[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Freeman signs with Vikings

Shorttynaz

Cassel will continue to start as long as he is playing well...

I saw they said that Cassel is getting paid to play and not sit....but then again I would find it hard to imagine Freeman coming right in and starting...but it almost seems like they did not want Cassel to start by even saying Ponder is the QB still...

I kinda hoped Cassel would be the starter....he looked good a few weeks back...

That was just last week against a piss-poor Steeler squad (hmm, where is Menudo, anyways?).

Cassel may start next week, but wouldn't be shocked if they started Freeman. He's a decent blend of Ponder (mobility/youth) and Cassel (arm).

Local media is split in terms of him starting next week.

I'd be surprised if he starts this week, but this is the Vikes we're talking about, so nothing is a shock. The move is somewhat of a head-scratcher to me. If the idea is that it's a low-risk, high-reward move for the long-term, I suppose I get that. But, anybody who thinks that this team is a QB away from salvaging this season is delusional, I'm afraid. Number one, they have a number of issues/holes that go far beyond the QB position. The secondary has been bad, LB's are below average, and the D-Line has been underwhelming at best. Not to mention, the offensive line has been terrible, for the most part.

Secondly, even if the Vikings didn't have those issues, does anybody actually think that Freeman is going to suddenly get his head straight and save their season? I mean, I could understand making a move for a QB to save the season IF all of the other pieces were in place, and the QB in question showed any sort of sign that he was the immediate answer. But, I don't think either of those things are anywhere close to being the case. I'm not convinced Freeman can do any better than Cassel can (this year), to be honest. If the Vikings wanted to save this season by addressing their lack of a legitimate QB, they should have done so before the season, not at the point where they are 1-4.

The only part that makes me even the slightest bit happy with this move is that it acknowledges (at least I think) that the front office understands that Peterson's window is closing, and they can't really afford to scrap too many more seasons (in hopes of fixing an issue with a high draft pick) before it's too late. But, this move by itself does nothing but ensure that MIN gets a lower draft pick next year. If they can get some help in the secondary (whether it be via trade or re-signing somebody like Winfield), it would make more sense to me.

So now with this trade I sit with

Matt Cassel

Josh Freeman

Mike Glennon

all this to have a starting QB week 9 when Peyton is on a bye

dang Im tying up a bunch of roster spots , I sure hope something clears up so I can drop at least one of these QB's if not two of them. There is no other starting QB on our waivers , none zero

So now with this trade I sit with

Matt Cassel

Josh Freeman

Mike Glennon

all this to have a starting QB week 9 when Peyton is on a bye

dang Im tying up a bunch of roster spots , I sure hope something clears up so I can drop at least one of these QB's if not two of them. There is no other starting QB on our waivers , none zero

TB plays at SEA week 9. With those other 2 rostered, why in the Seven Hells are you wasting a spot on Glennon?

TB plays at SEA week 9. With those other 2 rostered, why in the Seven Hells are you wasting a spot on Glennon?

its the way it played out ,, I had Freeman from last year trade , knew he would be cut or dropped so I grabbed Glennon off the waivers and on a hunch grabbed Cassel 3 weeks back

^ Good post, Gopher. I agree...

Think you could come to The Cities some Sunday? Hmm, maybe I'll take the liberty of starting a thread to get this goin'. :brew:

Where do you live again (what part)? I'm about 100 miles west of Mpls proper... can get to the NW side of the TC in 1:45 or so (would be nice if there was a freeway/interstate hwy between here and there, but there really isn't an easy/quick way to get there, unfortunately). But, if we can establish a date a few weeks in advance, and I don't have any specific conflicts on the date in question (which I typically don't on Sundays), I could probably make that work. Late October/November work better than after Thanksgiving (when work gets crazy for me). The other option would be to pick a Saturday in January, and get together to watch the playoffs (that might actually work better).

Either way, keep me posted if you decide to try to arrange something. :)

Where do you live again (what part)? I'm about 100 miles west of Mpls proper... can get to the NW side of the TC in 1:45 or so (would be nice if there was a freeway/interstate hwy between here and there, but there really isn't an easy/quick way to get there, unfortunately). But, if we can establish a date a few weeks in advance, and I don't have any specific conflicts on the date in question (which I typically don't on Sundays), I could probably make that work. Late October/November work better than after Thanksgiving (when work gets crazy for me). The other option would be to pick a Saturday in January, and get together to watch the playoffs (that might actually work better).

Either way, keep me posted if you decide to try to arrange something. :)

I'm in St. Paul now, and it sounds like a lot of the "usual suspects" for the Twin Cities Huddle-up live south and/or east. alexgaddis is up in the NW side, maybe you can pick him up on your way :woot:

There's a thread up... take a peek.

Saturday in January could work. Unfortunately, though, the Vikings will probably not be participating. :unsure:

NO OTHER QB's ( starting QB's ) on the waiver

Who the chives has Blaine Gabbert? Trade for him instead. He can't be benched just injured.

Edited by Papajohn