[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lewis and Blount

ImNotSoIgnorant

I'm not sure what you mean by Blount not being ready to come back. He participated in the entire offseason, and preseason and only sat the 1st game. The only thing I can conclude is that BB realized how much better and option Lewis is than Blount. Blount was in the game during the 4th quarter of the their last preseason game as well. I tend to agree with you that Lewis is the most fantasy viable one to have. I think this week will either confirm that, or prove that it's still the same old situation.

It will depend on what the opposing defense is better at stopping, and what the game-plan for attacking that defense will be each week. Against a weaker run defense, I could see Blount getting a lot more of the carries with Lewis still getting the 3rd down role. If the offensive game plan will be to drop back a throw 100 times like against Buffalo, then Lewis will get most of the carries.

I'm not sure what you mean by Blount not being ready to come back. He participated in the entire offseason, and preseason and only sat the 1st game. The only thing I can conclude is that BB realized how much better and option Lewis is than Blount. Blount was in the game during the 4th quarter of the their last preseason game as well. I tend to agree with you that Lewis is the most fantasy viable one to have. I think this week will either confirm that, or prove that it's still the same old situation.

And just when you think you've got it figured out Blount will be the workhorse and rumble for 100+ & 2 TDs.

BB doesn't play RBs for fantasy points or even talent. It all depends on how he wants to attack the opponent he is facing that week. And it may not even be how you expect. A team may be susceptable to a RB catching out of the backfield one week and while you'd think BB would attack the same, he may see that their issue would be easily fixed for their matchup and see another way he can exploit that. That's what makes him a good coach and also what makes him a frustration for fantasy owners and defensive coordinators alike.

• Like 4

And just when you think you've got it figured out Blount will be the workhorse and rumble for 100+ & 2 TDs.

BB doesn't play RBs for fantasy points or even talent. It all depends on how he wants to attack the opponent he is facing that week. And it may not even be how you expect. A team may be susceptable to a RB catching out of the backfield one week and while you'd think BB would attack the same, he may see that their issue would be easily fixed for their matchup and see another way he can exploit that. That's what makes him a good coach and also what makes him a frustration for fantasy owners and defensive coordinators alike.

Oh I agree with everything you said and am well aware of BB's tendancys when it comes to RB usage. I have Lewis in one of my leagues and really want to play him but I wouldn't be surprised if Blount gets 80% of the RB snaps this week. But it is out of character for BB to not bench Lewis after he fumbled week 1 and last week.

Edited by Finn5033

I think you're right, and it might happen - but not to the extent it has in the past. Blount is there for end of season and playoff smash mouth weather. They will run and pass to Lewis until he breaks first.

I wonder if Dion will lose his role the next time he fumbles?

If they had another RB who brought something even approaching his skill set, I think he would already have lost it (2 fumbles in 2 games is a big Beli no-no). That being the case, if he were to get yanked, I'd expect Bolden to be the primary beneficiary. Blount just doesn't allow the offense to work the same way so, unless they had specifically game-planned to use Blount, I doubt they'd just sub him in for Lewis.

James White doesn't play special teams and didn't get cut. So you have to figure Belichick still views him as a possibility. Also, Travaris Cadet is back from injury and he also has pass receiving skills.

But neither has ever been given an appreciable role in a Pats game yet - Bolden has (and has done pretty damn well). I'm not claiming to have the definitive answer here but Beli tends to go with guys who he trusts.

Looking at Jacksonville and how the pats have played thus far and including BB's X variability and other iffy things I'm guessing Lewis will be using mostly in the passing game and that Blount, maybe Bolden, will be doing the hard/inbetween the tackles running. In this case I think it will be a lot more running from RBs instead of pass plays. Now I just have to decide if that makes him better to start over Ingram and/or Freeman. Sometimes have a lot of good options is more frustrating than not. At least with few options I can let go/give up and await the results.

Lewis fumbled.... and stayed in the game.

That in itself makes me think hes got a big role going forward

This. Belecheck benched Jonas Grey last year a week after he got 4 TDs just because he fumbled in the game. Lewis has had 2 fumbles already I think and Belecheck keeps going back to him. That is unheard of from a coach that is notorious for benching guys that fumble. They clearly have a very defined role planned for this him, and it's for the long haul imo.

I believe they will still use Blount when they want to burn the clock or on 1st downs and red zone looks, but this team is in straight up revenge mode. Very similar to the year after Spygate. They are out to prove to the world that they don't need to cheat to win, and they are gonna go full out pedal to the metal this year. So that means more passing and less rushing.

I think this kid is here to stay.

Brady is even throwing bombs down the sideline to this Lewis. And he is catching them.

Edited by Alphashado

with injuries to Ellington I am forced to start Blount this week along side of Jamal Charles. The simplest production out of blount would have given me a win last week. I hope he gets his turn this week

• Like 1