[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Video games

BeeR

41 members have voted

1. 1. How much before vs now?

• Little interest before and significantly more now
    • Little interest before and stayed same
    • Much interest before and still do
    • Much interest before and significantly less now
    • Other (desc)

Might be a dumb question here but wondering how many have tapered off or stopped entirely. Like most things, when these were newer and more of a novelty and in their "golden age" (mostly mid-80s through early 00s), I think it was like kids with a new toy and wildly popular. Now that these things have been around a long time and the jumps in both technology and how much better/newer/different they are has tapered off, for some "the thrill is gone" and we play much less. Some of you I know continue to love the stuff. Take into account "all things being equal" ie if you got married or had kids etc likely you play less (at least I would hope so). More thinking how much has the interest level changed just due to the idea of video games itself. So just wondering.

Interest peaked in my early teens with the Mario games, Zelda, Metroid and Bases Loaded for the Super NES. Pretty soon though, all my money went toward Josh Gordon and poon-related expenses (clothes, gas/car insurance, beer, rubbers/abortions, etc.). I rarely played in my 20s and 30s and didn't even own any type of game system. Now I've got a PS3 and enjoy playing very occasionally. Usually around this time of year when I can't do much outside. But I don't pay for the latest releases, I like to search Ebay and Gamestop for older games. I think I paid $20 for GTA4 last year and was completely hooked throughout the winter. My other favorite is Need for Speed Hot Pursuit. I want to try Red Dead Redemption next, and any other good car racing games that may have come out.

I used to love doing the arcade thing growing up. During my military career and most of college (working full time with a full load), I didn't really play. After that though from around '99 on, I do like to play on the computer. Not as much as I used to with a kid and wife and all, but I manage to play several times a week. :wacko:

Mainly a PC gamer but I have an XBOX 360. Now, my daughter has discovered the fun of playing video games so we play Mortal Combat vs DC comics together (and she is getting really good at it) and Kung Fu Panda, sonic racing and other games like that. I mainly play world of warcraft but also play games on the XBOX.

Don't play nearly as much as I used to, but still play way too much. I'm actually more excited for what is going to come in about ten years in terms of VR sports gaming. I've basically only played sports games since age 12 or so (with the exception of a very brief WoW crack binge). I can't wait until we're playing 11 on 11 VR football or until golf simulators continue to evolve.

There was no "little interest before and even less now" option.

When I was in my late 20s, my roommates and I found a Sega 16 (64?) along with a few cartridges at a garage sale. We used to get stoned and play NHL 95 a bunch. That lasted about 6 months.

Besides arcade games as a teenager, that was pretty much it for me.

One of my bartenders brought his Wii to the company Xmas party a few years back and we plugged it into the big screen in the private room and played Mario Cart. So there's that as well.

I figure if you had little, it's hard to have much less. Nit picky bastage.

:wacko:

A friend and I did the arcade thing off and on as teens but not hard core. I tended to go in "waves" with PC games. Wouldn't do much but if I found something I liked play the hell out of it for awhile, then either "finish" it or just get tired and stop entirely. Never got into the game box thing.

Started with Pong. Had the two little forks you screwed onto the TV. Then it was pinball. Then I got an Odyssey and an Atari(friend had intellivision). Always loved arcades - Pinball & Galaga my fav., although later on I like RBI baseball and track and field and the fusball like hockey game. I remember playing the big football game the was only x's and o's on the screen and you used a roller ball, pinched me everytime. Then came nintendo. We all know how the rest goes. I have played everything, my friends.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby