[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Teams destined to disappoint

Only In America

They lost their two starting corners. While they might be old, when Taylor and Vincent went out last year, their backups did horrible.

You obviously didn't watch a whole lot of Eagles football last year. All you Eagles haters out here are going to be shocked at how talented these two young corners are. I just wish we had a bit more depth there.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#1 Packers- Lost there best corner and there OK D has gotten worse.

#2 Eagles- They will not get home field this year (that might be a good thing) but I think home field goit them to the NFC Championship game in the past couple years. Philly is a pressure cooker and McNabb will falter in it. T.O. will embarass the team and fans eventully it's just a matter of when.

There are two or three teams everybody has as Super Bowl favorites this year.  I'll give reason why a couple might have more trouble than commonly assumed.

PHILLIE:  They lost their two starting corners.  While they might be old, when Taylor and Vincent went out last year, their backups did horrible.  That gives me no confidence the Eagles' corners will cover anybody this year.  Signing Kearse is supposed to help the defense and he will--for the six games he's in there.  Kearse is always hurt.

Owens is a huge upgrade at reciever.  But he's been dinged for years and is over thirty now.  And reciever isn't normally the position that puts teams over the top.  Moss, Harrison, Owens...none of these guys have ever made a Super Bowl.  The Eagles needed competance at the wide reciever position and overspent on a 30+ reciever to get excellence.

The 'Boys, 'Skins and Giants are all heading to disappointing years, so the Eagles win the division.  I'm saying they do little in the playoffs, though, after a frustrating year.  How many times do teams make the conference title game four years in a row?

NEW ENGLAND:  This is a little if-ier, but I want to rain on their parade a little.  The reason their defense was so excellent last year was they could go standard 4-3 on first down, standard 3-4 on second and zone blitz on third.  They had veterans who knew the defense so well they could change up and hide their scheme and still execute.  I saw where the average age of their d-linemen last year was 29.something last year.  This year, it is 24.something.  They are trying to get younger in the d-line.  With Wilfork in the mix, this will make them better in the long run.  In the short term, I'm saying breaking in the young guys causes problems in running Belichek's intricate defensive schemes.  Add to it the fact the NFL has said it will enforce interference rules with the Patriots in mind this year, and I'm saying the Patriots Def. won't have quite the same edge as last year.  Besides, Dillon is finished and Brady goes out on the first play off the season.  :D

344070[/snapback]

:D thats funny

There are two or three teams everybody has as Super Bowl favorites this year.  I'll give reason why a couple might have more trouble than commonly assumed.

PHILLIE:  They lost their two starting corners.  While they might be old, when Taylor and Vincent went out last year, their backups did horrible.  That gives me no confidence the Eagles' corners will cover anybody this year.  Signing Kearse is supposed to help the defense and he will--for the six games he's in there.  Kearse is always hurt.

Owens is a huge upgrade at reciever.  But he's been dinged for years and is over thirty now.  And reciever isn't normally the position that puts teams over the top.  Moss, Harrison, Owens...none of these guys have ever made a Super Bowl.  The Eagles needed competance at the wide reciever position and overspent on a 30+ reciever to get excellence.

The 'Boys, 'Skins and Giants are all heading to disappointing years, so the Eagles win the division.  I'm saying they do little in the playoffs, though, after a frustrating year.  How many times do teams make the conference title game four years in a row?

NEW ENGLAND:  This is a little if-ier, but I want to rain on their parade a little.  The reason their defense was so excellent last year was they could go standard 4-3 on first down, standard 3-4 on second and zone blitz on third.  They had veterans who knew the defense so well they could change up and hide their scheme and still execute.  I saw where the average age of their d-linemen last year was 29.something last year.  This year, it is 24.something.  They are trying to get younger in the d-line.  With Wilfork in the mix, this will make them better in the long run.  In the short term, I'm saying breaking in the young guys causes problems in running Belichek's intricate defensive schemes.  Add to it the fact the NFL has said it will enforce interference rules with the Patriots in mind this year, and I'm saying the Patriots Def. won't have quite the same edge as last year.  Besides, Dillon is finished and Brady goes out on the first play off the season.  :D

344070[/snapback]

Tell me why the skins will dissappoint this year. More so than last? Gibbs wins everything he sets his mind to. That is a fact. These guys won 5 games last year playing for arguably the worst nfl coach ever. I see that as just winning on pure talent without a game plan. Gibbs will get them to play together. It won't be a surprise to me to see them holding the Lombardi trophy at the end of the season.

It won't be a surprise to me to see them holding the Lombardi trophy at the end of the season.

344121[/snapback]

no way.... not this year...... they'll be .500... maybe 9-7, IMHO.

and speaking of Lombardi, big A..... your sigline is mis-quoted.

Lombardi himself made that quote famous long before the yer boy Vidal ever knew about it.

It's one of his most famous quotes ever.

Lombardi himself made that quote famous long before the yer boy Vidal ever knew about it.

344131[/snapback]

Actually, quote is originally attributed to Mark Twain.

no way.... not this year...... they'll be .500... maybe 9-7, IMHO.

344131[/snapback]

[/quote

I think it's evan older than that. I just like the reaction I get having Vidal Sassoon on my sig. We will just have to see about the Skins this year. I am just saying that the talent on this team + a legendary coach and winner could = success very soon.

packers OL isn't even touching the Eagles...and the Eagles aren't even touching the Chiefs OL...

343214[/snapback]

Brett Favre was sacked just 19 times last season. I believe that was second best only to Manning among QBs who started 16 games.

McScabb was sacked 43 times. Second-worst in the league. Worst in the NFC. :eek:

Ahman Green rushed for 1883 yards. Best in the NFC. Second-best in the NFL. The Packers as a team rushed for 2558 yards.

The Eagles barely eclipsed 2000 yards rushing. :eek:

I can see arguing that KC has a better offensive line...maybe...but I'm not sure that I believe the Eagles have gone from average to spectacular in one offseason. I'd like to hear why you think so.

#1 Packers- Lost there best corner and there OK D has gotten worse.

344103[/snapback]

McKenzie is still a Packer last time I checked. I suspect once the Packers start cutting the big paychecks and he's not getting one that he'll report. Without McKenzie, the Packers are admittedly hurting in the secondary. But let's not forget they gave up less than 20 points per game last year ... 5th best in the NFC. They haven't lost anyone else. One lost player isn't going to sink their ship.

the Eagles offense was practically nonexistent until after that Giants game....

McNabbwas sacked so many times because AR was a pass-happy fool with Trash and Stinkston as his 1-2 punch....adding TO automatically makes me call Pinkston by his actual name and FredEX will produce by default....

not to mention AR didn't really start calling running plays until he realized he had to win games....

2/3 of the season, Eagles offense mustered most of those numbers.....

not bad actually..

When considering dissapointment,you have to consider the team.Yes,the Eagles are very good.But after getting as far as they have the last few years,then choking,it was a disapointment each year.So anything short of the Super Bowl is a disapointment there.Now,I'm a Bears fan...so I'm used to losing...constantly.So my only disapointment would be if they didn't win any games at all.I believe the Titans will be a disapointment this year.Aready are in my book,by dumping on George.Classy guy,deserved better than that.Back to the point,I feel they might not even make the playoffs this year.New RB,I know McNair is an ironman,but sooner or later he's gonna get that season ender,and this might be the year.

Colts - did nothinging to improve themselves!

343142[/snapback]

Dallas Clark is back from his broken leg. The Colts drafted a hard hitting FS Bob Sanders. They got rid of both their starting CB's, bringing in younger better players. The major loss was strong side LB Marcus Wahington to the Redskins. Weak side LB David Thornton moves over and should excell. New weak side LB Cato June has been playing well in practice. The Colts are much deeper than they were last year at TE and safety, 2 spots where injuries really hurt them in the playoffs last year.

Colts  I agree they did nothing to upgrade.  I really like Dungy, but he could never get to the big game when in Tampa.  Besides, Irsay still sucks.

343187[/snapback]

Just so you know, Bob Irsay is dead. Jim Irsay did not move the team. LET IT GO. By the way, where did the Ravens come from??

Even if the Colts did make it to the Super Bowl, it would be like Bucs vs Raiders all over again.

343191[/snapback]

??Huh??

agree with that for sure..... Dan snyder's finally spent his money wisely hiring gibbs.

344173[/snapback]

geez, no wonder...I kep't changing the channel looking for the MNF game the other night 'cuz I saw Joe Gibbs coaching the Deadskins and thought I was seeing an old NFL Classic game or rerun...my bad...

Tell me why the skins will dissappoint this year. More so than last?  Gibbs wins everything he sets his mind to.  That is a fact.  These guys won 5 games last year playing for arguably the worst nfl coach ever.  I see that as just winning on pure talent without a game plan.  Gibbs will get them to play together.  It won't be a surprise to me to see them holding the Lombardi trophy at the end of the season.

344121[/snapback]

The Redskins will be better than last year, but that's not going out on a limb. They have Gibbs instead of Spurrier. They have Portis instead of Trung.

My point was the Eagles would win the division, while still frustrating their fans with a lack of "dominance". My point about the Redskins is they would not win the division.

Don't worry. Gibbs will get the team turned around. I just don't think it's this year. Great coaches don't have great seasons every year.

Here's why the 'Skins won't compete for a division title (i.e. in my loosely-chosen words "disappoint"). Their offensive line still needs improvement and one of their stalwarts is gone. Portis is a huge upgrade, but he has shown he gets dinged up a lot. Coles is nursing an injury that could (could, mind you) linger all year. Brunell and Ramsey both looked awful the other night and Brunell's days of high level performance are years behind him.

On the other side of the ball, the loss of Champ Bailey is huge. Springs is a good recovery and shows Gibbs had a plan, but he just isn't Champ Bailey. The rookie safety looks awesome. Still, the defense needs to be better than (and not just the about the same as) last year if they want to be a playoff contender.

With Vinny as the skipper in Dallas, the 'Skins may well place second in the division. But if you think Gibbs automatically ensures the playoffs, this season will be disappointing for Redskins fans.

Give Gibbs a year to evaluate and stock the team with more solid players and they might be able to compete for division titles.

As for the person who said I didn't watch many Eagles games: The first half of the season, when the young corners were in there, the Eagles Defense was getting shredded. I saw enough of their games to say they just did not look like the Eagles D of previous years. In the second half of the year, when the veterans started returning, the D obviously looked better. The young corners may have shown potential to their coaches and fans. That's like Pete Hunter showing potential to Parcells; he showed it while getting schooled. You've obviously seen the Eagles new corners more than I have; personally, I have to see their corners step up before I'm ready to say the Eagles Defense continues without skipping a beat.

My point being, the NFC East will have a bit of a down year this year. The Super Bowl contender from the NFC won't come from it. And I bet none of the teams makes the NFC Title Game.

Are you willing to put your money where your mouth is?  I will be willing to take each one of those teams against the Chefs.  You name the stakes..

343704[/snapback]

So you wanna spin the big wheel and play You Name The Stakes...... Well step on down Big Boy. The teams that you have chosen since this is your idea are Denver, N. England, Tennesse, Jacksonville, Carolina, and Indianapolis. I will take the Chiefs all season long +3.5 points each game. Go ahead tell me the wager or are you worried you might get your peter stepped on.

Chiefs will be the one. Crybaby Vermeil lost Tait, and although his mileage isn't as high as usual for someone of his age, he's over 30 without a PROVEN backup.

Green is an injury risk until he can make another full year without hitting the bench for at least a few games.

Also, their division isn't as bad as people think: the Raiders will be better off with the personnel they brought in, and I believe the Broncos made the right choice in their trade. Also, SD won't be quite as bad as peopl ethink, their D is pretty stiff.

So you wanna spin the big wheel and play You  Name The Stakes...... Well step on down Big Boy. The teams that you have chosen since this is your idea  are Denver, N. England, Tennesse, Jacksonville, Carolina, and  Indianapolis. I will take the Chiefs all season long +3.5 points each game. Go ahead tell me the wager or are you worried you might get your peter stepped on.

344455[/snapback]

I said these teams would beat the Chefs. You said the Chefs would beat these teams. You didnt mention that the Chefs would need a 3.5 point handicap to win these games. When I ask you to put your money where your mouth is, you change your mind and feel like KC needs some points to win these games. So, do you want to back up your original claim or not?

A total of seven games, regular season only, straight up. Go ahead and put the other foot in front of the other one, whats the wager? The likes of a 100.00 a game sounds good to me.

344478[/snapback]

Done. $100 per game. each game straight up. no points