[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Junior Seau Dead

KOKIDKOKID

I have been so sad and barely functional since I heard the news. It has been years since I spoke with Junior, but my friends in SD had no idea this was coming. One of my best days surfing was longboarding with him and a bunch of guys off Oceanside. Real people. He will be greatly missed.

I hope they figure out "why". I, and so many others need to know.

Shaka my brother. :headbang::crybaby:

I was shocked to hear about this today. I just read on fb that while he was finishing his career with the Patriots, he rarely called his teammates by their names as he had memory issues and couldn't remember their names.

Brent Boyd played for the Vikes and is now associated with dignity after football. He obviously took this news hard.

Edited by MikesVikes

Seau is the 8th member of the 1994 SB team to die before the age of 45

The fact that 8 of the 53 team members have died within the past 18 years is unbelievable. Not to be morbid, but I saw the list of players on CNN and couldn't believe some of the circumstances surrounding their deaths.

• 1995 - LB David Griggs died in a car crash (28)

• 1996 - RB Rodney Culver died in a plane crash (26)

• 1998 - LB Doug Miller struck by lightning while camping (28)

• 2008 - OL Curtin Whitley died of an overdose (39)

• 2008 - DE Chris Mims died from complications of an enlarged heart (38

• 2011 - DL Shawn Lee died from a heart attack (44)

• 2011 - LB Lew Bush died from a heart attack (42)

Bengals guard Jacob Bell has decided to retire at age 31. Bell cited concerns about head trauma as his reason for retiring at age 31.

From the actual St. Louis Post-Dispatch article:

If it were earlier in his career, or back when he was making $6 million a year for the Rams, Bell concedes it might be worth the risk. But at the veterans' minimum ($825,000) with the Bengals, where he may have been a backup and may have been asked to switch positions?

Bell decided it was time to move on.

Just an FYI:

The Chargers are hosting a memorial for Seau this Friday night at Qualcomm Stadium. They expect anywhere from 30,000 to 60,000 in attendance. The whole city is still in shock over his death.

Anybody hear about this OSU player with concussion players who decided to pass on a tryout with the Browns

http://news.blogs.cn...ions/?hpt=hp_c3

From the article:

As he prepared to head to the team's camp last week, he slipped and fell in the shower, causing the concussion symptoms to return.

Sweat said that Seau's death and all of the controversy swirling around the NFL right now didn't play a huge part in his decision.

From the article:

As he prepared to head to the team's camp last week, he slipped and fell in the shower, causing the concussion symptoms to return.

Sweat said that Seau's death and all of the controversy swirling around the NFL right now didn't play a huge part in his decision.

I didn't mean to imply that this story was really related to Seau's death, but the mention of it in the article made me think this was a good place to post it. The point being that the whole concussion issue thing is pretty big if it will cause some to forego the chance at an NFL career to avoid any more potential for brain damage.

I also caught a couple minutes of an NBC News program (Rock Center or whatever that one is) that was about the concussion "epidemic" in soccer, particularly for girls. It was part of something I recorded so I only saw the first few minutes, makes you wonder if over time as we learn more that many sports are dangerous and involvement by children and parents will drop dramatically.

I didn't mean to imply that this story was really related to Seau's death, but the mention of it in the article made me think this was a good place to post it. The point being that the whole concussion issue thing is pretty big if it will cause some to forego the chance at an NFL career to avoid any more potential for brain damage.

I also caught a couple minutes of an NBC News program (Rock Center or whatever that one is) that was about the concussion "epidemic" in soccer, particularly for girls. It was part of something I recorded so I only saw the first few minutes, makes you wonder if over time as we learn more that many sports are dangerous and involvement by children and parents will drop dramatically.

While I don't discount the need to put these things in the forefront of discussion and address this stuff to make sure athletes are safe, the media can be really lazy sometimes, and that was a clear example of tying something topical into something that wasn't really about what they tried to make it about.

I thought this was an interesting article:

Soldiers' brain damage similar to football players', study of chronic traumatic encephalopathy shows

What makes you wonder based on that article is that maybe it doesn't take many concussions to get CTE, or maybe some are more predisposed to it or maybe it is just having one really major concussion. No way a soldier goes through the same sort of head battering that I can think of. Roadside bombs and such no doubt can really concuss, but do people go through more than one of those? CTE is really scary if it can result from just one really major concussion and that is more than about football then.

It will be interesting to actually see how this plays out. The media will trumpet a growing number of concussions for soccer, but there are way more kids participating today than there were 25 years ago. I played my whole life, as did many of my friends, and I cannot recall one concussion resulting from soccer.

I think right now the media is latching onto this thing without really analyzing the whole picture. Shocking, I know....

I also recently heard something about testing prospective football players in their teens for a gene that is recognized for increased risk of Alzheimers. The belief being that these people are more likely to have long term brain trouble (Alz. or dementia) even with very limited head injuries. That may mean they are more likely to suffer from CTE.

CD, No way, you saying the media won't be totally responsible, nonsense ;)

This is a topic that I have started to watch closer with all the new studies. I know for fact I have had 6 concussions throughout the years starting when I was 9. I also suffer from depression which for the time being seems to be completely under control.

The more of these studies that come out the more concerned I get for what my later years have in store for me. Major difference for me is I didn't get millions of dollars for any of these concussions. I don't know, the whole topic is just a bit disconcerting.

I may have an unpopular position on concussions and injuries in general. I believe these players have and had a choice. They chose to play and get paid very well to do so. The injuries, including concussions, are all part of the choice.

You don't want to get them, don't play. But don't come back after the fact and scream bloody murder and try to blame everyone else because you made a career choice where injuries/concussions are prevalent. The players wanted the fame and fortune. Now they have to deal with the consequences.

I have no sympathy. I really don't. That said, if the players want to have a fund to help those down the road who experience issues, I think that's great. But lawsuits? That's bullsh-t.