[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Robin's nest in playground

Swashbucklers

I have been battling with a pair of robins that are trying to build their nest in my kids' playground. I have been knocking it down and cleaning it up, but they cannot take a hint! I had one there last year and did not notice it until there were eggs so I let it go and my kids were unable to use the playground until the eggs hatched. I am wondering if there is any deterrent I could put up there that would keep them away. Any suggestions? TIA

This happens to us every year. We have hanging baskets out front and the robins try to nest in them. The only solution we have found is to out-persist the buggers and remove the makings. They build a nest amazingly fast, though, so you have to be alert.

Same thing happened to me - tried a few times but to no avail until......

Wait until nest is virtually complete - wait till dusk and make sure neighbors are not around (and your kids).

Climb ladder and dookie right in nest - Robins never came back.

Get wife to dispose of nest.

You are welcome.

Same thing happened to me - tried a few times but to no avail until......

Wait until nest is virtually complete - wait till dusk and make sure neighbors are not around (and your kids).

Climb ladder and dookie right in nest - Robins never came back.

Get wife to dispose of nest.

You are welcome.

:pc: You're not married

The birds are in the process of making the nest. There are no eggs in it yet! I guess I will just keep ripping the nest down two or three times a day. Maybe they will eventually get the hint. Thanks for all the ideas. If my kids never played in it I wouldn't care but I don't want them up there with the birds. There are some blue jays that are pestering them. Maybe if I slip the blue jays a little something extra they will make my problem disappear!

The birds are in the process of making the nest. There are no eggs in it yet! I guess I will just keep ripping the nest down two or three times a day. Maybe they will eventually get the hint. Thanks for all the ideas. If my kids never played in it I wouldn't care but I don't want them up there with the birds. There are some blue jays that are pestering them. Maybe if I slip the blue jays a little something extra they will make my problem disappear!

The blue jays will eat the baby robins. They will also probably terrorize your kids twice as bad. They will save you a couple of weeks if they are successful.

Robins are fascinating to watch and eat tons of grubs, especially when they are feeding their young. That's good for your lawn. I would think the whole nest-building process, followed by the rearing of the chicks would be a great learning experience for kids. Make it a project, buy a bird feeder and a book about all the varieties of birds in your area. Another way you could go, buy a BB gun and shoot every robin you see until the nest building stops.

• Like 1

First, robin's nests are Section 8 housing, so you will do no such thing in trying to remove their home. Where are your forms filed in triplicate to take any action? We'll get back to you on this within 2-18 weeks.

Second, you have infringed on the freedom of the robin to nest there, and now the EPA is on their way to your bird-hating house, as well as Greenpeace to picket your house and chain themselves to your swing set.

Finally... continued harassment of said robin's nest will result in fines, imprisonment, and immediate deportation to Wisconsin.

Make it a project, buy a bird feeder and a book about all the varieties of birds in your area.

I like this idea.

Maybe you can buy a birdhouse and place it near the playground and the robins might prefer the birdhouse.

I know - I had to dispose of myself which is why I suggested he has wife do it!!! :)

[betterOffDead]"Now that's a damn shame when folks be throwin away a perfectly good white boy like that."[/betterOffDead] :)

Back on topic, each spring I continually have to battle the birds looking to build a nest under my deck. My lot backs up to a pond, so they keep going back and forth from there to the underside of the deck with mud, sticks, weeds, etc. As others have said, only thing you can do is keep knocking it down. If they manage to get one built before I can get rid of it, I will check to see if there are eggs before knocking it down. If there are eggs, I leave 'em alone til they are out of there. I wouldnt mind they are there but they leave a hugh mess on the patio below...

Was out doing yard work saturday and discovered a mallard hen has made a nest amongst the grasses we have planted on the side of the house. I have been avoiding walking near there since, but I can see her from the corner of my deck. It hailed here last night so hopefully the house shielded her a bit. She's got a pretty good spot there and should be pretty safe unless a fox comes around.

I like this idea.

Maybe you can buy a birdhouse and place it near the playground and the robins might prefer the birdhouse.

My grandparents had bird feeders everywhere and they would tell me about all the different kinds of birds when I was little. One of the first things I did when we moved here was to put up a feeder outside my office window. It is unbelievable how many different types of birds there are on any given day, and before a storm, it's like a plague of locusts out there, literally thousands of them, robins, doves, cardinals, bluebirds, woodpeckers, and many others I haven't identified. I don't know that I would have the same level of interest if it weren't for my grandparents being into it.

My grandparents had bird feeders everywhere and they would tell me about all the different kinds of birds when I was little. One of the first things I did when we moved here was to put up a feeder outside my office window. It is unbelievable how many different types of birds there are on any given day, and before a storm, it's like a plague of locusts out there, literally thousands of them, robins, doves, cardinals, bluebirds, woodpeckers, and many others I haven't identified. I don't know that I would have the same level of interest if it weren't for my grandparents being into it.

I have a bird feeder and bird bath in my front yard. Maybe because I live near White Rock Lake but even in Dallas, I get all of those birds too. Even caught one of them blackbirds with the red and yellow "shoulders" on the ground nibbling on $hit this weekend. Amazingly, it does not attract the grackles but it doesn't matter what kind of seed I put in there, the little finches always show up after I refill the the feeder.