[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Typical East Texas Fued - Dog Killer

Scooby's Hubby

So the lady was warned to keep her dogs in her own yard, completely disregarded it, and is now pissed at the legal consequences she was told would happen? Sounds to me that both parties disregarded the well being of the poor dog. If I had a gun-touting hick living next door to me, and he told me he'd kill my dog if she were to enter his yard...uh, I'd make sure she didn't go in his yard :wacko:

So the lady was warned to keep her dogs in her own yard, completely disregarded it, and is now pissed at the legal consequences she was told would happen? Sounds to me that both parties disregarded the well being of the poor dog. If I had a gun-touting hick living next door to me, and he told me he'd kill my dog if she were to enter his yard...uh, I'd make sure she didn't go in his yard :wacko:

I must have missed that part of the article. What legal consequences was she warned about if her dog had gone into the neighbor's yard?

Not giving her a free pass though, she should have kept her pet on a chain or something to prevent it from wandering off.

This is one of those grey areas where I believe the guy should have not shot the dog, but has every right to be pissed. He probably should have winged the dog owner instead, dogs don't always know what boundaries not to cross.

I have had a couple of occasions at my old house where people would let their leashed dogs poop on my lawn and not clean it up. Then we had the one dude who would ride his bike and his dog would chase him around, unleashed, and would poop and pee wherever it wanted to, he and I about came to blows one day, but he never came by my house again.

I believe he's referring to the legal right of the guy to shoot the dog if it's on his property.

Correct...he told her point blank "If your dog comes on my property, I'll shoot it". Period. Pretty cut and dry. Who knows why...maybe he was raising chicks or other small animals and had problems with dogs before. Whatever, it was his right, and upheld by the police when they came to investigate.

She knew the consequences, and allowed it to happen anyway. Almost testing him to see if he'd do it. Especially if, as the article says, she was chatting on her porch while her dogs roamed where they wish. I blame her as much as the dipweed who pulled the trigger.

And I agree with SEC's assertion that "dogs don't know what boundaries not to cross"...which is exactly why this owner should have kept better care of her pets.

In a story full of losers, the dog itself got the worst of it.....

So in Texas, if any animal wanders into your yard, you can legally shoot it?

Sec. 42.092.AACRUELTY TO NONLIVESTOCK ANIMALS.

B. A person commits an offense if the person intentionally,

knowingly, or recklessly:

(1)tortures an animal or in a cruel manner kills or

causes serious bodily injury to an animal;

(2)without the owner ’s effective consent, kills,

administers poison to, or causes serious bodily injury to an

animal;

(3)fails unreasonably to provide necessary food,

water, care, or shelter for an animal in the person ’s custody;

(4)abandons unreasonably an animal in the person ’s

custody;

(5)transports or confines an animal in a cruel

manner;

(6)without the owner ’s effective consent, causes

bodily injury to an animal;

(7)causes one animal to fight with another animal, if

either animal is not a dog;

(8)uses a live animal as a lure in dog race training

or in dog coursing on a racetrack; or

(9)seriously overworks an animal

(e)It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection B(2)

or (6) that:

(1)the animal was discovered on the person ’s property

in the act of or after injuring or killing the person ’s livestock

animals or damaging the person ’s crops and that the person killed or

injured the animal at the time of this discovery;

I don't think digging a hole near a rabbit cage qualifies under this part of the statute, but then again I'm no lawyer.

Link to statute

ETA: Too many format edits to this post. :wacko:

Edited by SeductiveNun

It's not hard to think this woman is a freaking idiot and is, at least as much as anyone, to blame for this whole mess. I am a huge dog person and think that any d-bag who shoots a dog that is not posing an imminent danger is a total cuff-wad. But that, by no means, excuses the woman in this case.

Which, I believe is what swammi is saying. Not, by any stretch, saying it's cool to shoot a dog for coming on to your yard, but certainly saying that, if you're freaking warned this might happen. Step one is to make sure your dog doesn't freaking go onto dude's yard. Step two is to figure out how to diffuse the situation in case, at some point, it ends up happening. She did neither, and a poor animal suffered for her stupidity.

It's not hard to think this woman is a freaking idiot and is, at least as much as anyone, to blame for this whole mess. I am a huge dog person and think that any d-bag who shoots a dog that is not posing an imminent danger is a total cuff-wad. But that, by no means, excuses the woman in this case.

Which, I believe is what swammi is saying. Not, by any stretch, saying it's cool to shoot a dog for coming on to your yard, but certainly saying that, if you're freaking warned this might happen. Step one is to make sure your dog doesn't freaking go onto dude's yard. Step two is to figure out how to diffuse the situation in case, at some point, it ends up happening. She did neither, and a poor animal suffered for her stupidity.

I agree with Det. She knew the consequences, she should have taken measures to keep the dog out of his yard. he's still a dick for actually shooting the dog.

+1

I agree with Det. She knew the consequences, she should have taken measures to keep the dog out of his yard. he's still a dick for actually shooting the dog.

+1

I'll side with the gun owner on this one.

+1, I used to live in a neighborhood where someone had a pitbull. If that dog ever came in my yard I would definitely have shot it. I told the neighbor as such, I am not even going to chance it with my kids.

I :heart: Texas

I think stories like this (assuming we have gottent the whole story from the article) along with the reaction it elicits make me thankful I've moved to France.

I'm also beginning to hate the invocation of "personal repsponsibility" to defend and justify unchristian, uncivilized, unacceptable, and downright misanthropic behavior.

I think stories like this (assuming we have gottent the whole story from the article) along with the reaction it elicits make me thankful I've moved to France.

I'm also beginning to hate the invocation of "personal repsponsibility" to defend and justify unchristian, uncivilized, unacceptable, and downright misanthropic behavior.

Isn't there a hotel maid some where you should be sexually assaulting?

Edited by yo mama

she should be shot.

As some of you may know, I am half French and half american. I have spent almost half of my life in each country, and though I 'feel' more French, I am culturally really 50/50 (my poker buddies here call me The American). I am just as comfortable in both cultures. But every so often I just "don t get it". I really do not get why the french want to defend Polanski. I mean it is just completely foreign to me. And here is the converse, where I see people not only tolerating, but applauding some of the most uncivilized behavior one can imagine.

Just don't get it.