck in 5 years as well.