[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vick just doesn't get it....

tazinib1

You pulled the "race card," or to be more specific, the "black card" (as we so commonly see it used exclusively when referring to black people these days, though oddly never for latinos, asians, native americans or other ethnic minorities who have ultimately come from difficult backgrounds as well). It's a classic example of modern day reverse racism, ie if you're not black you can't possibly know what it's like to be black, as though that would excuse one's behavior so much as one iota even if it were true. But that whole line of reasoning seems to always be aimed at white people, as though we are supposed to feel guilty for what other white people in past generations have done to other black people in past generations and excuse some wrongful argument or behavior because of it. I'm no more responsible for what some white schmuck did back then than I am for what some other guy with brown eyes did, or some other guy from New Hampshire, or who's 5'9, or has a father with the name Robert or dog by the name of Harlo.

Martin Luther kind was black and lived in a much more difficult period of time for black people/went through a lot more than Vick and his spoiled with talent and athletic ability self ever did. Pretty sure I never read of him ever electing to abuse helpless animals for entertainment purposes. Don't think he ever went by the name "Ron Mexico" either.

Edited by Crazysight

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How was my argument racist?

Don't even bother. Bronco Billy is obviously a really smart and insightful guy when he wants to be, but when he gets into attack mode, he'll hunt for whatever he can to try to cherry pick and twist it on you, logic be damned. It's a gift I guess. Billy, you'd fit in really well with the sensationalist media that makes up these junk pieces...

Don't even bother. Bronco Billy is obviously a really smart and insightful guy when he wants to be, but when he gets into attack mode, he'll hunt for whatever he can to try to cherry pick and twist it on you, logic be damned. It's a gift I guess. Billy, you'd fit in really well with the sensationalist media that makes up these junk pieces...

junk pieces? Have you read the entire article? I thought it was actually favorable in Vick's direction, or at least was trying to be. But Vick's on words got in the way.

junk pieces? Have you read the entire article? I thought it was actually favorable in Vick's direction, or at least was trying to be. But Vick's on words got in the way.

I was referring to the sarcastic Yahoo article posted here and the ones being posted everywhere to stir up contreversy and ratings. I obviously had no problem with him speaking about what goes on in underground world of dogfighting.

Edited by delusions of granduer

Like I said to start, Vick's problem is trying to get everyone to like him. He can't win those people over, like BB. That's fine but he needs to realize that. I don't think he said anything out of line. He just can't tell his story without being criticized. And if anything, that's the sad thing. Done.

BB, no hard feelings. :shake:

I said when Vick was reinstated that I felt he was saying and doing the things he needed to do and I didn't believe he was genuine in his "remorse" (for lack of a better word atm)...I even linked to a quote (not sure if BJ can find it) where he wasn't accepting the blame....I wasn't happy he came to philly to play for my favorite team...I wanted the team to win, but in spite of him not because of him...sorry if that seems lame but that is how I fell...now with all that said, after reading the link I have to say that when I read it I wasn't outraged :wacko:

Edited by keggerz

I said when Vick was reinstated that I felt he was saying and doing the things he needed to do and I didn't believe he was genuine in his "remorse" (for lack of a better word atm)...I even linked to a quote (not sure if BJ can find it) where he wasn't accepting the blame....I wasn't happy he came to philly to play for my favorite team...I wanted the team to win, but in spite of him not because of him...sorry if that seems lame but that is how I fell...now with all that said, after reading the link I have to say that when I read it I wasn't outraged :wacko:

I'm with you .... after reading what he was capable of doing to those dogs I don't for a minute buy that he believes what he did was wrong. The simple fact that he was capable of such acts speaks volumes to me about his character. The only 'regret' I believe he feels is that he got caught and had to go to jail.

The only thing I believe Vick learned out of all this is how to manipulate the media so as to represent himself as a reformed "dog lover". I'm not buying it, nor will I ever buy it. He wouldn't be the first public persona to wear a false facade in public, nor will he be the last.

I'm not sure how the color of his skin has anything to do with his character (or lack thereof) or his behavior. It seems to me like the introduction of the color of his skin into this argument is a weak attempt to excuse his character/behavior in some way - or possibly an attempt to deflect away from the discussion at hand.

I will give Vick this much ... apparently, for some unknown reason, his time in prison was instrumental in teaching him how to actually play the position of QB

I'm with you .... after reading what he was capable of doing to those dogs I don't for a minute buy that he believes what he did was wrong. The simple fact that he was capable of such acts speaks volumes to me about his character. The only 'regret' I believe he feels is that he got caught and had to go to jail.

The only thing I believe Vick learned out of all this is how to manipulate the media so as to represent himself as a reformed "dog lover". I'm not buying it, nor will I ever buy it. He wouldn't be the first public persona to wear a false facade in public, nor will he be the last.

I'm not sure how the color of his skin has anything to do with his character (or lack thereof) or his behavior. It seems to me like the introduction of the color of his skin into this argument is a weak attempt to excuse his character/behavior in some way - or possibly an attempt to deflect away from the discussion at hand.

I will give Vick this much ... apparently, for some unknown reason, his time in prison was instrumental in teaching him how to actually play the position of QB

I agree with this as well and the whole culture thing I never bought into either. I grew up in a culture where cock fighting was prevalent and widely accepted, even amongst my own family, but I've never personally thought of it as something that was OK to do. The whole race issue IMO was completely out of left field as well. The main issue here is whether you are a person who can accept that Vick is regretful or not and there is no right or wrong answer there. it's just an opinion. I don't think he is & therefore it turns my stomach to see him living the good life with so many people singing his praises. But I do believe to deny him the opportunity after he's served his time based on my opinion would be horribly wrong.

I'll say this much. Anyone who is convinced that, by reading the entire article, they've got the whole picture and that nothing Vick said was taken out of context, has never seen an interview transcript. Because I can assure you that 99.9% of interviews posted in media are edited down. Very much so. They'd be virtually unreadable if they weren't.

I had a friend who published a series of interviews that he made a point of not editing out principle and they were impossible to get through.

But, once you start editing them, it's a slippery slope because, even if you're just doing it to clean it up a bit, you can cross the line.

I'm not touching the rest of this debate with a 10 ft pole, but just thought I'd mention this.

Oh give me a break. Yes I agree he needs to keep his mouth shut and just play football, but some of y'all are just waiting to jump on Vick for anything he says or does...

What was so bad about what he said? Seems to me the point he's trying to make is that it wasn't just an isolated thing Vick was involved in, it's totally a cultural thing, which I can attest to, knowing people who've rescued a number pitbulls from fighting rings... So basically his point is that while most people have dogs, poor people FIGHT dogs for money... What's untrue about that, and why shouldn't he let people know it's a societal thing where he wasn't the only one? He did say "I know that it's wrong. But people act like it's some crazy thing they never heard of. They don't know."

All this is is a case of a man trying to make people understand how he could do such heinous things, but he's already owned up to it before now and payed for it, so why not make people understand? It isn't like he had to do that, or anything, when he's already getting paid again (and honestly I think that's what really irks some of you more than the statements).

And yes, Bronco Billy, just like the interview where they asked Eli if he compared himself to Tom Brady, and then only published his answer to make him sound conceited, this is a clear case of taking the guy out of context to gain ratings, because well, readers like you are jumping all over the opportunity to complain about it...

+1000

Very well stated

Kind of ironic though, that you're using my statements about personally knowing pitbull rescues as ammo for me somehow condoning it. I have 2 shelter rescues myself...

Takes a special person. I had to look long and hard to find a dog rescue with no pit or rot in in. And to rescue Pitbulls from a situation like this and take them into you home?!?! Again, it takes a special person.

How are Michael Vick's actions any different than Pedro Martinez or Juan Marichal's?

:wacko:

A video of Martinez and Marichal at a cockfight was posted this week on YouTube and it showed the two laughing before releasing the roosters. They took part as honorary “soltadores,” the word used to describe the person who puts the animal to fight.

The fight takes place in their home country, the Dominican Republic, where cockfighting is legal and popular. It is banned throughout the United States.

Animal fighting is a significant part of many cultures. Why is dog fighting any worse than cock or bull fighting?

Edited by jetsfan

How are Michael Vick's actions any different than Pedro Martinez or Juan Marichal's?

:wacko:

Animal fighting is a significant part of many cultures. Why is dog fighting any worse than cock or bull fighting?

Because dogs are far more highly evolved creatures?

Its still wrong, just not "as" wrong.

Because dogs are far more highly evolved creatures?

Its still wrong, just not "as" wrong.

Thank God it isn't legal to fight the most highly-evolved creatures and bet on them...oh wait. :wacko:

But to Jet's post, its perception more than anything. I love dogs, and have posted about our family's sadness in losing two of our beloved pets. Fact is, dog-fighting and cock-fighting (and in my mind, sport hunting) are no different at their core....killing animals for enjoyment.

Which is why if I can't forgive Vick and his repulsive actions, I certainly can't tolerate a gut who blows away a deer, and mounts it's head on his living-room wall.

Thank God it isn't legal to fight the most highly-evolved creatures and bet on them...oh wait. :wacko:

But to Jet's post, its perception more than anything. I love dogs, and have posted about our family's sadness in losing two of our beloved pets. Fact is, dog-fighting and cock-fighting (and in my mind, sport hunting) are no different at their core....killing animals for enjoyment.

Which is why if I can't forgive Vick and his repulsive actions, I certainly can't tolerate a gut who blows away a deer, and mounts it's head on his living-room wall.

Just to be clear, I am not condoning animal fighting for sport. However, some of these 'sports' are truly a part of a nation's culture and someone raised there may not believe there is anything wrong with it.

I believe you wacked the proverbial mole on the head. We at the huddle view dogs differently than other animals because we make them a part of our families.

I do support hunting/slaughtering for food, as meat is delicious. :tup:

Damn. Wouldn't want to make a mistake around you. Guess you don't believe in people fixing themselves. That's fine, to each his own!

a mistake is 2+2 is 5. he didnt make a mistaske, that was a long hx of abhoribble behavior. But he would like a dog, please, he should never be given the privilege of owning a dog. When my dog got attacked by the mastiff and I heard the screaming and absolute agony he suffered, I dont see any possible way of getting enjoyment out of that.