[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

vid of joplin tornado

polksalet

Holy crap, this is a really awful deal. These poor, poor people. I was told today that 75% of Joplin has some form of damage, and 25% of that is destroyed-gone. At work I volunteered to go down and help run fuel or help however I could. They told us not to go because there are so many people there to help its choas.

If any of you all are from that area and need help in any way I am about 3 hours away from there and would help in any way I can.

This is probably one of the more terrifying videos I've seen and listen to. The two or three men's voices I heard during the video were very calm and did the right thing. I commend them for maintaining their cool with all of those children around.

So today I asked my boss if I could take a few days of my vacation to load up my truck with some water and canned goods and go to Joplin and help out. He told me I could take the vacation if I wanted to, but authorities were stopping cars before you get into Joplin and giving out tickets for trying to enter the city unauthorized and turning them around. Has anyone in this area heard about this?

So tragic. I just can not believe the things that I have been seeing. These things just make me hug my kids extra hard each night. I really pray for all the people in Joplin.

fingfootball - I do believe that to be true. We had a much smaller tornado close to home here a little while back and they actually said that you could not enter the area as it was being guarded. It sucks as I am sure you mean well but there are total creeps in the world that are just looking for an opportunity.

So tragic. I just can not believe the things that I have been seeing. These things just make me hug my kids extra hard each night. I really pray for all the people in Joplin.

fingfootball - I do believe that to be true. We had a much smaller tornado close to home here a little while back and they actually said that you could not enter the area as it was being guarded. It sucks as I am sure you mean well but there are total creeps in the world that are just looking for an opportunity.

Found out this morning that a cousin of mine died in the Home Depot. Kinda got me fired up to go help.

So today I asked my boss if I could take a few days of my vacation to load up my truck with some water and canned goods and go to Joplin and help out. He told me I could take the vacation if I wanted to, but authorities were stopping cars before you get into Joplin and giving out tickets for trying to enter the city unauthorized and turning them around. Has anyone in this area heard about this?

Not surprising. This early after the storm it is extremely dangerous and unfortunately you would be shocked at the numbers of people just coming to gawk. Until the National Guard etc. get roads, gas lines, electrical lines & fires cleared and, as sad as it is to say, they are able to remove all the bodies, the only people who are going to be let in or out are service workers & home/business owners. They very likely will have a curfew set up as well. Your best bet will be to see if any churches or local organizations are setting up a relief effort. it's the best way to really make an impact.

I would like to add, for those who are able to help. You just have no idea how much it will mean to these people. Bless you for that.

Edited by rajncajn

so sorry to hear about your cousin :wacko:

+1

We've had 8 tornados in the area tonight. Riding out the last potential cell right now. None are anything close to the f5 that hit Joplin, but they are all pretty intense. I cant imagine going through anything like that. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone up there.

This is probably one of the more terrifying videos I've seen and listen to. The two or three men's voices I heard during the video were very calm and did the right thing. I commend them for maintaining their cool with all of those children around.

+1 :wacko:

So sorry to hear about your cousin, ff. My condolences. :wacko:

You know.....those big box stores have no chance in a direct hit. Makes me shutter.

Thoughts and prayers to all in Joplin and those who have friends and relatives there. This is just so devastating. I'm sure I've told some of you that I saw the Xenia destruction shortly after the 1974 outbreak. The only difference is that Xenia is so much smaller than Joplin, so when a half mile wide tornado cuts a swath through town.....that's it. There is no town left. But this is every bit as bad. More so with the loss of life.