[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jamaal Charles carted from field

DMD

I'm not saying anything of the sort. I'm contradicting the claim that Lisfranc injuries do not show up on x-rays with documentation that they do show up on x-rays 85% of the time.

Axually, most football Lisfranc injuries are sprains, not fractures or dislocations. I think we're talking about football here?

1st and 2nd degree sprains do not show up in standard X-Rays. Ever. So...in football, an X-Ray means very little when it comes to diagnosing a Lisfranc injury or its severity.

While 85% of all Lisfranc injuries, including fractures and dislocations, might show up on X-Rays, in the NFL it's fair to say that most Lisfranc injuries do NOT show up on X-Ray. I'm sure that's what you meant. Yup, right as always:

http://www.footballphds.com/2011/11/16/what-is-wrong-with-matt-schaubs-foot-lisfranc-injuries-explained/ -- "First- and second-degree sprains are classified as partial ligament tears with no instability on examination and normal x-rays... Athletes cannot return to play for the remainder of the season. The foot and lower leg is casted for 6 to 12 weeks."

http://www.footballrescue.com/lisfranc.htm -- "Even X-rays present vague results. This is the reason why most of Lisfranc Joint injury diagnoses are not picked up on X-rays."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/running-doc-santonio-holmes-foot-injury-article-1.1173831 -- "The Lisfranc injury affects ligaments in the midfoot and may or may not include a fracture of some midfoot bones. Lucky for Mr. Holmes, the reports are that the X-rays were negative for fracture."

• Like 2

The comments in this thread are the main reason I hardly post here anymore. Not that anybody misses my drunken rants but it's gotten to the point I don't even want to read a thread anymore.

Edited by tazinib1
  • Like 3

The comments in this thread are the main reason I hardly post here anymore. Not that anybody misses my drunken rants but it's gotten to the point I don't even want to read a thread anymore.

Ditto.

if we aren't part of the solution, then we are part of the problem. What I mean, is if we all post more and have good football conversations then we can make the unpalatable stuff more like white noise than anything else.
  • Like 3

Is this injury that serious? All I see is that he may miss the 2nd pre-season game (insert Iverson practice rant).

Based on what the team is saying - it's easy to view the reactions from the fantasy world as overreactions - but that ignores how teams tend to downplay injuries.

But based on how teams usually talk about injuries -- think MJD and DMC in recent time -- they always seem to downplay or lie about the severity of an injury.

So, this could really be just a mild injury, but until he's back on the practice field I understand the skepticism. Also, when it comes to a RB and his foot, people might really worry that it's an injury that will linger.

Redskins rookie safety, Phillip Thomas suffered a Lisfranc injury. He's going to have surgery and is expected to be out 4-5 months and he'll be put on season-ending injured reserve.

Here is what Shanahan specifically said in his update, “We got some tough news. Phillip Thomas has a left foot Lisfranc ligament tear and it’ll be four or five months recovery. The X-rays first were negative. They took an MRI, saw a little light spot on the MRI. Dr. [Robert] Anderson wanted to take a look at it. When the swelling went down, they took another X-ray and they found that Lisfranc ligament needed an operation, so that’s what we’re going to have and it’ll be about four- or five-month recovery time.”

I know this is a thread about Charles but considering that there is some back and forth about a Lisfranc injury I thought there was some value in posting the above information.

• Like 1

Lisfranc injuries have various grades and types. They could be medial, lateral, partial, complete, subtle or severe. Some more serious than others. A mild grade 1 could be easily missed. It would be important to know the history of how the injury occurred. Physical exam , radiographs and MRI would all be used for an accurate diagnosis. Some will NOT show on radiographs and some may require a weight bearing radiographs to be identified. But most are obvious on radiographs. The injury is often misdiagnosed. It may require a week to 10 days to properly evaluate and diagnose. These injuries have been on the NFL radar lately due to players like MJD but they tend to be rare. It's not likely he has a Lisfranc probably a just a strain. Don't panic if you have him. I'm not worried and I have him in the Huddle Ladder.