[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

SF starting unknown Mullens at QB

stevegrab

CJ Bethard's wrist injury is bad enough that he will not start, and instead Nick Mullens will get the start with CJ the backup. This guy has never taken an NFL snap, probably didn't have much time to practice with the short week and GTD scenario. 

I think the Raiders are a crafty start this week if you need one. Eagles are on a bye and other options (MIA, DET, GB, SF) that are available don't look very good. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2804019-report-nick-mullens-to-start-for-49ers-vs-raiders-due-to-cj-beathard-injury

21 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I think the Raiders are a crafty start this week if you need one. Eagles are on a bye and other options (MIA, DET, GB, SF) that are available don't look very good. 

Meh.  Yeah the guy's never taken an NFL snap, which means he's super green, but the Raiders are bereft of playmakers (oops, Khalil Mack?) and have no tape on the guy.  If you were absolutely scrambling for a spot start, maybe you go with them, but I wouldn't expect much.  I could be wrong.

2 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Meh.  Yeah the guy's never taken an NFL snap, which means he's super green, but the Raiders are bereft of playmakers (oops, Khalil Mack?) and have no tape on the guy.  If you were absolutely scrambling for a spot start, maybe you go with them, but I wouldn't expect much.  I could be wrong.

I could be wrong too, but I am definitely struggling and there isn't much out there. We are D only, no ST and D scoring is low. But I needed somebody and none of the other available options looked very good. I have no doubt that some of the FA options I had will score more, its just not very predictable. 

40 minutes ago, loaf said:

the Raiders put up one of the worst performances by any team I think I've ever seen

They looked like the Browns of 2016/17 seasons tanking away for a high draft pick.

Yep epic failure on this sneaky move on my part. Paid $2 to get the same zero I could have with the Eagles on bye. no sacks, no turnovers, over 30 points allowed. Oh and I also had Jordy Nelson going, and he got me a whopping 1.6 points on his monster 2/16 day. (I plugged him in instead of DT who I'm sure will go off for 150/2 now against the Broncos). 

As I said, I'm sure some defenses I could have added will score better, wasn't strongly considering SF but a friend tossed that idea out when I mentioned Raiders facing first time QB, they had 11 points (mostly the 8 sacks). MIA and DET were other options. None of them were very appealing.

I took a risk, and trusted my gut, and I got kicked in the gut. If I lose the season is over (was only mathematically alive) and I can worry less about weekly line-up.

One more thing, why was anybody watching after the MustStart 50+ yard TD run?  

PS  I love how Joe and Troy were gushing over Mullens, I seem to recall some high praise for Beathard as well when he played, and of course Jimmy G was fitted for his HOF jacket after going 5-0 last year. Why do they do this with every SF QB that shows some promise, so eager to treat them like the next Montana/Young.

Edited by stevegrab