[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Portland Oregon . . tell me about it

bpwallace49

Thanks Big John!!!!!!!!

I visited there once and the thing that I found disturbing was that the homeless are a lot younger than you would expect cause they're burnt out meth heads. These meth head loiterers were common place. Other than that, beautiful area. Meth heads are not friendly, but everyone else is. I like Washington better, but it's right there on the border. Also good tax situation there.

Edited by electricrelish

Very cool town/city. A ton of my friends live there because they wanted the Seattle type experience without the size and/or expenses. Lot of good restaurants (lot of good food carts actually) and a unique town from the perspective of what it offers for the size. I'd take it over the mdwest any day of the week.

So I may have a job opportunity that would require me to live in/near Portland Oregon as my "home base".

I havent even been there yet, anyone live there, visit there, positive/negaotoves?

TIA

How near do you need to be? I live in Bend, which is 2 1/2-3 hours away, but WAY different in weather (sunnier but way colder and 40 inches of snow) Culturally they are simliar but Bend has only 60,000 people. I can tell you about Bend, but have only visited Portland. We considered living there but it was just too cloudy for us coming from CA, and just a tad too big.

So I may have a job opportunity that would require me to live in/near Portland Oregon as my "home base".

I havent even been there yet, anyone live there, visit there, positive/negaotoves?

TIA

The left coast would be perfect for you! You'd fit right in and be much closer to left coast buddies. You could share your Josh Gordon while living in the same commune! How cool is that?

Edited by tosberg34

How near do you need to be? I live in Bend, which is 2 1/2-3 hours away, but WAY different in weather (sunnier but way colder and 40 inches of snow) Culturally they are simliar but Bend has only 60,000 people. I can tell you about Bend, but have only visited Portland. We considered living there but it was just too cloudy for us coming from CA, and just a tad too big.

I would be based out of Portland due to the need to be near airports, so a 2 hour drive probably wouldnt be my cup of tea . .

It would be horrible to root for the Seattle Seahawks and simply wait for the other team to mess up since you can't win on your own during the playoffs. Just hold that snap, forchrissakes.

Just watch a couple episodes of Portlandia. You'll get it.

The hippies are harmless. The beer is awesome. It does rain.

This, in a nutshell. Very close to some great coastal drives and experiences. Great golf, even better beer. LOTS of bikes, LOTS.

I also know someone moving there - any suggestions on nearby areas to live (or to avoid)? They are going to rent for awhile before buying a house, but thoughts on areas to rent or buy appreciated. Oh they're roughly late 20s and she doesn't work but he makes pretty good coin, so I'm guessing sorta mid-range pricing, generally.

I also know someone moving there - any suggestions on nearby areas to live (or to avoid)? They are going to rent for awhile before buying a house, but thoughts on areas to rent or buy appreciated. Oh they're roughly late 20s and she doesn't work but he makes pretty good coin, so I'm guessing sorta mid-range pricing, generally.

The east side is the area for twenty somethings. going through a great renovation and all the hot spots are opening over there. Alberta, Killingsworth, etc.....good area.

I live on the west side, but have a lot of dinners on the east side.

I would be based out of Portland due to the need to be near airports, so a 2 hour drive probably wouldnt be my cup of tea . .

We do have an airport but direct flights only to SF, Denver, SLC, Portland, and Seattle, plus Allegiance to Phoenix and Vegas.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia