[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Al Davis Dead

Trots

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said. Davis' contributions to the NFL far outweigh the loss of sesnsibilities in managing the Raiders over the last 5 yeaars or so.

RIP.

I'd say he's been mismanaging the Raiders for close to 20 yrs (Gruden hire excepted), but from about 1960-1991, yeah, truly a brilliant and unconventional football mind.

He leaves an impressive legacy.

Agreed and props to all, I admit I half expected at least 1 or 2 "good riddance" type comments. "Iconic" is probably overused but applies here. I grew up very much anti-Raiders and anti-Cowboys but respected how much guys like him, Tom Landry, etc contributed to the game.

Agreed and props to all, I admit I half expected at least 1 or 2 "good riddance" type comments. "Iconic" is probably overused but applies here. I grew up very much anti-Raiders and anti-Cowboys but respected how much guys like him, Tom Landry, etc contributed to the game.

It's funny, living in Northern California I've heard the "the Raiders won't get better until Al is dead" comments ad nauseum. And quite often from Raiders fans. Regardless, you have to respect what the guy did for the NFL. He was one of the driving forces that gave us the game we love so much today.

Many people including myself, thought that the Raiders would not be able to advance in today's league under his leadership (that's not to say that anyone wished him ill, or wanted him dead)... but now we'll truly see how the franchise does under someone else.

I wish the best for his family and all who are grieving him.

:wacko: RIP Big AL

As a Broncos fan, I always loved to hate you and your team----but it was always with respect.

That's about the biggest compliment a fan can give a rival team's executive, isn't it? "The reason I loved hating your team is because I respect the organization." I think the world is a more interesting place because of eccentric people. The world is less colorful today, that's for sure.

About three weeks ago, I had this dream. I was standing in a small football stadium...very small. In my mind, I knew it was the Raiders home stadium. It looked nothing like the Coliseum, however. The stands were mostly empty and beige, At my right was a very small owner's box, similar to the balcony of a small stucco apartment--but without the railing. There was a very large, empty, chair there--not quite a throne, but not plain either. I thought: "That's where Al Davis sits".

The game was about to start, and Al Davis entered on a wheelchair. He was covered from head to toe in loose, clear plastic. He was looking straight ahead. Rather than being taken to his seat in the owner's box, he went behind the bleachers, and was pushed up to a long banquet table. I recall seeing wine glasses and candles on the table. As Al sat there, the game started, and he appeared completely disinterested. He may or may not have begun to eat--but he remained shrouded in plastic. That, I remember.

I woke up, and thought "Wow--what a goofy dream". I never gave it a second thought until I heard the news on the radio today. I wouldn't consider it a premonition, but it was a very strange coincidence.

Edited by CowboysDiehard

About three weeks ago, I had this dream. I was standing in a small football stadium...very small. In my mind, I knew it was the Raiders home stadium. It looked nothing like the Coliseum, however. The stands were mostly empty and beige, At my right was a very small owner's box, similar to the balcony of a small stucco apartment--but without the railing. There was a very large, empty, chair there--not quite a throne, but not plain either. I thought: "That's where Al Davis sits".

The game was about to start, and Al Davis entered on a wheelchair. He was covered from head to toe in loose, clear plastic. He was looking straight ahead. Rather than being taken to his seat in the owner's box, he went behind the bleachers, and was pushed up to a long banquet table. I recall seeing wine glasses and candles on the table. As Al sat there, the game started, and he appeared completely disinterested. He may or may not have begun to eat--but he remained shrouded in plastic. That, I remember.

I woke up, and thought "Wow--what a goofy dream". I never gave it a second thought until I heard the news on the radio today. I wouldn't consider it a premonition, but it was a very strange coincidence.

You sir have some weird ass dreams.

This is Al Davis...

And now, the end is near,

And so I face the final curtain.

My friends, I'll say it clear;

I'll state my case of which I'm certain.

I've lived a life that's full -

I've travelled each and every highway.

And more, much more than this,

I did it my way.

Regrets? I've had a few,

But then again, too few to mention.

I did what I had to do

And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course -

Each careful step along the byway,

And more, much more than this,

I did it my way.