[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Official Packers- Saints

Zooty

I really don't like that last play call. Brees just rallied your team and marched down the field. Let him throw it in. Just puzzling. :wacko:

I can't say I disagree, especially with how telegraphed the play was with the power set. But I'd bet we would see double how many "why didn't they run it posts" if the pass play didn't work.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another over-hyped TE.

Maybe,but I went up against Rodgers in my local tonight and he only outscored Graham by 12.1 points. He seemed to have a healthy amount of targets and I still think he would have had an easy TD earlier in the game on the 4th and short if Brees would have pulled the trigger.

They should have faked up the middle and called a HB sweep. Going through the gut fooled nobody...

Yep...there was nobody containing on the edge....even Brees could have beaten the CB to the pylon on a QB keeper. Probably the last thing I would do is call a play up the middle into five 300-lb linemen with three 260-lb LBs right behind them.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

Yep...there was nobody containing on the edge....even Brees could have beaten the CB to the pylon on a QB keeper. Probably the last thing I would do is call a play up the middle into five 300-lb linemen with three 260-lb LBs right behind them.

Hindsight is 20/20. Of course if you run that play and don't make it you'll be crucified for trying to run a bootleg with Brees. You guys are insane.

Hindsight is 20/20. Of course if you run that play and don't make it you'll be crucified for trying to run a bootleg with Brees. You guys are insane.

For evaluating a playcall? Uh, that's a large part of the fun of sports: evaluating the calls that worked, and those that didn't. What, should we all have just said "Great game", have Big John lock the thread, and head up for some shuteye?

For evaluating a playcall? Uh, that's a large part of the fun of sports: evaluating the calls that worked, and those that didn't. What, should we all have just said "Great game", have Big John lock the thread, and head up for some shuteye?

You could do that on every single play. I'm not saying running it right up the middle is the best choice when the GB D line was winning in the trenches, but to say you would call a Drew Brees bootleg with him trying to put it in the endzone is insane.

Couldn't have asked for a much better game to start the season. It is easy to 2nd guess the play call at the end, because it didn't work. I personally, love the bootleg or roll out with run/pass option there, but, I'm not going to 2nd guess the decision to try to grind it in from the one.

Once again, great game by both teams, and I wouldn't be shocked at all to see that same match-up in the NFC Championship game. Great way to start the year. :tup::wacko:

You could do that on every single play. I'm not saying running it right up the middle is the best choice when the GB D line was winning in the trenches, but to say you would call a Drew Brees bootleg with him trying to put it in the endzone is insane.

Why is it insane ? I love the bootleg call there, though I'd prefer a roll-out with a run/pass option. I certainly don't think suggesting a bootleg is insane in that situation.

Well, for starters, not every single play had the same drama, so I doubt there is the same interest in evaluating a 2nd and 8 midway thru the 2nd quarter.

And I think the reason people are saying that a bootleg might have worked is that, from the overhead view, the containment CB was lined-up shoulder-to-shoulder with the OLB. A fake handoff drawing him even a step into the line of scrimmage would likely have created enough space for a bootleg to the pylon. And there are a bunch of other options (4 WR spread set with a QB draw, or a roll-out, or fake handoff then pass to a releasing TE) that might of worked, too.

All we know for sure is the unimaginative play they did indeed call was stuffed for no gain :wacko:

Just want to say, very good win by the Pack. It sucks. We had to play from behind from the start and that ended up being the deciding factor.. We couldn't stop you when it mattered and that's it. hope we see you guys again in the playoffs. I'd love to see Rodgers arrogance come back to bite him.

I'm sure he'll have his days; I can see the RB situation being like the WR situation - both will have big days, but you won't know when the hell they're coming.

+1

Starks looked like the better man tonight, but appeared to miss a few assignments. Broke lots of arm tackles. He was better than I expected.

Grant looked a little rusty to me on a couple plays, that screen pass where he didn't cut upfield soon enough. Seemed like he could have busted one open on that play.

I thought both guys ran pretty well overall and complement each other as runners. Fantasy wise?... agree with Chavez. Roll the dice on a weekly basis.

Why is it insane ? I love the bootleg call there, though I'd prefer a roll-out with a run/pass option. I certainly don't think suggesting a bootleg is insane in that situation.

Because if it doesn't work you look denser than the manager who called a suicide squeeze to win one game out of 162 instead of one out of 16? :wacko:

That being said, it was a let down as Id' rather see Brees use different options to get one yard instead of the untested one. But, the Saints needed a short yardage play to work twice to send into overtime and it failed the first time.

Edited by bushwacked

Starks looked like the better man tonight, but appeared to miss a few assignments. Broke lots of arm tackles. He was better than I expected.

Grant looked a little rusty to me on a couple plays, that screen pass where he didn't cut upfield soon enough. Seemed like he could have busted one open on that play.

I thought both guys ran pretty well overall and complement each other as runners. Fantasy wise?... agree with Chavez. Roll the dice on a weekly basis.

It seemed to me Grant was running tougher than he had in the past. I think the competition from Starks is probably good for him.

Just want to say, very good win by the Pack. It sucks. We had to play from behind from the start and that ended up being the deciding factor.. We couldn't stop you when it mattered and that's it. hope we see you guys again in the playoffs. I'd love to see Rodgers arrogance come back to bite him.

I was about to give you a hearty handshake and pat on the back... until I read the bitter tears about Rodgers arrogance? Is that how people view him now? I guess I've never seen him that way. Don't the great ones all have some of that? I was watching the satellite feed and he had a nice long "we're buddies" convo with Brees at the end.

Wait... were you...

:tup:

:wacko:

I think this game could have been a lot less interesting at the end if McCarthy wasn't such a sissy with his play calling at the end of games...he's like the most conservative HC I've ever seen. Every game when they're ahead by a td or so in the 4th quarter he just runs it 3 times and kicks it back, then lets his defense hang back to stop the big play and let them drive down the field...somehow they manage to pull it out but it scares the hell out of me as a semi-packers fan...I wish he'd actually work a bit to get a first down or two to close out the game. Really don't agree with how conservative he gets.

And Rodgers is overly arrogant in what way? :wacko:

I think you are issued an arrogance license after you win the superbowl.

If you QB the Steaers to a championship you get a rape women for fun card and don't go to jail license after you win the superbowl.

Are you ever going to let it go? Geez man, move on! I'm not a steelers fan, but I respect them and this is getting old.

Are you ever going to let it go? Geez man, move on! I'm not a steelers fan, but I respect them and this is getting old.

:wacko:

Antagonizing the namesake of Big Ben for getting disciplined by"allegedly" taking a girl into the bathroom and raping her with bodyguards outside is not only something we should all let go after 2 years....but we should just respect the organization for having him as a winner?

Seriously?

Edited by bushwacked