[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Coach of the Year

wpayers

With the ambers of the Manning/Foles debate still smoldering, I thought it would be appropriate to debate the NFL coach of the year.

My top candidates are:

Andy Reid - obvious rags to riches story...but were they really that bad to begin?

Sean Payton - Nice guy and great coach, doing for hair gel what Pascual Perez did for Jheri Curl

Pete Carroll - can't argue with success but is all that rah-rah stuff really necessary?

Jim Harbaugh - grinding it out w/o major talent but may not even win division.

Bill Belichick - he's got Gisele's vote which is good enough for me.

Dark Horses:

Joe Philbin - somehow escaped BullyGate unscathed and has the Fins playing great

Chip Kelly - turned the Pistol into a Star Wars Lightsaber, saved the city of Brotherly Love from itself

Marc Trestman - love the offense and could make Cutler irrelevant enough to play for the Browns

Sorry but No:

John Fox - Realize he didn't plan it but he took a midseason powder. He's also got the MVP so it's not a fair fight.

Your thoughts?

If Alex Smith's Chiefs beat SF in the SB..that'd be pretty damn funny

Yep , funny and heartbreaking to the loyal 49ers fans who still are wondering if letting him go was mistake ,

I say if the two did meet in the SB the winning coach would be MVC ,

Reid did it with 9ers throw away or

Harbaugh proved the trade was the right one

KC was supposed to be good last year, had tons of talent....insert 4th place schedule and a good qb to go along with it and is it really a surprise they have done well??? Jerry Jones could have coached this team to the playoffs, I can't give credit to Reid unless he leads them through the playoffs!!!

Edited by dope man

I hope Rivera gets it. He's paid a lot of dues in his playing and coaching career.

Trestman only has a chance if Da Bears go 'All-The-Way'. But he does seem to have a knack for extracting the best out of an Offense/QB. Strange for a Bear Coach.

Since Peyton Manning is as much the offensive coordinator as Adam Gase(who?), perhaps he should get Coach of the Year as well as MVP. The Denver players are more afraid of letting Manning down and earning the PGoD - Peyton Glare of Disapproval - than they are of Fox

• Like 1

Since Peyton Manning is as much the offensive coordinator as Adam Gase(who?), perhaps he should get Coach of the Year as well as MVP. The Denver players are more afraid of letting Manning down and earning the PGoD - Peyton Glare of Disapproval - than they are of Fox

Insightful...you keep on thinking Butch.

I like Arians this year. Clearly that guy can flat out coach. Look at last year, this year, and for that matter, how Pittsburgh has done since he left.

Reid would probably be my second choice, followed by Rivera. Though you could really flip flop all three of these guys and they are deserving.

FYI, the award is voted on and decided PRIOR to the playoffs.

I think it's Reid but there are a handful of deserving candidates (Rivera, Arians, Trestman & Kelly to name some).

Schedule or not the Chiefs won just 2 games last year. When a coach gets to 10+ wins after a 2 win season he's a frontrunner for the award.

On top of that...

Reid had a horrid year last year (it shouldn't matter but I'm sure it's in the back of voters minds)

He's doing it with a castoff QB. Say what you will but that is what Smith is/was.

Oh and did I mention the Chiefs had just 2 frickin wins last year.

If I had to give the award to someone other than Reid I'd probably give it to Bruce Arians. And after he upsets Seattle, in Seattle, this weekend, I'm sure others will start talking more about him. But upset or not, he's done a fantastic job with the Cardinals.

Edited by keggerz
  • Like 2

FYI, the award is voted on and decided PRIOR to the playoffs.

I think it's Reid but there are a handful of deserving candidates (Rivera, Arians, Trestman & Kelly to name some).

Schedule or not the Chiefs won just 2 games last year. When a coach gets to 10+ wins after a 2 win season he's a frontrunner for the award.

On top of that...

Reid had a horrid year last year (it shouldn't matter but I'm sure it's in the back of voters minds)

He's doing it with a castoff QB. Say what you will but that is what Smith is/was.

Oh and did I mention the Chiefs had just 2 frickin wins last year.

If I had to give the award to someone other than Reid I'd probably give it to Bruce Arians. And after he upsets Seattle, in Seattle, this weekend, I'm sure others will start talking more about him. But upset or not, he's done a fantastic job with the Cardinals.

This