[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vaxxed or unvaxxed?

irish

25 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

it a appears that Covid hospitalization numbers may have been inflated and/or people may have been unnecessarily hospitalized because hospitals were getting bonus payments for Covid patients from Medicare

Indeed, we've been saying that from day 1 and it's still happening. It's a backsided end around bamboozling. Can people finally see it? 

6 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

Sounds like a conspiracy theory

Sounds like I'm reading the information given in the article and surmising a possibility using logic.

ETA: You know what makes me trust my instinct enough to make that statement? Because,  while the title (and source) suggests a slant to one side, the results are not particularly flattering to either side. Instant takeaways,  lack of covid shot efficiency may be artificially damaged because covid hospitalization numbers may be artificially inflated. 

Edited by rajncajn

16 hours ago, rajncajn said:

Sounds like I'm reading the information given in the article and surmising a possibility using logic.

ETA: You know what makes me trust my instinct enough to make that statement? Because,  while the title (and source) suggests a slant to one side, the results are not particularly flattering to either side. Instant takeaways,  lack of covid shot efficiency may be artificially damaged because covid hospitalization numbers may be artificially inflated. 

Remember some of the numbers that were posted in here? Anyone with a little common sense knew it was all bullshizz, but don't challenge it or disagree. #sheep 

The share of patients getting Covid drugs – a sign that doctors were treating them for more severe Covid, not another condition, was substantially lower, and particularly so among those who had been vaccinated or boosted...

This piece here seems to speak to the efficacy of the vaccine and booster at preventing severe covid.

And agree, there is a difference between being in the hospital "for" Covid and "with" Covid, but regardless, if you are in the hospital "with" it in any capacity the appropriate mitigations need to be in place. Can't say I agree with the "bonus" as some refer to it for treating Covid, but regardless, it was set up such that if someone was in with Covid, there were extra payments made to the hospital doing the treating.

Was there "shady" practices at some hospitals? I'd say almost definitely, but, from the past reports that I've seen, much like the claims of voter fraud, it is a very statistically insignificant number in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Big Country said:

This piece here seems to speak to the efficacy of the vaccine and booster at preventing severe covid.

And agree, there is a difference between being in the hospital "for" Covid and "with" Covid, but regardless, if you are in the hospital "with" it in any capacity the appropriate mitigations need to be in place. Can't say I agree with the "bonus" as some refer to it for treating Covid, but regardless, it was set up such that if someone was in with Covid, there were extra payments made to the hospital doing the treating.

Was there "shady" practices at some hospitals? I'd say almost definitely, but, from the past reports that I've seen, much like the claims of voter fraud, it is a very statistically insignificant number in the grand scheme of things.

One of my mom's best friends went to the hospital for something (I think she fell and hurt her hip maybe? ... I forget) a few weeks ago, and while she was there, they discovered she had COVID.  It got worse.  They wanted to put her on oxygen therapy and she declined.... died hours later.  She had a ton of other health issues (Parkinson's, for one), but did not go to the hospital for COVID.  I feel terrible for my mom, especially since she told me that another one of her friends was also in the hospital, got on the oxygen therapy, and is 100% recovered now.  Of course she didn't have the other health issues, but still. 

10 hours ago, Big Country said:

I do take some pleasure in watching LC spiking the football when anyone who read the thing realizes it isn't vindicating him.  

#trucknuts

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Big Country said:

It's hard for me not to agree with some sort of supplemental support, because treating covid did put a lot of added burden on the medical industry. But on the other hand you had hospitals shutting down all non-essential procedures and many doctors offices and medical clinics closing their doors. You'd think the extra help they need would be available. My cousin is an MSN family nurse practitioner and her company sent her home during the pandemic. She tried to get on with a couple of the hospitals her company works with, but nobody would bring her on. The way everything was handled from the start was just so strange. Maybe it was just the newness and suddenness of the situation and how quickly it got out of control. I'd hope that whenever this happens again that we've learned a lot of lessons from this experience.

I do still have beef with the reporting part, though. I don't necessarily blame the hospitals, but the distinctions between hospitalized/died "with" Covid and hospitalized/died "from" Covid should have never been in question from the start. The way it was reported and then used by the media and politicians led to a lot of unnecessary angst and fueled more divisiveness and distrust. 

2 hours ago, rajncajn said:

It's hard for me not to agree with some sort of supplemental support, because treating covid did put a lot of added burden on the medical industry. But on the other hand you had hospitals shutting down all non-essential procedures and many doctors offices and medical clinics closing their doors. You'd think the extra help they need would be available. My cousin is an MSN family nurse practitioner and her company sent her home during the pandemic. She tried to get on with a couple of the hospitals her company works with, but nobody would bring her on. The way everything was handled from the start was just so strange. Maybe it was just the newness and suddenness of the situation and how quickly it got out of control. I'd hope that whenever this happens again that we've learned a lot of lessons from this experience.

I do still have beef with the reporting part, though. I don't necessarily blame the hospitals, but the distinctions between hospitalized/died "with" Covid and hospitalized/died "from" Covid should have never been in question from the start. The way it was reported and then used by the media and politicians led to a lot of unnecessary angst and fueled more divisiveness and distrust. 

I agree with this - that the extra payments should have been better used to supplement staff, especially those displaced when non-essential/elective procedures were shut down, that many lessons have been learned (not just by hospitals but all industries) in how best to handle a pandemic of this nature.

I also wish there were better sources of unbiased reporting, but unfortunately, media is really just another business primarily in the market of selling advertisements, which means getting views/clicks/subscriptions, which means they all veer to the extremes (this is hyperbole) to gain those and get the bigger advertising payments. That's not to say there aren't a plethora of reporters with the integrity to try keep their bias out of reporting stories, it's just that they are the ones most likely to get drowned out as their non-sensational approach doesn't draw in the viewers/readers.

1 hour ago, Big Country said:

I agree with this - that the extra payments should have been better used to supplement staff, especially those displaced when non-essential/elective procedures were shut down, that many lessons have been learned (not just by hospitals but all industries) in how best to handle a pandemic of this nature.

I also wish there were better sources of unbiased reporting, but unfortunately, media is really just another business primarily in the market of selling advertisements, which means getting views/clicks/subscriptions, which means they all veer to the extremes (this is hyperbole) to gain those and get the bigger advertising payments. That's not to say there aren't a plethora of reporters with the integrity to try keep their bias out of reporting stories, it's just that they are the ones most likely to get drowned out as their non-sensational approach doesn't draw in the viewers/readers.

Interestingly enough I'm having a similar discussion with someone who works for an HMO and they are claiming that the article has it just the opposite. He's saying that Covid deaths & hospitalizations were much worse than what the CDC was reporting. He says that Trump pressured them to underreport, which doesn't make sense to me because the CDC has never seemed to take a stance of trying to downplay Covid. It's very hard to know who to believe anymore.

Edited by rajncajn

Great discussion guys, keep it going. I'm not a fan of made up numbers, and both sides played loose with them to fit their politics.

Hopefully that study squelches the "vaccines are worthless" debate, not that there was much of it here, but certainly in the rest of the online world. 

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Great discussion guys, keep it going. I'm not a fan of made up numbers, and both sides played loose with them to fit their politics

Why does it have to be about politics? Right is right and wrong is wrong. This isn't anything new, we've been claiming these inconsistencies all along, and got goofed on for it. Just be honest, I don't care who you voted for. 

So, who's voting for Trump if he runs again?

3 hours ago, irish said:

So, who's voting for Trump if he runs again?

Not me, but I will certainly be voting for any other Republican not named Donald Trump. Who's dumb enough to vote for another Democrat after this disaster? Is your life any better today, no. 

Edited by League_Champion

On 5/21/2022 at 12:33 AM, League_Champion said:

Not me, but I will certainly be voting for any other Republican not named Donald Trump. Who's dumb enough to vote for another Democrat after this disaster? Is your life any better today, no. 

Glad to hear you're not supporting Trump. 

6 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Definitely not, but are we better off now? If so how? 

The Capitol won't be under seige.

• Like 1