[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jones to ATL

MustOfBeenDrunk

I think it really hurts Andre Johnson's value. They will both be playing for teams in the South, and Andre just started getting used to being drafted higher than Fitzgerald, but now all of a sudden there is someone else down there to steal the limelight away from him. His feelings are obviously hurt and he will get so depressed that he will just start batting down any passes thrown his way. Do NOT draft Andre Johnson if you know what is good for you!

I think this was a brilliant move by the Falcons, btw. They have all the pieces in place now to go all the way. Adding someone to take the pressure off their top offensive weapon is a great move. Could they have added a piece to defense? Sure but they have their core now, so why not add a dynamic playmaker to go along with your franchise QB who has 10 more years in this league. Props to the Falcons :wacko:

I think this was a brilliant move by the Falcons, btw. They have all the pieces in place now to go all the way. Adding someone to take the pressure off their top offensive weapon is a great move. Could they have added a piece to defense? Sure but they have their core now, so why not add a dynamic playmaker to go along with your franchise QB who has 10 more years in this league. Props to the Falcons :wacko:

Thing is, we won't know how much the Falcons overpaid until we see what happens in Free Agency, but they did say that they feel comfortable with alot of the young defensive guys they have in the works... So it probably makes more sense to address the D with veterans in Free Agency if you can, than it would to add more young developmental guys into the mix.

Not crazy with how much it costed, but couldn't be happier with the result, especially after we saw a run on O and D lineman, leaving very few solid options at the 27 pick.

Didn't the Falcons give up 48 pts to the Packers in the playoffs? Julio Jones may help the Falcons' offense stay on the field longer and run up the score, but their team defense still has to stop folks. The Falcons were exposed by the Packers. Obviously, the Falcons have some defensive problems to address before we can say that they have all the pieces in place.

How would a Falcons pick affect a Texans receiver :wacko:

Do you mean Roddy White? I would see his his value go up slightly for he would be open more often.

:lol: John ,,, yes my name rings true ,,, DRUNK & yes I meant Roddy ,, had Johnson on my mind because I just traded for him this morning and now have Roddy & Andre as my one two punch :tup:

Didn't the Falcons give up 48 pts to the Packers in the playoffs? Julio Jones may help the Falcons' offense stay on the field longer and run up the score, but their team defense still has to stop folks. The Falcons were exposed by the Packers. Obviously, the Falcons have some defensive problems to address before we can say that they have all the pieces in place.

Bingo. This team is still suspect on defense. Very lil pass rush outside an aging John Abraham. I love the move from a team stand point, but Im not sure he will be the fantasy receiver we could have hoped if he ended up in Washington, Cleveland or St Louis.

Really? I think that the move was ill-advised.

They gave up 5 picks for the guy - this year's 1st, 2nd and 4th round, and next year's 1st and 4th round.

Way too much IMO.

I think this was a brilliant move by the Falcons, btw. They have all the pieces in place now to go all the way.

48 points allowed in a home game playoff blowout.

I think the need for DL and LB help was much greater. They better hope Julio Jones is the stud they think he is, because they paid a kings ransom for him.

Well, in the NFL that phrase is a relative one. You can never have ALL the pieces in place. I was referring to their stellar record and they're a relatively young team with more room to grow.

Well, in the NFL that phrase is a relative one. You can never have ALL the pieces in place. I was referring to their stellar record and they're a relatively young team with more room to grow.

They'll also be playing a first place schedule and have to fend off the Saints and the Bucs. That division may very well be a blood bath. Any of the three could take the division, and at least one probably won't see the playoffs.

I just don't see the sense in trading away multiple picks to strengthen a strength when you have obvious weakness on the other side of the ball. If Jones isn't elite then the trade will be a massive failure that could potentially set them back a ways. But this kind of stuff is why we love the draft.

They'll also be playing a first place schedule and have to fend off the Saints and the Bucs. That division may very well be a blood bath. Any of the three could take the division, and at least one probably won't see the playoffs.

I just don't see the sense in trading away multiple picks to strengthen a strength when you have obvious weakness on the other side of the ball. If Jones isn't elite then the trade will be a massive failure that could potentially set them back a ways. But this kind of stuff is why we love the draft.

It's quite possible they gave up too much, especially next year's picks. But adding what appears to be a 'can't miss' WR (who blew up at the combine with a broken foot) to a team with a young franchise QB that has at least 10 more years is smart, imo. It's not like every year produces high quality WRs and this year had 2 of them.

The Falcons have been impressive with their front office moves and I think giving them the benefit of the doubt (that they know what they're doing) is fair. It's not like we're talking about the Lions here who have a history of making bonehead draft picks. Just like Peyton Manning in Indy, the Falcons strength lies in their offense and their leader Matt Ryan. Roddy White has 5 years left and it will take Julio a good 2-4 years to reach his potential and there may not be another Julio for years to come. It's all just speculation right now and I choose to speculate that this was a brilliant move :wacko:

They gave up 5 picks for the guy - this year's 1st, 2nd and 4th round, and next year's 1st and 4th round.

Way too much IMO.

+1.

The Falcons may have let their win-loss record go to their head. I love their team, but they're more than 1 explosive WR away from being a complete team. They just mortgaged the next 2 years, so I hope I'm wrong. Can one player ever be worth 5? Only if you're completely stacked on both sides of the ball, which the Falcons are not.

Ask the Lion's fans how that worked out? Didn't they draft 3 "can't miss" WRs only to have two of them be complete busts. There is now a ton of pressure on this kid to be the next Jerry Rice.

:wacko:

Yeah, I wouldn't really compare the Falcons organization to the decisions of the team that drafted horrendously and were still pretty much forced to take Calvin after failing that many times... And the next "Jerry Rice" comparisons? Ummm, he's actually on the one team where he's not going to be asked to be the top target, just play his role. He's a team-first guy and a great blocker, something the Falcons look for, and after TD and Co. have built a team that went from worst to first in no time, I'm going to guess he might jsut know what he's doing...

+1000

Ask the Lion's fans how that worked out? Didn't they draft 3 "can't miss" WRs only to have two of them be complete busts. There is now a ton of pressure on this kid to be the next Jerry Rice.

Let me get that full quote for you:

what appears to be a 'can't miss' WR (who blew up at the combine with a broken foot)

The Falcons are much better at drafting than the Lions used to be - apples to oranges. I don't think there's tons of pressure with Roddy White, the best WR in the NFL on the other side. I think it give him a good 2-4 years to grow into an elite WR. Perfect if you ask me.

:wacko:

Yeah, I wouldn't really compare the Falcons organization to the decisions of the team that drafted horrendously and were still pretty much forced to take Calvin after failing that many times... And the next "Jerry Rice" comparisons? Ummm, he's actually on the one team where he's not going to be asked to be the top target, just play his role. He's a team-first guy and a great blocker, something the Falcons look for, and after TD and Co. have built a team that went from worst to first in no time, I'm going to guess he might jsut know what he's doing...

My point was that the WR might be one of the hardest positions to draft. I just through Detroit out their as an example because it was the most obvious.

Maybe it is just me but it seems that giving up 5 picks, including 2 firsts and a second, for a guy who is going to play second fiddle to Roddy White is a bit much. Maybe Jones turns out to be a super stud and the trade will work out but if he winds up being an above average #2 WR then it was a bad deal.

And don't give me that worst to first crap. Six times In the last 7 years in the NFC South, the team who finished in last place won the division the next year.

Way too much IMO.

They made a deal the Browns couldn't refuse.... I agree with u 100% but I'm looking at it from the other sideline being a Browns fan. Browns made it clear they weren't looking for any top reciever and were going to beef up the D. The people they wanted were still going to be there in the late 1st rd and early 2 rd. Granted they did pick up a WR late 2nd rd but they went DT and DE first. I think the Browns lucked out and got the best deal of the draft by far.

As for Jones.... I have this sneaky suspision he's the next Braylon Edwards... Great athlete but just can't catch the football...

Let me get that full quote for you:

The Falcons are much better at drafting than the Lions used to be - apples to oranges. I don't think there's tons of pressure with Roddy White, the best WR in the NFL on the other side. I think it give him a good 2-4 years to grow into an elite WR. Perfect if you ask me.

Falcons will most likely not have Gonzo or Turner in 2-4 years. Yeah they will possibly have one of the top WR corps but now they have to think about TE & RB.

I like teams being aggressive but I think they over-paid for a #2 WR when WR wasn't a big need.