[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Olive Garden

nuke'em ttg

I realize all that. However, the closest thing to an insult that was lobbed towards the pro Olive Garden crowd here before Darin came in with "people can like what they want" (which, again, is totally valid even if it does inspire people needlessly shelter themselves), was the bit about, "If you like Olive Garden, you don't really appreciate food." And that's actually a fair statement. Sure, it could be worded more delicately.

How about "you don't really care about it?" Maybe throw an "enough" in there?

Or it doesn't matter that much? Or its not important? :wacko:

I don't want to make anyone sad.

Edited by Furd

How about "you don't really care about it?" Maybe throw an "enough" in there?

Or it doesn't matter that much? Or its not important? :wacko:

I don't want to make anyone sad.

Maybe we should ask your ghey alter ego, since he probably has feelings and stuff. :tup:

I love the bang bang shrimp from Bonefish and the Chicken Marsala from Carrabba's. If that makes me evil, then so be it.

My son is a bartender at Bonefish. Tuesday's are $5 Bang-Bang shrimp AND are coupled with great drink specials. Guess where I am usually found on Tue. :wacko:

I'll also admit I was miffed the first time I ever ate there. Going to an Italian place that serves mostly pasta I was intent on ordering one of my favorites, gnocchi. Of course they don't serve gnocchi except some deep fried app. :wacko: I had to console myself by eating breadsticks and salad till I couldn't eat any more

What Italian past place doesn't have gnocchi?

I'll also admit I was miffed the first time I ever ate there. Going to an Italian place that serves mostly pasta I was intent on ordering one of my favorites, gnocchi. Of course they don't serve gnocchi except some deep fried app. :wacko: I had to console myself by eating breadsticks and salad till I couldn't eat any more

What Italian past place doesn't have gnocchi?

I've been to plenty of Italian restaurants that have significant pasta choices not feature gnocchi. It's kind of a specialty pasta that I believe may be more popular in some regions than others. And I mean that in two ways: first, regionally here in the states... as in I'd expect to see it in a joint on the east coast but if it were off the menu in California, it'd make more sense. Two, it varies regionally in Italy as well.

Have you ever had Argentinean gnocchi? It's spelled ñoqui and is delicious. Lots of Italian immigrants in Argentina.

There's a hugh difference between best tasting and best.

Yellowtail wine is popular -plenty of people like it. Buts its swill. If you like swill, more power to you - drink your fill. People that really appreciate wine can't drink it.

Same for Bud Light, etc.

If those are your drinks of choice, it means that you don't really appreciate wine or beer (or maybe you don't have a job). Which isn't bad or good - to each his own. Ain't nobody ripping nobody. If a Yellowtail wine/Bud Light drinker takes that personally, he/she should lighten up.

I like Bud Light... :wacko:

What you said was just plain mean. :tup:

Edited by buddahj

I've been to plenty of Italian restaurants that have significant pasta choices not feature gnocchi. It's kind of a specialty pasta that I believe may be more popular in some regions than others. And I mean that in two ways: first, regionally here in the states... as in I'd expect to see it in a joint on the east coast but if it were off the menu in California, it'd make more sense. Two, it varies regionally in Italy as well.

Have you ever had Argentinean gnocchi? It's spelled ñoqui and is delicious. Lots of Italian immigrants in Argentina.

maybe

All the ones in the Northeast have. Half the pizza places around me have it too

maybe

All the ones in the Northeast have. Half the pizza places around me have it too

Yeah, y'all got some real paisans up there, so of course they're going to have the real deal.

Frou-frou Italian joints out on the west coast sometimes forget to keep it real. :wacko:

There was one place in Orange County (recommended to nuke for his upcoming trip) that had fantastic gnocchi. But the owner's a fresh-off-the-boat paisan. I miss Nick. :tup:

i don't know about that darin. up here, many places (both northern and southern italian) have gnocchi. i most often see it with a pesto and/or cream sauce. less frequently with a red sauce. lately it seems a lot of more modern italian places have been either giving them a good sear or deep frying them and serving them with a truffled cream sauce.

i don't know about that darin. up here, many places (both northern and southern italian) have gnocchi. i most often see it with a pesto and/or cream sauce. less frequently with a red sauce. lately it seems a lot of more modern italian places have been either giving them a good sear or deep frying them and serving them with a truffled cream sauce.

mmmm

order that at OG!

:wacko:

Several of the spots in SoCal I'd eat at didn't have gnocchi. The only joint that did served it in a pink - half cream / half marinara - sauce. And again, this was the guy that was fresh off the boat Italian. I always thought of it as more of a traditional Italian pasta so perhaps it didn't make it on the menu of places run by non-Italians. And my best friend's family - from Naples - never really cooked it. :wacko:

Several of the spots in SoCal I'd eat at didn't have gnocchi. The only joint that did served it in a pink - half cream / half marinara - sauce. And again, this was the guy that was fresh off the boat Italian. I always thought of it as more of a traditional Italian pasta so perhaps it didn't make it on the menu of places run by non-Italians. And my best friend's family - from Naples - never really cooked it. :wacko:

:tup: i used to think it was a northern dish (because i most often saw it with either pesto or a pesto cream sauce), but it actually originated closer to rome. i would say that i see it less often (but still see it offered) in places that are more southern, but we gravitate towards more northern cuisine.

Yeah, y'all got some real paisans up there, so of course they're going to have the real deal.

Frou-frou Italian joints out on the west coast sometimes forget to keep it real. :wacko:

There was one place in Orange County (recommended to nuke for his upcoming trip) that had fantastic gnocchi. But the owner's a fresh-off-the-boat paisan. I miss Nick. :lol:

:rofl: whatisit, that Philadephia joint looks great too, wrote down the addresses :tup: i'll hit'm

To clarify, you can recommend wine/beer pairings all you want based on increased wine knowledge than the average diner. I do it in every club I have been at. If they disagree, God bless. It isnt my place to look down on them for what they prefer, that is their right and everyone has a different palette. Celebrate your preferences all you want, but when you turn it into looking down on someone becasue they like something that is SOOO generic and mainstream, it goes to a level of douchebaggery. There are no right and wrong answers when it comes to food and beverage, just suggestions and preferences. This isnt like solving an algebra equation.

Lead the horse to water, do whatever you can to educate based on your experiences when asked for your advice, and what happens, happens. Getting obstinate and looking down on people that like Olive Garden may give you a false sense of superiority, nothing more. Keep in mind that peoiple not in our business may just not care as much as we do. If you want to have a discussion about celebrating mediocrity, I recommend the "American Idol" thread.

That eing said, my wife likes Olive Garden so we go there occasionally with the kids. It is consistent, and unsurprising, but by no means "bad". If you like and prefer it God bless . . . that means that it should be easier for me to get a table at a restaurant I really want to go to.

Your posts get better with age. Good stuff.

E2A: FWIW, I consider myself a 'foodie'. I go to OG maybe once a year and I really like that 'alfredo' sauce with their breadsticks. Any entree I've had is ok - not terrible or not good but decent enough I don't loathe going back every year.

Edited by Brentastic

:wacko: i used to think it was a northern dish (because i most often saw it with either pesto or a pesto cream sauce), but it actually originated closer to rome. i would say that i see it less often (but still see it offered) in places that are more southern, but we gravitate towards more northern cuisine.

I think I confused myself, and then everyone else by talking about regionality :rofl: ... I never meant to bring up Italian regions, I really just thought more Italian joints on the east coast would feature gnocchi since they were likely owned by first or second generation Italians as opposed to a place like California. I frequented at least 4-5 in SoCal and only one was owned by a straight-up paisan.

:rofl: whatisit, that Philadephia joint looks great too, wrote down the addresses :tup: i'll hit'm

Nick's, get the pizza. Philadelphia Sandwiches, get the Italian sausage sandwich. I can't believe how badly I miss those places. It almost makes me want to move home. :lol: