[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We are not watching football anymore

Cowboyz1

Call me names all you want. I'm fine with it. Yes I do like to see receivers show the toughness to go over the middle, take a good hit and hold on to the ball for his team, and first down...............Love it. I thought is was a good thing to have DBs that could own the middle of the field and force teams to play more cautious over the middle. QB's had to be accurate and throw low and away to protect their receivers. Took more skill to do that. No different than boxing, you can fight with your hands down if you want too but hey that's gonna cost you. Going across the middle knowing you would take some punishment was a right of passage for many up and comers. You shouldn't be able to just waltz across the middle with out some sort of fear of getting lit up. That's football my friend. I would much rather a guy hit me high then low, at least if he hits me high worse thing is I get the wind knocked out of me and in rare cases get my bell rung.

Exactly.

I don't think anyone wants guys to get seriously hurt, but bruises and even injuries are part of the risk and part of the game...in fact, big jarring hits are a HUGE part of why people like the game, and you can't have those without having some injuries. If the NFL gets increasingly turned into Martinball, I agree that they might as well make it flag football and exchange the pads and helmets for tutus. Soon it'll be almost impossible to make a legit tackle and you'll see defenders so skittish due to excessive rules that you'll see a lot more missed tackles or weak attempts at one. I'm seeing more of it already. Can't hit high because if you do much more than breathe on the helmet, it's a penalty. Can't hit low because you're "going for the knees." Doesn't leave much of a target.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rogers-Cromartie penalized for using his shoulder to hit HOU's WR in the shoulder, which the replay clearly showed. The call? Unnecessary roughness, hitting the WR with his helmet.

Textbook D play by a DB and instead the ref calls something that didn't exist. This **** is getting so tiresome to watch.

LOL. Geno Smith takes a dive while running OOB, was barely touched by the CLE player ... one official waves it off as a non-penalty (the ref right on the play) then another official comes in from off-tv-screen with a late flag. Result is a 15 yard roughing call, giving the NYJ a FG to end the half. I will admit, the CLE player involved likely could have totally avoided contact w/Smith at all if he'd really tried, but the NBA-worthy flop by Smith was so blatant as to be ridiculous.

Case and point, another sign they can't play football anymore. MNF Whitner hits Jackson with a textbook shoulder thump and gets flagged for PF. 1st and goal Atlanta, Jackson scores. Ridiculous. I guess he was suppose to wait and let him catch it then hope he falls down on his own and touch him down. Horrible call. Now they could be costing fantasy football leagues thousands as Jackson just got an undeserved TD.

Edited by Cowboyz1
  • Like 1

Case and point, another sign they can't play football anymore. MNF Whitner hits Jackson with a textbook shoulder thump and gets flagged for PF. 1st and goal Atlanta, Jackson scores. Ridiculous. I guess he was suppose to wait and let him catch it then hope he falls down on his own and touch him down. Horrible call.

Looked like a clean hit to me too. Plus, Jackson was going low to catch the ball.

Simple solution:

Every player from here on out signs a waiver as part of their first contract that says:

I waive my right to sue the nfl for any concussion, head, back, neck, leg, or testicle related injuries during my employment in the nfl.

Done. Bring back the hitting and let them beat the crap out of each other.

• Like 3

Simple solution:

Every player from here on out signs a waiver as part of their first contract that says:

I waive my right to sue the nfl for any concussion, head, back, neck, leg, or testicle related injuries during my employment in the nfl.

Done. Bring back the hitting and let them beat the crap out of each other.

I agree 100%.

How about this:

A booth referee(s) that signal down to the field when there is a roughing penalty or pass interference penalty that needs to be called after viewing all angles?

Games would be like 8 hours long. I thought about that but it may work if only calls already made on the field were reviewed quickly like we see in replay. Quick buzz down saying cool or your wrong, game on.

• Like 1

LOL. Geno Smith takes a dive while running OOB, was barely touched by the CLE player ... one official waves it off as a non-penalty (the ref right on the play) then another official comes in from off-tv-screen with a late flag. Result is a 15 yard roughing call, giving the NYJ a FG to end the half. I will admit, the CLE player involved likely could have totally avoided contact w/Smith at all if he'd really tried, but the NBA-worthy flop by Smith was so blatant as to be ridiculous.

CLE player had no need to hit Smith at all, he was out of bounds, the guy shoves him with both hands knocking him down. Yep great act by Geno, but the player absolutely deserved the penalty, if for nothing else than his stupidity. Borderline call, but hardly another example of horrible officiating (or the demise of the NFL due to some percevied pussifaction.

• 3 weeks later...

:lol: That was basically a textbook penalty, I don't think anyone can (rightfully) get their panties in a bunch about that.

Edited by bud29

:lol: That was basically a textbook penalty, I don't think anyone can (rightfully) get their panties in a bunch about that.

If you watch the play, the Safety came in shoulder first chest high, and didn't launch. Harvin bends down just before the hit to protect himself and lowers his torso right into the hit. Penalty maybe but at that speed there was nothing the Safety could do. Just makes a bad call in my book.

I got mad when that flag came out on the seahawks first possession, but after seeing the replay I realized the zebras got it right.

The saint defender was trying his best to decapitate the receiver.