[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do you burn?

rajncajn

It seems like every time the weather turns nice around here someone in the neighborhood decides that it's a good day to burn leaves. This entire past weekend our neighborhood was covered in a thick cloud of smoke. It was so bad that Saturday morning the wife & kids had to hold their breath and run to the car to keep from choking. What makes it worse is with no wind & the humidity here, the smoke just hangs in the air for days. I walked into my garage this morning & I could still smell the smoke. I have burned leaves before, but not at my current house. When I did burn though I always did it in a barrel and kept a good flame going so that it would not generate a lot of smoke. I would also do it during the week so that it wouldn't affect any neighborhood outdoor activities. I certainly would never do it on a day that I thought people would be trying to enjoy the weather.

I usually don't burn leaves.

I have a brush/tree/tree limb pile in the back that is currently about 12 to 15 feet around and about 6 feet high that is gonna get set ablaze in early spring. For this event I am going to invite some friends over and have mucho beer. It should go on into the late night. My neighbors can suck my butt if they don't like it.

It seems like every time the weather turns nice around here someone in the neighborhood decides that it's a good day to burn leaves. This entire past weekend our neighborhood was covered in a thick cloud of smoke. It was so bad that Saturday morning the wife & kids had to hold their breath and run to the car to keep from choking. What makes it worse is with no wind & the humidity here, the smoke just hangs in the air for days. I walked into my garage this morning & I could still smell the smoke. I have burned leaves before, but not at my current house. When I did burn though I always did it in a barrel and kept a good flame going so that it would not generate a lot of smoke. I would also do it during the week so that it wouldn't affect any neighborhood outdoor activities. I certainly would never do it on a day that I thought people would be trying to enjoy the weather.

Where do you live that they allow burning of leaves? I have never lived anywhere that allowed that.

I usually don't burn leaves.

I have a brush/tree/tree limb pile in the back that is currently about 12 to 15 feet around and about 6 feet high that is gonna get set ablaze in early spring. For this event I am going to invite some friends over and have mucho beer. It should go on into the late night. My neighbors can suck my butt if they don't like it.

I'm sure they'll like it fine when, between the beer and the "y'all watch this" moments, your house burns to ashes and they can rid the neighborhood of you... :wacko:

It must be a Southern thang! It happens every fall and spring down south. Not everyone does it, but as the original post suggests, anytime there is good weather, you're bound to get someone within a few miles radius burning yard waste.

But it truly does suck when they smoke out the whole neighborhood.

SEC, hit me up when your ready to burn, sounds like some fun to be had.

When I was a boy in Wisconsin you could burn leaves and we did. Part of my strong memories of childhood in the fall includes the smell of burning leaves, drying corn, and rotting deadfall apples on autumn afternoons. We would have a sheen of sweat from playing ball in the sun after doing our chores, including raking and burning the leaves. Tthe sun would start to set and the damp would come in with a chill that would sting the sweat on our skin. The scents all mixed together in the air promised Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas were coming. It meant deer season was on the horizon and the geese were congrating by the millions in Horicon Marsh. It meant the Packers were in pursuit of a title and that the voice of Ray Scott could be heard from neighbor's radios.

Now of course it is illegal.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

+4

Our County banned leaf burning over 20 years ago.

It should be banned in ours as well with as many pine forests & fires we have around here, but unfortunately it's not. If it's windy and dry then the forestry commission will issue temporary burn bans.