[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

R.E.M.

SEC=UGA

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the very first time I listened to Wolves, Lower and Gardening at Night, I was hooked. This was many years ago, and the harmonies between Stipe, Mills, and Berry were amazing. Peter Buck basically was a hack and learned on the fly...and he got pretty good.

The moment Bill Berry had his brain aneurism and left the band, they were never really the same for me.

For anyone that's not a fan, please spend some time and listen to Murmur, Reckoning, and Fables of the Reconstruction. Give those a listen and you'll know where Az is coming from. If you haven't listened to them, you should. Give those a try, and then move on to appreciate the rest.

Personally, my favorites songs by them are Camera, Wendell Gee, World Leader Pretend, Flowers of Guatemala, and Find The River.

You dig deeper and can really appreciate songs like Auctioneer, Lighting Hopkins.....the list for me goes on and on and I'll never tire of those songs.

murmur

reckoning

fables

life's rich pageant

document

that is a five album run non pareil, right out of the gates. each one of them is absolutely a 5-star gem. then green was not quite as good but still excellent, out of time was excrement, then arguably their best album, automatic for the people. monster and new adventires in hi fi were much better than some people gave them credit for, and after that I lost interest. their live bootleg corpus from the 80s is out of this world.

now, what I love about them...I can't think of another band that essentially came out of nowhere with SUCH a unique, mature sound. instantly identifiable from day one. the main influence you hear is the velvet underground, and yet REM's sound is so firmly rooted in the american south. you also really hear the byrds' more country albums, and stuff like roky erikson. but all brought together in such a timely and unexpected way in the early 80s that it changed american music dramatically. it brought post-punk "alternative"/college radio music a sincerity, an authenticity and a flavor of americana that it previously lacked, and the music world is much better off for it. their rise to prominence gave a shot in the arm to american music, paving the way for "alternative" bands like the replacements, husker du, etc. getting a wider audience. before that, I think underground music was more of either a new york city or an international thing. REM made it an american thing. I don't see the whole "grunge" phenomenon depending on REM much (though others do), but there is so much music that depends on them...go ahead and try and imagine bands like wilco, cracker and guided by voices (to name just a few very different groups I personally hold in high regard) without REM.

Pointless to try to define the "best" band, it's all personal taste. One certain band, when I go see them, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, I involuntarily jump around and shout all the lyrics, and sometimes I'm moved to tears. For the following week I'm hoarse and the show is all I can think about. If you have a band like that, it's the best band in the world.