[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cost of a web page

nuke'em ttg

If you have an account with almost any Internet Provider, you should be given a web address you can use to build a page. Or are you wanting to buy a domain name too?

My domain name is relatively inexpensive. I forget what, but it's maybe $5 a month or so.

I think the biggest cost issue is whether or not you build a traditional website or a blog. Obviously, if you want fancy moving graphics and complex things like that, you need to have someone build you a proper web-site. However, that also means that you need to know code in order to make changes.

Blogs have been getting slicker and slicker to the point where you can get them reasonably customized and look almost like a normal (albeit simple) website. Not only will a designer charge you a fraction the cost of building you a website to do one of these, you can go in and make changes yourself really easily. Well, most changes are really simple, others take a bit of work but few require actual code to pull off.

And the address is just like a website, it's not such and such.wordpress or anything like that.

Given how often we make changes to our website (menus and such), I would either need to learn code or it would be far too costly to maintain if we had a traditional website.

My domain name is relatively inexpensive. I forget what, but it's maybe $5 a month or so.

I think the biggest cost issue is whether or not you build a traditional website or a blog. Obviously, if you want fancy moving graphics and complex things like that, you need to have someone build you a proper web-site. However, that also means that you need to know code in order to make changes.

Blogs have been getting slicker and slicker to the point where you can get them reasonably customized and look almost like a normal (albeit simple) website. Not only will a designer charge you a fraction the cost of building you a website to do one of these, you can go in and make changes yourself really easily. Well, most changes are really simple, others take a bit of work but few require actual code to pull off.

And the address is just like a website, it's not such and such.wordpress or anything like that.

Given how often we make changes to our website (menus and such), I would either need to learn code or it would be far too costly to maintain if we had a traditional website.

My wife wants it original like my brochures not some set-up ya just type yer name in, i'm thinkin i'd have a freedom problem with that :wacko:

i'm already to busy, do i really need one? people just ask if i have a web site and i say yer lookin at it :wacko:

It really depends. It's an extension of your business, and there are some people who will discount you and move on to the next guy if you don't have a website.

It really depends. It's an extension of your business, and there are some people who will discount you and move on to the next guy if you don't have a website.

That is true this day and age. If a restaurant or some service place has no web site, I do not bother with them.

My wife wants it original like my brochures not some set-up ya just type yer name in, i'm thinkin i'd have a freedom problem with that :wacko:

We're not going to win any awards for design, but they do what they're supposed to and are "branded" with our logos. Again, I can't stress how much easier it is to deal with.

dos perros

Jujube

Honestly, they're both sort of a work in progress. I haven't been posting as much as I plan to but this vehicle does what I need it to. It allows people to sign up for an RSS feed, sign up for my e-mails, twitter, and facebook. Plus, it obviously gives me a platform to promote our beer dinners and such.

Like DMD says, you need to have a web page, and you don't want it looking like a teenager made it. But, if you're kicking and screaming just having one at all, I can't imagine that you're too hung up on having flash and chight like that.

Edited by detlef

Like DMD says, you need to have a web page, and you don't want it looking like a teenager made it. But, if you're kicking and screaming just having one at all, I can't imagine that you're too hung up on having flash and chight like that.

Exactly. And for nuke's business, you don't want flash anyway. You want a good clean website with a lot of content so the search engines like it.

Original won't be cheap if you're looking for something properly designed.

Exactly. And for nuke's business, you don't want flash anyway. You want a good clean website with a lot of content so the search engines like it.

Just say no to Flash - flash very bad for business.

why not start with a free Facebook and/or Twitter business page and see where it goes. At least you'll have a web presence with contact info and such.

Maybe Facebook but not Twitter. You need to develop brand loyalty first in order to get a decent twitter following for your brand/company, plus you need to devote an inordinate amount of time to decide WHY you want to use twitter for your business. If Nuke isn't writing content out there such as on a blog then twitter is pointless for him since he has zero web presence. Tweeting - "i just inspected a house. #irule" isn't going to get him anywhere. Facebook will help but it's not the solution, it's a tool to increase traffic to your actual site where you can further engage and interact with your audience.

I think I pay $112 a year to host my domain name. I think I may have to find another host though because they started charging $5/month for MySQL databases. I haven't had time to search around and see if I'm getting ripped or not.

I do my own website. I learned how to about a dozen years ago. I compared it to learning a foreign language. :wacko:

Maybe Facebook but not Twitter. You need to develop brand loyalty first in order to get a decent twitter following for your brand/company, plus you need to devote an inordinate amount of time to decide WHY you want to use twitter for your business. If Nuke isn't writing content out there such as on a blog then twitter is pointless for him since he has zero web presence. Tweeting - "i just inspected a house. #irule" isn't going to get him anywhere. Facebook will help but it's not the solution, it's a tool to increase traffic to your actual site where you can further engage and interact with your audience.

Absolutely agree. I've just started tweeting for the businesses within the last year. I've developed a decent number of followers, but the vast majority of my tweets link postings on the websites. Usually hyping an upcoming beer dinner or some such. Of course, we hype specials and the like, and I also try, at least every now and then, to just say something funny and random so there's a personal edge to it.

But I couldn't agree more. You need the website before anything else. No question. You can get away with a particularly slick FB page, but there are so many limitations with that. If you have a menu of services that you're looking to promote, there's simply no more effective way than a website or blog.

Absolutely agree. I've just started tweeting for the businesses within the last year. I've developed a decent number of followers, but the vast majority of my tweets link postings on the websites. Usually hyping an upcoming beer dinner or some such. Of course, we hype specials and the like, and I also try, at least every now and then, to just say something funny and random so there's a personal edge to it.

But I couldn't agree more. You need the website before anything else. No question. You can get away with a particularly slick FB page, but there are so many limitations with that. If you have a menu of services that you're looking to promote, there's simply no more effective way than a website or blog.

Great to hear, restaurants really benefit with cross promotions like that via web/social media. Social media also gives you an immediate avenue to address any issues a costumer might have on any given night. I was at a conference last week and they sited a case study on Yelp regarding a customer leaving a rather harsh comment over a year ago and it never was addressed. That comment still remains at the top of their page for the world to see. Proper social media monitoring AND/OR an owner that actually cares could have nipped the comment in the bud - acknowledge the issue, address it and hopefully get a customer back.

I think it was HP that recently hired their BIGGEST social media complainer - brilliant if you ask me.

Sorry to hijack the thread. I'm kind of a social media marketing nerd. :wacko:

I paid $10 for my domain for my blog. The software is stupid easy. If you want a static page with a list of options, you can do that. You can also also have updated pages too. Many different sites use Wordpress software as the basis for the webpage. There aren't any hosting fees associated beyond that.

I paid $10 for my domain for my blog. The software is stupid easy. If you want a static page with a list of options, you can do that. You can also also have updated pages too. Many different sites use Wordpress software as the basis for the webpage. There aren't any hosting fees associated beyond that.

Yup, super easy. Case in point. Every Monday is taco night. Went into Word to put tonight's tacos and entrees in there. Cut and pasted into my Wordpress site, grabbed the short link and tweeted and FB'd it. Took 10 minutes and more than 5 of it was actually writing the menu to Word (which is a step that I'd have to do regardless of whether or not I was going to post to a website.

Oh, and new page... :wacko:

Edited by detlef

Great to hear, restaurants really benefit with cross promotions like that via web/social media. Social media also gives you an immediate avenue to address any issues a costumer might have on any given night. I was at a conference last week and they sited a case study on Yelp regarding a customer leaving a rather harsh comment over a year ago and it never was addressed. That comment still remains at the top of their page for the world to see. Proper social media monitoring AND/OR an owner that actually cares could have nipped the comment in the bud - acknowledge the issue, address it and hopefully get a customer back.

I think it was HP that recently hired their BIGGEST social media complainer - brilliant if you ask me.

Sorry to hijack the thread. I'm kind of a social media marketing nerd. :wacko:

Just saw a sory on the news about airlines going heavy into soial media... Southwest i think it was, where they have a team that monitors their twitter account aroound the clock to address customer complaints/concerns pretty much right away if a gate agent wasn't able to help them.