[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

the ipad is killing america

tonorator

:wacko: I'm not even going to open the link because I'm sure it's a bunch of gibberish rhetoric, but the concept... well, I dunno. Technology, in general, is killing off a lot of things as we once knew them. When will books be non-existent? Maybe never, but innovations like the ipad make at least plausible. Things have changed more in the past 10 years than they have in the prior 50+ years. It's kind of scary when you think of it. Are technological advances like the ipad KILLING America? Likely not, but they're definitely changing the way things happen.

:wacko: I'm not even going to open the link because I'm sure it's a bunch of gibberish rhetoric, but the concept... well, I dunno. Technology, in general, is killing off a lot of things as we once knew them. When will books be non-existent? Maybe never, but innovations like the ipad make at least plausible. Things have changed more in the past 10 years than they have in the prior 50+ years. It's kind of scary when you think of it. Are technological advances like the ipad KILLING America? Likely not, but they're definitely changing the way things happen.

Which is why his statement is so extremely ignorant and ludicrous. Evolving technology has always, ALWAYS killed off its predecessor.

The rate at which the amount of knowable things doubles accelerates at an ever expanding rate.

Now, this isn't exact, but I remember someone telling me once that:

The amount of knowable things doubled between Noah and Christ ... doubled again between Christ and Michaelangelo ... doubled again between Michaelangelo and George Washington ... doubled again between George Washington and the end of the Civil War ... from the end of the Civil War to the beginning of the Great Depression ... from the beginning of the Great Depression to the end of the Korean War ... etc ...

And, as a result, the amount of knowable information would double from the time I entered high school to the time I finished college.

And that was nearly 20 yrs ago.

I agree.

I don't necessarily agree with him, but IMO there is a pretty big difference between saying that the iPad is killing America, and the iPad is killing American jobs.

Exactly.

And I will say this, ipads and smartphones are taking their toll on culture in very unfortunate ways. I don't care about replacing books, that's just progress. If people are reading off pads instead of from books, who cares. The issue I see is with the degree to which people tune out of their surroundings and plug in to a virtual one.

I see it all the time at bars and restaurants. People sitting with their friends, all looking down at their PDAs. All "checking-in" and telling people who aren't hanging out with them, where they're hanging out. Here's an idea, why don't you hang out with the people you're sitting next to?

"Oh, hey guys, check out this video of the cat flushing the toilet!"

Edited by detlef

Exactly.

And I will say this, ipads and smartphones are taking their toll on culture in very unfortunate ways. I don't care about replacing books, that's just progress. If people are reading off pads instead of from books, who cares. The issue I see is with the degree to which people tune out of their surroundings and plug in to a virtual one.

I see it all the time at bars and restaurants. People sitting with their friends, all looking down at their PDAs. All "checking-in" and telling people who aren't hanging out with them, where they're hanging out. Here's an idea, why don't you hang out with the people you're sitting next to?

This is true and I am sadly guilty of this on occasion. It sucks.

Exactly.

This is true and I am sadly guilty of this on occasion. It sucks.

Last year when my Blackberry went down and I was looking at replacing it, T-Mobile told me that in order to replace it I would have to sign up for the new Blackberry service which was way more than I had been paying on my old one. It turned out that since I had the old service from a smaller cell phone co (Sun Com) that T-Mobile acquired I was grandfathered in at lower rates but now that I needed a new phone it was time to get into a T-Mobile plan. I researched into just buying my own Blackberry and replacing the sim card with my old one and all that sort of stuff.

Then I just said screw it.

I don’t need it. I already sit at a computer for 8 hours a day. Why do I need to carry one around all the time?

I then realized that I had become one of those people that were always looking at their smart phones. I was always checking for the latest score or Facebook update. All the while being disconnected from people I was in the same room with. I started to feel like the William Shatner character in the Twilight Zone episode where he found the coin operated fortune teller in the restaurant that he believed could really tell his fortune. Soon he couldn’t make a decision without checking with the machine first.

So I ditched the Blackberry, bought an inexpensive phone from T-Mobile with no contract and now only use it for voice and text. 6 months later I don’t miss the smart phone one bit.

Last year when my Blackberry went down and I was looking at replacing it, T-Mobile told me that in order to replace it I would have to sign up for the new Blackberry service which was way more than I had been paying on my old one. It turned out that since I had the old service from a smaller cell phone co (Sun Com) that T-Mobile acquired I was grandfathered in at lower rates but now that I needed a new phone it was time to get into a T-Mobile plan. I researched into just buying my own Blackberry and replacing the sim card with my old one and all that sort of stuff.

Then I just said screw it.

I don’t need it. I already sit at a computer for 8 hours a day. Why do I need to carry one around all the time?

I then realized that I had become one of those people that were always looking at their smart phones. I was always checking for the latest score or Facebook update. All the while being disconnected from people I was in the same room with. I started to feel like the William Shatner character in the Twilight Zone episode where he found the coin operated fortune teller in the restaurant that he believed could really tell his fortune. Soon he couldn’t make a decision without checking with the machine first.

So I ditched the Blackberry, bought an inexpensive phone from T-Mobile with no contract and now only use it for voice and text. 6 months later I don’t miss the smart phone one bit.

I convince myself that I need my PDA for work and, more and more, I think that's a crock of chight. This despite the fact that I actually do use twitter almost exclusively as a marketing tool and, to a far, far lesser degree, Facebook as well. That said, I almost never need to send a business-related tweet or Facebook update when I'm not at home or at either of the restaurants, where I have computers that I can use to do so.

However, you're right, I waste far too much time dicking around with my iphone. Mine and my wife's contract comes up in September. I've already decided that, at very least, I'm seriously looking at alternatives to the iphone. However, I'm also seriously considering ditching the whole smart phone deal entirely, saving a bunch of jack and not being a slave to it any longer.

The only time I need directions to places is when I'm away from home. I can live without not knowing stats and facts via google on the fly and if I do, it's because I'm having a discussion with someone. Likely someone who has a smart phone. This thing is way more of a time sink than it is an asset to me.

Screw it, that's it. I'm done.

:wacko: I'm not even going to open the link because I'm sure it's a bunch of gibberish rhetoric, but the concept... well, I dunno. Technology, in general, is killing off a lot of things as we once knew them. When will books be non-existent? Maybe never, but innovations like the ipad make at least plausible.

Dude, time out. Books will NOT go away, an item like a paperback might eventually be seen as a novlety but authors will publish using ipad, kinlde, fill in the blank, etc.

The internet is changing concepts all around us but it isn't going to kill books and magazines, unless you consider online versions of those things to be different. I don't except that perhaps the money going to the printers and coming in from the print agencies will now be sent towards word processing programmers and online ad agencies.

Here's a good one: people say the internet makes us more likely to stay in and be less social. Let's look at this corner of the internet: we're staying in to one degree or another but talking and socializing with people from various states, ages and backgrounds the likes of which we'd never enter into in your local bar. So on the surface, poking away at your keyboard in the privacy of your own home appears anti-social, but only on the surface. It's not far fetched to say it's rejuggling a lot of concepts but really only tweaking them, although JJJr and his ilk are more than likely to overreact to them since they're clearly not thinking the whole thing through.

i'm driving in my car, not sure where i am, pull out the iphone, with 1 touch of a button, a swipe, and then two touches to the screen, i can see exactly where i am with a full, up-to-date roadmap. with that same device, i can make a phone call, jack it into my car to play tunes, check the weather forecast and radar, and get email. it's freakin' magnificent.

yes, this has massive implications to all kinds of businesses, but innovation changing the game has always been the case. instead of working in a factory binding books, somebody else is starting up their new business on the web with a killer app. as one industry shuts down, more and more surface ... and more people can get their written works out there in the digital age.

i tell you what i do miss. i miss the album. i miss the album jacket and the notion of 2 sides and the order of the songs on the record. while i miss that, i absolutely love walking around with 5000 songs in my pocket ...

I dont think what darin was saying was that he wished for a lack of progress. I think what he was saying and what i agreed with was sort of along the lines of what Detlef alluded to. I am not against progress or technology . I just feel we are losing the human element a little bit. I stare at this friggin blackberry all day for work. When i am on the bus on the way in I knock out a ton of email rather than having to wait until I get to work to do it. My point was more philosophical than technological . We are becoming drones.

I dont think what darin was saying was that he wished for a lack of progress. I think what he was saying and what i agreed with was sort of along the lines of what Detlef alluded to. I am not against progress or technology . I just feel we are losing the human element a little bit. I stare at this friggin blackberry all day for work. When i am on the bus on the way in I knock out a ton of email rather than having to wait until I get to work to do it. My point was more philosophical than technological . We are becoming drones.

I was tsk tsking him for opining the book might disappear, and the tsk tsk was for the implication: authors are disappearing if that's the case. :wacko:

Hypothetical: are you becoming a drone or are you allowing the tech to make you a drone. You could by a paper and read it on the way in. If your BB has it, you could browse the web so that you're not actually working before you get to work - but you run your own business, right? (realizing while I'm writing this) So you aren't checking into a cube for the day. That's a bit different, but a 9 to 5er that uses his BB to start work early is cheating himself a bit IMO, especially if he isn't salary.