[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We are not watching football anymore

Cowboyz1

Struck the QB in the helmet, just like the call on Akiem Hicks when he hit Wilson. Stupid penalty, but it is the rule. At least they're calling it the same on both sides.

Funny how some of you rush in here to cry when Brees gets the same call Wilson did just a few plays before.

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 1

I could give a rat's ass about either team. And I meant the Hicks hit. He didn't "strike him on the helmet" unless you mean in the general way of tackling the guy. God forbid someone should touch the beloved QB's helmet. It's not like he speared him or ripped his head off. He just knocked him down.

I could give a rat's ass about either team. And I meant the Hicks hit. He didn't "strike him on the helmet" unless you mean in the general way of tackling the guy. God forbid someone should touch the beloved QB's helmet. It's not like he speared him or ripped his head off. He just knocked him down.

My bad, I assumed you meant the call on Seattle because you said #99. Hicks is #76. Again, I think the rule is stupid, but he did hit the side of Wilson's helmet.

Absolutely, the guy gets put to sleep but holds on to the ball long enough for the score. That has to be rewarded with a Touchdown. As many times as I have seen a guy go limp and lose the ball at the point of contact, that was a mans play and to come away empty is a shame. May have taken years of the kids life to score yet sends the message to defenders to take the guys head off to kill the play. Nice NFL, sometimes you have to use your head like Bell did when making calls.

Ok, to play devils advocate then, if Bell fumbles before he lands it is a fumble.

As you said huge effort to hold onto the ball, I've seen plenty of guys get hit like that (not even lose their helmet) and fall limp immediately dropping the ball.

The rule is in place for a good reason, and allowing any continuation of the play after the helmet comes off the ball carrier is going to create additional problems.

• Like 1

My bad, I assumed you meant the call on Seattle because you said #99. Hicks is #76. Again, I think the rule is stupid, but he did hit the side of Wilson's helmet.

lol no worries. I just grabbed a # out of the hat to illustrate what I meant. :)

Refs strike again in the Det vs. Philly game today. The call on Fairley when he clearly made a textbook, head up, shoulder hit to the bulls-eye on Foles' chest, gets called for roughing. That call perhaps trumps the call that I started this thread about. I don't know if I have seen a more perfect hit on a QB get called for roughing. I don't know if you can hit the QB at all anymore, honestly.

If I were a defender, after that call, I would just throw my hands up and just kill every QB I hit, penalties be damned. It's what's going to happen. Defenders are just going to start punishing the QB because they just have no way of hitting him legally, so may as well try to take him out and get their penalty yards worth out of the hit. :shrug:

Don't know if the weather had anything to do with it but there were some really, really bad calls today.

Edited by Cowboyz1

The Lions were looking absolutely awful, so I'm not sure how game-altering that call was. Any discussion on that would be purely theoretical. I agree there WERE some very bad calls today, that PI against the browns being one of the worst.

On a side note, I think changing defensive PI to a 15 yard penalty like college would be a good idea. For such an inconsistent call, there are very detrimental repercussions when the ball is placed at the spot.

The call against Selvie was just unreal. Dallas was gonna get crushed anyway but you truly can just barely touch the qb these days.

That wasn't about the rule, that was about the view. I didn't see a good replay, so I am not even sure he made any contact. If so, it's a penalty, but it looked like he didn't. That's a fail by the ref to make a call on a foul he didn't actually see. He was behind the play so didn't have any depth perception to notice that there wasn't any actual contact.

This could be a big issue for the NFL. It's one thing to get all ticky-tacky with the rules for the name of safety, most will eventually buy into that, but it's a whole different beast to start missing these calls. That call on Decker was horrendous. The guy hit him in the armpit but because his head snapped back, it did look like he might have taken a shot to the head, and refs are told to err on the side of caution. It's getting called when it shouldn't be.

That wasn't about the rule, that was about the view. I didn't see a good replay, so I am not even sure he made any contact. If so, it's a penalty, but it looked like he didn't. That's a fail by the ref to make a call on a foul he didn't actually see. He was behind the play so didn't have any depth perception to notice that there wasn't any actual contact.

This could be a big issue for the NFL. It's one thing to get all ticky-tacky with the rules for the name of safety, most will eventually buy into that, but it's a whole different beast to start missing these calls. That call on Decker was horrendous. The guy hit him in the armpit but because his head snapped back, it did look like he might have taken a shot to the head, and refs are told to err on the side of caution. It's getting called when it shouldn't be.

Thats why, as painful as this remedy sounds, these should be reviewable. These 15 yard penalties are absolutly brutal and game changers. Like I said, Dallas was getting blown out whether they made this call or not but it did extend a drive that should have ended and they got 7 points from it

It's getting to the point now that it's just not fun watching anymore. Just makes me so angry to see such bad calls, I get to annoyed. Gronk is yet another victim of these rules. Most any other year the safety come in a blows him up in the chest. Now you can expect players to go low and take out knees. Truth is that play could have ended much much worse. We could have watched his leg snap in two at that speed. He's lucky he has any knee left at all as he was just had put all pressure on his right leg in mid stride. I almost expected his leg to just get ripped apart like a twig.

It's getting to the point now that it's just not fun watching anymore. Just makes me so angry to see such bad calls, I get to annoyed. Gronk is yet another victim of these rules. Most any other year the safety come in a blows him up in the chest. Now you can expect players to go low and take out knees. Truth is that play could have ended much much worse. We could have watched his leg snap in two at that speed. He's lucky he has any knee left at all as he was just had put all pressure on his right leg in mid stride. I almost expected his leg to just get ripped apart like a twig.

I was thinking the same exact thing

Thats why, as painful as this remedy sounds, these should be reviewable. These 15 yard penalties are absolutly brutal and game changers. Like I said, Dallas was getting blown out whether they made this call or not but it did extend a drive that should have ended and they got 7 points from it

Problem is if you review those, you need review on PI too because it can be a huge game changer (CLE--NE game as an example). And really any penalty can be a game changer, any penalty on a defense can negate a turnover, so those should be reviewed as well.

Pretty soon we've got 50% or more of the subjective calls being reviewed, which is not a good idea in any sport.

I hope the NFL can find a good solution, better (full time) refs might help. But I honestly don't think that review is the answer, nor do I think it will be done.

Problem is if you review those, you need review on PI too because it can be a huge game changer (CLE--NE game as an example). And really any penalty can be a game changer, any penalty on a defense can negate a turnover, so those should be reviewed as well.

Pretty soon we've got 50% or more of the subjective calls being reviewed, which is not a good idea in any sport.

I hope the NFL can find a good solution, better (full time) refs might help. But I honestly don't think that review is the answer, nor do I think it will be done.

Good point

reviews are needed to lengthen the game for the networks and their sponsors :thinking:

I have zero problem with them reviewing personal foul calls as well as pass interference calls as long as that dingbat Jeff Triplett isn't under the hood. I mean, Jesus, how do you have replay and still eff it up?

Edited by CaptainHook

I think just the opposite. Stop throwing flags, start throwing suspensions (that stick) after the fact. Coaches will start coaching it the moment they truly fear suspensions. Right now they don't. Imagine Harbaugh's reaction when he loses his starting safety for 2 games.

• Like 1

I think just the opposite. Stop throwing flags, start throwing suspensions (that stick) after the fact. Coaches will start coaching it the moment they truly fear suspensions. Right now they don't. Imagine Harbaugh's reaction when he loses his starting safety for 2 games.

That would pretty much be the nail in footballs coffin if they started regularly suspending guys for these penalties, especially since many of these calls, like with selvie, are phantom calls. We all just have to get used to an incredibly watered down product. You never see kick offs anymore and in the rare case that you do there is a penalty 7 out of 10 times. You cant really hit anyone anymore. The NFL will always be profitable I suppose but it has become a very sad product. Enjoy more hits like the one Gronk got on Sunday Goodell. You asked for it

Edited by whomper

That would pretty much be the nail in footballs coffin if they started regularly suspending guys for these penalties, especially since many of these calls, like with selvie, are phantom calls.

I would have to disagree, look at the targeting rule that was instated for college football. The ejection is reviewable but the penalty not - now that there is a much bigger consequence than a penalty, coaches are really making it a point to teach their players not go for the head. IMO this has decreased the amount of high hits that even look like they may be a penalty, so indirectly decreasing bad calls as well. I have not seen an uptick at all in the low hits like what Gronk took.

Edited by bud29

That would pretty much be the nail in footballs coffin if they started regularly suspending guys for these penalties, especially since many of these calls, like with selvie, are phantom calls. We all just have to get used to an incredibly watered down product. You never see kick offs anymore and in the rare case that you do there is a penalty 7 out of 10 times. You cant really hit anyone anymore. The NFL will always be profitable I suppose but it has become a very sad product. Enjoy more hits like the one Gronk got on Sunday Goodell. You asked for it

I think you're missing the point, the suspensions would be based on a review of the play and deciding if it was something that deserves the suspension. So Selvie's phantom calls and others like it would not get a suspension. I know many thought the hit on Brees a few weeks ago (tackler's arm moved up over the shoulder making contact with the neck) was a phantom call as well. It would depend how they make their rules whether that is a suspension or not.

I don't follow college football, but if what bud29 posted is accurate I'd say they have a good system.

I just have a problem if we go down that path of reviewing things that can be subjective, only when its a big penalty (like any personal foul or 15 yard or more penalty, negates a TO, etc.)