[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My latest hillbilly stunt

polksalet

I'm about 90% sure we are going to move from our brick house in a subdivision into a single wide mobile home onto our property and live in it for a few years. This serves several purposes. Most importantly it allows me to get Jr. out of this quasi town living and into the woods. With all that we've been through I've felt good about my chances of surviving all of this economically. I'm comforted that I can kill 10+ (5 for me, five for jr) deer every year. I can also raise a small herd of goats and a large chicken pen out there. There are also many great spots for gardening as well. Anyhow I would like to teach him these skills in case he ever has to go native in order to provide for his family. Another important factor is that between rent over the amount of the payment I can put the combined payments I was making on the house and the land all onto the house. This would allow me to pay the house off in about 2.5 years. Its no palace but it'll prob be worth around 100k by then. Its also just cool to live out in the country.

So tell me how to buy a trailer house without getting ripped off? What do I need to know?

Make sure it has a toilet. Indoors.

Make sure it has wheels so it can get from where it is to where you are.

Maybe you can buy it "as installed", that way the seller is liable for any issues that arise in transportation and set up?

Why not buy a structure for your land which you will need out there and will keep, and which will enhance the value out there, instead of getting a mobile home. There are lots f useful buildings that could also temporarily serve the duel use of a home. Look into Morton Buildings. They may just have one in a garage, barn, stable, or warehouse that you would want long term but which could serve short gterm as a home (presuming you are beyond code inspectors out in the country.

I'm comforted that I can kill 10+ (5 for me, five for jr) deer every year. I can also raise a small herd of goats and a large chicken pen out there. There are also many great spots for gardening as well. Anyhow I would like to teach him these skills in case he ever has to go native in order to provide for his family.

You're a crazy mofo. :wacko:

Why not buy a structure for your land which you will need out there and will keep, and which will enhance the value out there, instead of getting a mobile home. There are lots f useful buildings that could also temporarily serve the duel use of a home. Look into Morton Buildings. They may just have one in a garage, barn, stable, or warehouse that you would want long term but which could serve short gterm as a home (presuming you are beyond code inspectors out in the country.

Good idea. I have a couple of friends here in the KC area that do this. They live out in the country and put in a Morton building on a slab. Converted about half into living space for now with the rest being a shop.

These guys put radiant heat in the floors and then cooled with straight AC.

Good idea. I have a couple of friends here in the KC area that do this. They live out in the country and put in a Morton building on a slab. Converted about half into living space for now with the rest being a shop.

These guys put radiant heat in the floors and then cooled with straight AC.

+1

Be sure to have a under ground storage area for food!

be sure to have a sand well( hand pump)

Solar is getter cheaper all the time

Why not buy a structure for your land which you will need out there and will keep, and which will enhance the value out there, instead of getting a mobile home. There are lots f useful buildings that could also temporarily serve the duel use of a home. Look into Morton Buildings. They may just have one in a garage, barn, stable, or warehouse that you would want long term but which could serve short term as a home (presuming you are beyond code inspectors out in the country.

Sorry, forgot to add that another purpose of this and the goats is to clear the brush off of the place. While this land is rural it is located on some fairly valuable land. Be getting the brush off and some of the trees down I can increase the property value by about 25%. Any permanent structure I put out there will detract from the long term potential for a developer.

All I ask is that you bump this thread a few days before they feature you on American Preppers.

I joke around a lot but this is totally serious. When you are raised in southern Arkansas you are always prepping. We were so poor growing up that economic disaster was always around the corner. I learned all of this from my dad and grandpa. You never know when you'll lose your minimum wage job and be forced to provide food for the family. My father in law raised pigs behind the house and once killed 48 deer though he only average 15-20 per years and several hundred head of coon. Its a tough world, you gotta be ready.

Having just driven through part of Arkansas, may I suggest digging a cellar to sit in while your mobile home is taken away by the tornado? You could also use it to store food.

Having just driven through part of Arkansas, may I suggest digging a cellar to sit in while your mobile home is taken away by the tornado? You could also use it to store food.

I'll be putting in a storm shelter for sure.

How about a couple of large storage containers? Two of them side by side with a "door" between them should cost about $6000 delivered. Get some kind of backhoe and drop 'em in, then enter your house through the roof. They'll be mostly invisible and should be immune to tornados.

That'd be awesome when company comes over to pay a visit!

How about a couple of large storage containers? Two of them side by side with a "door" between them should cost about $6000 delivered. Get some kind of backhoe and drop 'em in, then enter your house through the roof. They'll be mostly invisible and should be immune to tornados.

we made a sauna out of one at deer camp.

You're a crazy mofo. :wacko:

welcome to Arkansas/East texas ...

I like the cut of your gib, Polk, you think ahead. I would gladly purchase some of your venison next winter. 3 years of this and you all of a sudden have some bank, time will fly. Country living is great for a child. Plenty of space and lots of activity outdoors. The sky is the limit. Now if you could just craft some goats milk cheese ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goat_milk_cheese

I like it. I'm just to lazy to do it. I want my kids all driving before I move out into the country. They are involved in way to many activities, and I don't want to be taxing them around from BFE. The day my youngest goes off to college we will put our house on the market, and find 100-200 acres to build our last home on.

How many acres do you have polk ?

31 scenic acres of prime Bowie County lol. A friend of mine owns a primitive weapons magazine and lives kind of like me. We were out there today looking around and he says "wow, this is rough but it has a lot of upside. You have to really look for the upside but its out here" lol.

31 scenic acres of prime Bowie County lol. A friend of mine owns a primitive weapons magazine and lives kind of like me. We were out there today looking around and he says "wow, this is rough but it has a lot of upside. You have to really look for the upside but its out here" lol.

Your buddy is the Mel Kiper of property assessment.

Sorry, forgot to add that another purpose of this and the goats is to clear the brush off of the place. While this land is rural it is located on some fairly valuable land. Be getting the brush off and some of the trees down I can increase the property value by about 25%. Any permanent structure I put out there will detract from the long term potential for a developer.

My bad. I assumed the land was your eventual destination rather than an investment.

I joke around a lot but this is totally serious. When you are raised in southern Arkansas you are always prepping. We were so poor growing up that economic disaster was always around the corner. I learned all of this from my dad and grandpa. You never know when you'll lose your minimum wage job and be forced to provide food for the family. My father in law raised pigs behind the house and once killed 48 deer though he only average 15-20 per years and several hundred head of coon. Its a tough world, you gotta be ready.

So no bag limits down there. No tags? For the deer I mean, most small game, coons, rabbits, squirrels don't have much in the way of limits where I have lived, though they do have seasons of course. Generous seasons, but seasons.