[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We are not watching football anymore

Cowboyz1

That would pretty much be the nail in footballs coffin if they started regularly suspending guys for these penalties, especially since many of these calls, like with selvie, are phantom calls. We all just have to get used to an incredibly watered down product. You never see kick offs anymore and in the rare case that you do there is a penalty 7 out of 10 times. You cant really hit anyone anymore. The NFL will always be profitable I suppose but it has become a very sad product. Enjoy more hits like the one Gronk got on Sunday Goodell. You asked for it

I didn't mean suspend for all penalties, just the ones that are truly violations. Tell the officials "don't err on the side of caution, call it if you see it, if you aren't sure don't call it". Selvie's flag never even gets thrown, let alone suspended. Then they can suspend the true violations later. No replay, no phanton calls, yet appropriate penalties for those that are flagrant or repeat violation.

The NFL will always be profitable I suppose but it has become a very sad product.

Finally people are coming around :tup: I'm ready for the NFL to go away and just watch college ball. Unfortunately, as long as there are people willing to pay for the tickets or TV packages, merchandise, etc, it aint going nowhere.

PS the problem with making PI 15 yds no matter what is that every time a WR gets further than that down the field and the defender knows he's getting away, he'll just maul the guy. Better to take 15 yds than lots more, and/or a TD. I think that's why they changed it in the first place.

It all sucks, sucks,sucks......Wide receivers used to know that going over the middle had consequences and that is what they signed up for and got paid the big $ for. And that was a part of the game that was great, to see a linebacker be able to own and defend the middle that he takes ownership in. Now you have to aim at the receivers knees to avoid any remote chance of contacting a helmet protected head....Before some of you get your panties in a wad, I know that concussions are bad, but it is a part of the game they sign up for and the new rules have turned this game into a joke where any pansy azzed wide out can now go over the middle and at worse get a 15 yard penalty because nobody can lay a decent lick on him.....bs...bs...bs

Edited by dope man

Finally people are coming around :tup: I'm ready for the NFL to go away and just watch college ball. Unfortunately, as long as there are people willing to pay for the tickets or TV packages, merchandise, etc, it aint going nowhere.

PS the problem with making PI 15 yds no matter what is that every time a WR gets further than that down the field and the defender knows he's getting away, he'll just maul the guy. Better to take 15 yds than lots more, and/or a TD. I think that's why they changed it in the first place.

Hmm, if the NFL goes away like you want it to, where will you go to complain about stuff? :thinking:

Watching Heat at Pacers tonight . . . in the last two minutes, two clock stoppages for review. One to see who the ball went off of out of bounds, the second to check a goal tend. Both calls initially went in the Pacers favor. Both were overturned. I'm completely fine with that. We have the technology. Get the calls right. Even in the 22nd game of an 82 game season.

Edited by CaptainHook

It all sucks, sucks,sucks......Wide receivers used to know that going over the middle had consequences and that is what they signed up for and got paid the big $ for. And that was a part of the game that was great, to see a linebacker be able to own and defend the middle that he takes ownership in. Now you have to aim at the receivers knees to avoid any remote chance of contacting a helmet protected head....Before some of you get your panties in a wad, I know that concussions are bad, but it is a part of the game they sign up for and the new rules have turned this game into a joke where any pansy azzed wide out can now go over the middle and at worse get a 15 yard penalty because nobody can lay a decent lick on him.....bs...bs...bs

You're a moran if you think seeing Calvin Johnson splayed all over the 50 yard line is a good thing. You're a bigger moran if you think people will keep paying to watch Kris Durham replace him.

You're a moran if you think seeing Calvin Johnson splayed all over the 50 yard line is a good thing. You're a bigger moran if you think people will keep paying to watch Kris Durham replace him.

Like Gronk was layed out this week with a ACL and MCL??? Man, GUMMI BEAR!!! As many times as Michael Irvin went over the middle and countless more through the years......My opinion, But we are above name calling on here......smh.......And, the NFL will run into the problem of popularity if they keep the same course they are on by practically turning it into flag football, the defensive backs can't breath on the receivers anymore....so take that argument to someone else, I ain't buying it...sorry!

Edited by dope man

Call me names all you want. I'm fine with it. Yes I do like to see receivers show the toughness to go over the middle, take a good hit and hold on to the ball for his team, and first down...............Love it. I thought is was a good thing to have DBs that could own the middle of the field and force teams to play more cautious over the middle. QB's had to be accurate and throw low and away to protect their receivers. Took more skill to do that. No different than boxing, you can fight with your hands down if you want too but hey that's gonna cost you. Going across the middle knowing you would take some punishment was a right of passage for many up and comers. You shouldn't be able to just waltz across the middle with out some sort of fear of getting lit up. That's football my friend. I would much rather a guy hit me high then low, at least if he hits me high worse thing is I get the wind knocked out of me and in rare cases get my bell rung. However, you hit a guy low at speed and more then likely your season is over and perhaps your career. Like I said before, Gronks leg could have been far worse and maybe should have with the impact he took. I personally hate to see a guy get hit low. When I played you didn't want to go head to head because it hurt like hell and I was just a likely to be dizzy as a MFer as the other guy. So I would aim for his chest and try to light him up that way or plow throw his hips.

I can promise you now that DB's are going low, your going to see guys "splayed out" as you say but with gruesome knee and lower leg injuries. Remember Theisman, well get ready because that is what's coming. I suspect if that wasn't Gronk out there and it was a lesser sized WR, his leg would have been snapped in two in a really gruesome way. So call me a moron if you want to, but I would much rather see Calvin Johnson splayed over the middle with the wind knocked out of him, shake it off and go back out there rather than see his knee explode or his leg break in half because DB's are afraid to hit him in the torso.

Example: Calvin Johnson on a seam route down the middle is full speed head and eyes focused looking for the ball. Safety is coming in to close on him full speed.

Option 1. Imagine the safety without the rules of today. He pulls his arms in lowers his shoulder and tries to hit CJ in the chest and arms trying to jar the ball loose and make a good hit at the same time. CJ gets leveled, the fans go crazy with ooohhhhs, we jump up off the couch with our fist over our mouths saying Ohhhhh, while CJ most likely has the wind and the ball knocked away from him. Trainers come out check him over, take him to the bench, back in a few plays later.

Option 2. Safety is afraid of going high and aims for his knees. CJ is focused on the ball remember, doesn't see the DB going low and in full stride plants on his lead leg. DB comes in full speed and puts his entire body weight in the opposite direction into CJ's knees. Instead of CJ having his entire torso to absorb impact his lower leg and knees take the blow. Knee goes the opposite direction it is suppose to or the leg bone snaps in two because his foot has his entire body weight on it and doesn't separate from the turf fast enough. Trainers come out, as does the cart, as does the air cast. CJ is out for the season and may never play again.

Option 2 is coming and when it does, you may want to think twice about throwing the moron.

Oh and by the way, it's MORON. Not that I'm a great speller myself but if you going to name call you should probably at least spell the insult correctly especially when your intent is to call someone else a simpleton, dunce or imbecile. Makes you look Oxymoronish, and a really black pot...........Seriously, it's like Travis Henry calling Dennis Rodman or Marshall Faulk a "deadbeet" dad. :wink:

mo·ron

ˈmôrˌän/

noun

informal

Edited by Cowboyz1

Call me names all you want. I'm fine with it. Yes I do like to see receivers show the toughness to go over the middle, take a good hit and hold on to the ball for his team, and first down...............Love it. I thought is was a good thing to have DBs that could own the middle of the field and force teams to play more cautious over the middle. QB's had to be accurate and throw low and away to protect their receivers. Took more skill to do that. No different than boxing, you can fight with your hands down if you want too but hey that's gonna cost you. Going across the middle knowing you would take some punishment was a right of passage for many up and comers. You shouldn't be able to just waltz across the middle with out some sort of fear of getting lit up. That's football my friend. I would much rather a guy hit me high then low, at least if he hits me high worse thing is I get the wind knocked out of me and in rare cases get my bell rung. However, you hit a guy low at speed and more then likely your season is over and perhaps your career. Like I said before, Gronks leg could have been far worse and maybe should have with the impact he took. I personally hate to see a guy get hit low. When I played you didn't want to go head to head because it hurt like hell and I was just a likely to be dizzy as a MFer as the other guy. So I would aim for his chest and try to light him up that way or plow throw his hips.

I can promise you now that DB's are going low, your going to see guys "splayed out" as you say but with gruesome knee and lower leg injuries. Remember Theisman, well get ready because that is what's coming. I suspect if that wasn't Gronk out there and it was a lesser sized WR, his leg would have been snapped in two in a really gruesome way. So call me a moron if you want to, but I would much rather see Calvin Johnson splayed over the middle with the wind knocked out of him, shake it off and go back out there rather than see his knee explode or his leg break in half because DB's are afraid to hit him in the torso.

Example: Calvin Johnson on a seam route down the middle is full speed head and eyes focused looking for the ball. Safety is coming in to close on him full speed.

Option 1. Imagine the safety without the rules of today. He pulls his arms in lowers his shoulder and tries to hit CJ in the chest and arms trying to jar the ball loose and make a good hit at the same time. CJ gets leveled, the fans go crazy with ooohhhhs, we jump up off the couch with our fist over our mouths saying Ohhhhh, while CJ most likely has the wind and the ball knocked away from him. Trainers come out check him over, take him to the bench, back in a few plays later.

Option 2. Safety is afraid of going high and aims for his knees. CJ is focused on the ball remember, doesn't see the DB going low and in full stride plants on his lead leg. DB comes in full speed and puts his entire body weight in the opposite direction into CJ's knees. Instead of CJ having his entire torso to absorb impact his lower leg and knees take the blow. Knee goes the opposite direction it is suppose to or the leg bone snaps in two because his foot has his entire body weight on it and doesn't separate from the turf fast enough. Trainers come out, as does the cart, as does the air cast. CJ is out for the season and may never play again.

Option 2 is coming and when it does, you may want to think twice about throwing the moron.

Oh and by the way, it's MORON. Not that I'm a great speller myself but if you going to name call you should probably at least spell the insult correctly especially when your intent is to call someone else a simpleton, dunce or imbecile. Makes you look Oxymoronish, and a really black pot...........Seriously, it's like Travis Henry calling Dennis Rodman or Marshall Faulk a "deadbeet" dad. :wink:

mo·ron

ˈmôrˌän/

noun

informal

You've been here how long ? You don't know about moran ? :shades:

• Like 1

Call me names all you want. I'm fine with it. Yes I do like to see receivers show the toughness to go over the middle, take a good hit and hold on to the ball for his team, and first down...............Love it. I thought is was a good thing to have DBs that could own the middle of the field and force teams to play more cautious over the middle. QB's had to be accurate and throw low and away to protect their receivers. Took more skill to do that.

I do too. And they still can. That hasn't changed The only difference is that they can't hit them in the helmet. I've seen tons of big shots this year that were legal. Option 1 in your example happens all the time. It's legal, and a great play. Not sure what your point is. I haven't lost one ounce of enjoying watching football aside from the absolutely horrendous officiating and the people bitching incessantly about the rules.

Going at the knees is a copout. That's for cowards that are not skilled enough to play the game - always has been. Ward has been playing like this for years - shoot for the head, shoot for the knees. God forbid he get his arms around a guy and tackle them. He did that because he's a punk, not because he didn't have a choice. Gronkowski is 6'7", Ward had three steps to measure him up and make a hit or tackle, he went low and ducked his head at the end. No question what he was trying to do there.

Oh, and that rule change is coming too. They are already talking about it on ESPN.

I won't even bust on you about moran, but you, of all people, may not comment on the spelling, grammar, or punctuation of anyone ever in the history of the Internet.

Edited by flemingd
  • Like 2

I do too. And they still can. That hasn't changed The only difference is that they can't hit them in the helmet. I've seen tons of big shots this year that were legal. Option 1 in your example happens all the time. It's legal, and a great play. Not sure what your point is. I haven't lost one ounce of enjoying watching football aside from the absolutely horrendous officiating and the people bitching incessantly about the rules.

Going at the knees is a copout. That's for cowards that are not skilled enough to play the game - always has been. Ward has been playing like this for years - shoot for the head, shoot for the knees. God forbid he get his arms around a guy and tackle them. He did that because he's a punk, not because he didn't have a choice. Gronkowski is 6'7", Ward had three steps to measure him up and make a hit or tackle, he went low and ducked his head at the end. No question what he was trying to do there.

Oh, and that rule change is coming too. They are already talking about it on ESPN.

I won't even bust on you about moran, but you, of all people, may not comment on the spelling, grammar, or punctuation of anyone ever in the history of the Internet.

:rofl:

:innocent: , the history of the internet. Harsh :kicksrock:

And I wasn't busting on you I was actually busting on those who bust on me. By going overboard and even posting the dictionary explanation. I guess that backfired too.

Edited by Cowboyz1

Hmm, if the NFL goes away like you want it to, where will you go to complain about stuff? :thinking:

And what would happen to college footall if there was no NFL paying guys millions? My guess is that would be seriously impacted too. But then we may as well debate what happens if the sun doesn't come up tomorrow, because the NFL is not going anywhere (and most of the fans complaining about how horrible it is now will not stop watching).

Totally agree with the first paragraph, but disagree completely with your characterizaion of ward as a punk.

Even this Boston Herald writer says it was not a dirty hit.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/ron_borges/2013/12/ward_s_forced_hit_on_gronkowski_impacts_pats_future

You must have an axe to grind with Ward or the team or something. You seem to be awfully certain you know his intent.

Even this Boston Herald writer says it was not a dirty hit.

http://bostonherald....cts_pats_future

You must have an axe to grind with Ward or the team or something. You seem to be awfully certain you know his intent.

He didn't say it wasn't dirty, he said it wasn't illegal. Have a WR throw a cut block on Ward at that angle and ask him if it's dirty or not. You'll likely have to wait until after the fight is over though.

We are over protecting NFL players , they knew the job was dangerous but signed up anyway

Sherman is on key http://mmqb.si.com/2...ons-in-the-nfl/

That's all fine and dandy until the lawyers get involved. And when Sherman is eating his dinner through a straw, how quickly will he be calling his lawyer? How quickly will his wife? His kids? It doesn't matter what a 25 year old full of bravado and devoid of common sense or life experience says, it's about the long-term reality of living (and doing business as the NFL is) in the litigious society we now live in.

:innocent: , the history of the internet. Harsh :kicksrock:

Yeah, might have been a tad overboard, sorry, was just looking to bust balls a tad. It's not THAT harsh though ;)

And I wasn't busting on you I was actually busting on those who bust on me. By going overboard and even posting the dictionary explanation. I guess that backfired too.

wait, are you still not getting it?

morans

He didn't say it wasn't dirty, he said it wasn't illegal. Have a WR throw a cut block on Ward at that angle and ask him if it's dirty or not. You'll likely have to wait until after the fight is over though.

Could have sworn he said both, cannot not even see that he said it was not illegal.

Either way I think your characterizaion of Ward is wrong. I've never heard anybody talk about him being a dirty player, nor have I see evidence of that while watching him play. Yet you made him sound like Rodney Harrison or one of the other well known NFL punks.

Yeah, might have been a tad overboard, sorry, was just looking to bust balls a tad. It's not THAT harsh though ;)

wait, are you still not getting it?

morans

Yeah I know, I know. That is why I posted the dictionary version to make it even more overboard despite the moran part of it. Never-mind, it didn't go over like it did in my head. Especially with the Travis Henry line. The whole point was to be annoying with a word that looked to be spelled incorrectly even though it was intentional. Never mind.

That's all fine and dandy until the lawyers get involved. And when Sherman is eating his dinner through a straw, how quickly will he be calling his lawyer? How quickly will his wife? His kids? It doesn't matter what a 25 year old full of bravado and devoid of common sense or life experience says, it's about the long-term reality of living (and doing business as the NFL is) in the litigious society we now live in.

Bring on the lawyers , heck anyone can sue anyone for any reason ( that's a fact )

I could even Sue you for harassing me in this thread :shades:

But that doesn't mean I would win , on the contrary they would throw the case out ASAP for lack of grounds

Just like the NFL players wife or kid case once the NFL's lawyer showed up in court

And what would happen to college footall if there was no NFL paying guys millions? My guess is that would be seriously impacted too. But then we may as well debate what happens if the sun doesn't come up tomorrow, because the NFL is not going anywhere (and most of the fans complaining about how horrible it is now will not stop watching).

Oh no.....would we then be forced to play fantasy soccer??? Kill me now!!! :shocking: