[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vaxxed or unvaxxed?

irish

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

Well that kinda throws a monkey wrench into your whole argument, doesn't it. 

Not at all, being vaccinated greatly reduces my risk of getting very sick and dying. 

What is "my whole argument" and how did that throw a monkey wrench into it. Give me facts. 

Nothing gives 100% safety, I could crash my motorcycle and die even with a good helmet and other safety gear. I'll take my chances with the safety gear instead of riding in shorts and flip flops. I see the vaccine as good safety gear.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Not at all, being vaccinated greatly reduces my risk of getting very sick and dying. 

What is "my whole argument" and how did that throw a monkey wrench into it. Give me facts. 

Nothing gives 100% safety, I could crash my motorcycle and die even with a good helmet and other safety gear. I'll take my chances with the safety gear instead of riding in shorts and flip flops. I see the vaccine as good safety gear.

People just don't understand the benefit of getting the vaccine and it's social responsibility. 

5 hours ago, stevegrab said:

People refusing to get vaccinated and still going about daily life are the real spreaders. That is why schools want to mandate masks for the kids, since those under 12 cannot be vaccinated, and many won't bother to wear masks without a requirement, which makes sending kids back to school extremely dangerous. Some governors are making mask mandates impossible, illegal and punishable. Here in Ohio Gov. DeWine went on TV and told schools to require masks. What a difference, and sure to draw the ire of many on the right, he's already a target and called a RINO and the GOP controlled legislature has tried to stop him from doing anything about the pandemic.  

Sorry to get political, but it is impossible to separate from some of the basic issues, like mask requirements. 

Here's a good one for you..   Here in AZ, our governor Doug Douchey has signed a law making it illegal for any government or state run business to mandate masks - that includes schools. 

Last night I spoke with my sister in whom is a 3rd grade teacher - and school in her district started last Monday the 9th.  She has a class of 23 students.  She can't require students to wear masks, she can only encourage it - some kids do, some don't.  She said there is a problem child that everyone in the school knows about (autistic kid) who has already been held back twice mainly for failing and not doing any school work - once it was at the request of her father (divorced) and last year the school chose to hold her back as she is failing and won't do anything that's expected of her.  The kid lives with her mother (divorced) in whom is very very confrontational and defensive about her daughter (I suppose I would be too - to an extent).  Last Thursday, the kid was running around the room disrupting the entire class - she was sent to the office for not listening, and started complaining that she does not feel well and that's why she's not listening.  School called mom, mom said to leave her there, she's fine.  Kid was sent back to my sisters classroom and my sister said she (the kid) started looking ill and sent her back to the office / nurses office.  They took her temperature and it was north of 102.  Mom refused to come and get her, so they called Dad.  He was like WHY IS SHE AT SCHOOL?  SHE TESTED POSITIVE FOR COVID 3 DAYS AGO!    Uhh..  What.  The.  Fluck??

Come to find out - mom knew about it and said that she cannot take the stress of having her kid at home any longer and she needs to be in school.  What she was actually saying is you guys deal with her for 7 hours out of the day so I can have a free babysitter.  Yesterday, my sister's classroom was down to 11 kids as now 12 of them have all tested positive for Covid.  Somehow my sister has tested negative now 3 days in a row - but she's taking proper precautions.  I asked her if she gets paid if she comes down with it and is required to stay home and quarantine?  She said no - the state took away Covid pay this year.  Douchey pretty much said if teachers contract Covid, that's on them for not taking the proper precautions to avoid it.  Again - What. The. Fluck????

This really has nothing to do with vaccinations (although my sister is vaccinated), but the complete disregard for others that some people seem to take is extreme.  Unfortunately the only thing my sister can do is quit, or stay there and try to make the best of it.  She said if she quits, she's under contract and it will go against her teaching license making it very difficult to find work elsewhere.  Not sure I really have any point to this story other than this is what we are dealing with.  Not only does it affect people who don't want it and can't receive vaccination (kids) but those kids are taking it home to their families and spreading it at home - who knows what precautions they take at home.  

I told my sister that we weren't raised to be sue-happy and go searching for free money, but holy hell man - this screams lawsuit in my eyes.  I don't know that they can 'prove' that more than half the class got it from this one student, but seriously - the writing is on the wall - some dumbass knew her kid was infected with it but negligently sent her kid to school anyway cause she "didn't want to deal with her kid for 7 hours out of the day".  

Just wow!!! 

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

No, but I do think it is dangerous for the governors in TX and FL to ban mask mandates by local government including school boards, and to threaten them with legal action and withholding their funding for paying employees. I also think it is silly for the Gov of Mississippi to say they believe in freedom, not science (not his exact words, but the basic meaning).

From what I've heard Louisiana is doing better than others around them. Heck New Orleans is among the most safe with guidelines rivaling SF and NY (vaccines or negative test to do things like attending Saints game). 

Well, in truth, Florida isn't really banning masks in schools, or at least there's no teeth in the directive. It's more political fluff than anything. I have several relatives in Florida and schools are in fact wearing masks. As for your quote of Governor Reeves, don't quote someone if you don't actually know the quote. Reeves was talking about the change in the CDC guidance that vaccinated people should wear masks indoors. He said "The change in the CDC's mask guidance is foolish and harmful and it reeks of political panic to appear that they are in control," Reeves said. "It has nothing to do with rational science." Then he said, "In Mississippi, we believe in freedom." Of course that's all you get from the media so you don't know what he said after that last sentence. But at any rate, what you stated is a complete misrepresentation and typical of the idiocy that shows how disingenuous and divisive the media can be.

As for Louisiana, I wouldn't say they are the most safe. As I said, I've been there multiple times and it really looks no different than I've seen at home or in San Diego, where I've been twice already this year and about to go again. Just because Louisiana has JUST adopted new measures doesn't automatically make them better off. They haven't even implemented a lot of those measures yet.

Edited by rajncajn

1 hour ago, Shorttynaz said:

Here's a good one for you..   Here in AZ, our governor Doug Douchey has signed a law making it illegal for any government or state run business to mandate masks - that includes schools. 

Last night I spoke with my sister in whom is a 3rd grade teacher - and school in her district started last Monday the 9th.  She has a class of 23 students.  She can't require students to wear masks, she can only encourage it - some kids do, some don't.  She said there is a problem child that everyone in the school knows about (autistic kid) who has already been held back twice mainly for failing and not doing any school work - once it was at the request of her father (divorced) and last year the school chose to hold her back as she is failing and won't do anything that's expected of her.  The kid lives with her mother (divorced) in whom is very very confrontational and defensive about her daughter (I suppose I would be too - to an extent).  Last Thursday, the kid was running around the room disrupting the entire class - she was sent to the office for not listening, and started complaining that she does not feel well and that's why she's not listening.  School called mom, mom said to leave her there, she's fine.  Kid was sent back to my sisters classroom and my sister said she (the kid) started looking ill and sent her back to the office / nurses office.  They took her temperature and it was north of 102.  Mom refused to come and get her, so they called Dad.  He was like WHY IS SHE AT SCHOOL?  SHE TESTED POSITIVE FOR COVID 3 DAYS AGO!    Uhh..  What.  The.  Fluck??

Come to find out - mom knew about it and said that she cannot take the stress of having her kid at home any longer and she needs to be in school.  What she was actually saying is you guys deal with her for 7 hours out of the day so I can have a free babysitter.  Yesterday, my sister's classroom was down to 11 kids as now 12 of them have all tested positive for Covid.  Somehow my sister has tested negative now 3 days in a row - but she's taking proper precautions.  I asked her if she gets paid if she comes down with it and is required to stay home and quarantine?  She said no - the state took away Covid pay this year.  Douchey pretty much said if teachers contract Covid, that's on them for not taking the proper precautions to avoid it.  Again - What. The. Fluck????

This really has nothing to do with vaccinations (although my sister is vaccinated), but the complete disregard for others that some people seem to take is extreme.  Unfortunately the only thing my sister can do is quit, or stay there and try to make the best of it.  She said if she quits, she's under contract and it will go against her teaching license making it very difficult to find work elsewhere.  Not sure I really have any point to this story other than this is what we are dealing with.  Not only does it affect people who don't want it and can't receive vaccination (kids) but those kids are taking it home to their families and spreading it at home - who knows what precautions they take at home.  

I told my sister that we weren't raised to be sue-happy and go searching for free money, but holy hell man - this screams lawsuit in my eyes.  I don't know that they can 'prove' that more than half the class got it from this one student, but seriously - the writing is on the wall - some dumbass knew her kid was infected with it but negligently sent her kid to school anyway cause she "didn't want to deal with her kid for 7 hours out of the day".  

Just wow!!! 

Douchey indeed. So lame. The mother should be in jail.

Edited by Trojanmojo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Unfortunately some Mothers, especially single Mothers have no choice but to send their kids to school. It's a tough situation. 

Agree it is a tough situation, but dude - you can't be serious.  Put yourself in the shoes of the parents of the 12 other kids.  I can only assume (and hope) you're not a parent.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shorttynaz said:

Agree it is a tough situation, but dude - you can't be serious.  Put yourself in the shoes of the parents of the 12 other kids.  I can only assume (and hope) you're not a parent.  

No, it's definitely BS. And the Mother should be held accountable, especially if she knew. Do they have the option of E-learning there as well? 

14 hours ago, Shorttynaz said:

Just wow!!! 

Wow indeed, that is seriously (the really bad word)ed up. That mom is a real POS.

13 hours ago, rajncajn said:

Well, in truth, Florida isn't really banning masks in schools, or at least there's no teeth in the directive. It's more political fluff than anything. I have several relatives in Florida and schools are in fact wearing masks. As for your quote of Governor Reeves, don't quote someone if you don't actually know the quote. Reeves was talking about the change in the CDC guidance that vaccinated people should wear masks indoors. He said "The change in the CDC's mask guidance is foolish and harmful and it reeks of political panic to appear that they are in control," Reeves said. "It has nothing to do with rational science." Then he said, "In Mississippi, we believe in freedom." Of course that's all you get from the media so you don't know what he said after that last sentence. But at any rate, what you stated is a complete misrepresentation and typical of the idiocy that shows how disingenuous and divisive the media can be.

As for Louisiana, I wouldn't say they are the most safe. As I said, I've been there multiple times and it really looks no different than I've seen at home or in San Diego, where I've been twice already this year and about to go again. Just because Louisiana has JUST adopted new measures doesn't automatically make them better off. They haven't even implemented a lot of those measures yet.

I didn't say they are banning masks, they are banning the school systems from having a mask mandate. Which means its up the parents, and we know a significant portion (25-30% on the low end) don't think mask wearing is needed, works or is somehow anti-freedom. Contrast that with Gov DeWine who strongly urged mask mandates for schools. In the days since he made that request several schools have changed their policy, and added a mask mandate. I think DeWine would probably issue a statewide mask mandate for business at some point, but the extreme GOP members who control the legislature took that ability away after he used it frequently last year. 

I didn't specifically quote Gov Reeves and paraphrased, and I feel it was accurate. So he thinks the CDC isn't using science, good for him, what's his medical background to make that judgement. What has he or others provided to show the CDC isn't basing that on science? The virus is spreading, including by the vaccinated, something they did not expect. So now they are recommending mask wearing indoors for the vaccinated, especially if there is high levels of transmission. Then after telling us this isn't based on science he throws out the FREEDOM card. Sure sound like freedom over science to me, they ignore the science because they don't like it, they have nothing to refute it. Just like most of the other whacky stuff about it being no worse than the flu, a liberal hoax, vaccine is deadlier than the virus, etc. 

As I said hard to separate politics when you have a group in one party still following the Trump play book from 18 months ago. 

44 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I didn't say they are banning masks, they are banning the school systems from having a mask mandate. Which means its up the parents, and we know a significant portion (25-30% on the low end) don't think mask wearing is needed, works or is somehow anti-freedom. Contrast that with Gov DeWine who strongly urged mask mandates for schools. In the days since he made that request several schools have changed their policy, and added a mask mandate. I think DeWine would probably issue a statewide mask mandate for business at some point, but the extreme GOP members who control the legislature took that ability away after he used it frequently last year. 

I didn't specifically quote Gov Reeves and paraphrased, and I feel it was accurate. So he thinks the CDC isn't using science, good for him, what's his medical background to make that judgement. What has he or others provided to show the CDC isn't basing that on science? The virus is spreading, including by the vaccinated, something they did not expect. So now they are recommending mask wearing indoors for the vaccinated, especially if there is high levels of transmission. Then after telling us this isn't based on science he throws out the FREEDOM card. Sure sound like freedom over science to me, they ignore the science because they don't like it, they have nothing to refute it. Just like most of the other whacky stuff about it being no worse than the flu, a liberal hoax, vaccine is deadlier than the virus, etc. 

As I said hard to separate politics when you have a group in one party still following the Trump play book from 18 months ago. 

If you read what I posted,  I said the governor's directive has no teeth, so the school systems can still require masks if they wish and many have.

I don't necessarily agree with Reeves, but you are misrepresenting what he said. You're also making assumptions that he isn't following scientific research. If you care to look,  there actually is a lot of scientific evidence that masks are ineffective against the spread of covid. It doesn't help that the CDC research that they refer to is a bit suspect, using a lot of data from interviews rather than actual lab testing.

And he wasn't saying he believes in freedom over science. He said that he believes that the people should have the freedom to choose what is best for them without fear of repercussions,  bullying and shaming from others.

He also reiterated in his weekly press confers today that he suggests getting vaccinated and that he sees it as the best path forward right now.

As for the Trump playbook... It's hard to make rational decisions when you have the inability to separate politics from the real world. As I've stated before, Trump had been a proponent of the vaccine from day one and continues to be.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/03/16/trump-americans-covid-vaccine-476479

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

If you read what I posted,  I said the governor's directive has no teeth, so the school systems can still require masks if they wish and many have.

No you did not say that, you said

15 hours ago, rajncajn said:

Well, in truth, Florida isn't really banning masks in schools, or at least there's no teeth in the directive. It's more political fluff than anything. I have several relatives in Florida and schools are in fact wearing masks.

I take that as "kids in schools are wearing masks" maybe you meant to type "in fact mandating masks". I'll give you the benefit of the doubt instead of thinking you're intentionally misrepresented what was said (first you did that with my earlier post, which I pointed out in the post that you responded to)..

I do know that some FL schools have issued mask mandates, but I also know they face some potential punishment by the state for doing that. or maybe they're calling DeSantic bluff and he won't act. If it is a toothless law political posturing by DeSantis then shame on him, because that isn't needed. 

10 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

I don't necessarily agree with Reeves, but you are misrepresenting what he said. You're also making assumptions that he isn't following scientific research. If you care to look,  there actually is a lot of scientific evidence that masks are ineffective against the spread of covid. It doesn't help that the CDC research that they refer to is a bit suspect, using a lot of data from interviews rather than actual lab testing.

And he wasn't saying he believes in freedom over science. He said that he believes that the people should have the freedom to choose what is best for them without fear of repercussions,  bullying and shaming from others.

He also reiterated in his weekly press confers today that he suggests getting vaccinated and that he sees it as the best path forward right now.

As for the Trump playbook... It's hard to make rational decisions when you have the inability to separate politics from the real world. As I've stated before, Trump had been a proponent of the vaccine from day one and continues to be.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/03/16/trump-americans-covid-vaccine-476479

To the bolded above, what scientific evidence that masks are ineffective? You took the time to give me a link for the CDC and what you find "suspect" but not a link for this evidence.  When I search for that I find this,

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2021/04/22/did-so-called-stanford-nih-study-really-show-face-masks-are-ineffective-against-covid-19/?sh=454631013fd7

and other things that say "mask do offer some protection, primarily against the wearer spreading the virus if they have it, since it is carried on water droplets.  Yes less protection for the wearer, some including myself didn't get to begin with. But I understood if the majority of people wore masks we'd slow the spread, and we did and we had a lot less people sick with cold/flu too because of it. 

I'm glad that Gov. Reeves is recommending people get vaccinated, its a shame it took some this long to tell people that. Maybe he did from the beginning, but plenty in the GOP (or their supporters and conspiracy theorists) downplayed the virus, refused any form of lockdowns, and continue claim the vaccine is dangerous. 

As for Trump being a proponent of the vaccine, even the link you provided mentions how he was relatively silent for a long time, and how he took credit for fast tracking it, he really didn't do much. Sorry not buying Trump as some great advocate for getting the vaccine, when did he get the shot? Did he tell the public then, and recommend to his followers that they get it at that time? Nope. He did tell his CPAC friends that he got the shot, a couple months after he did, and of course made sure to try and take credit for it. 

Sorry but I am not buying what people are selling on Trump, maybe his supporters believe it. 

6 hours ago, stevegrab said:

No you did not say that, you said

I take that as "kids in schools are wearing masks" maybe you meant to type "in fact mandating masks". I'll give you the benefit of the doubt instead of thinking you're intentionally misrepresented what was said (first you did that with my earlier post, which I pointed out in the post that you responded to)..

I do know that some FL schools have issued mask mandates, but I also know they face some potential punishment by the state for doing that. or maybe they're calling DeSantic bluff and he won't act. If it is a toothless law political posturing by DeSantis then shame on him, because that isn't needed. 

To the bolded above, what scientific evidence that masks are ineffective? You took the time to give me a link for the CDC and what you find "suspect" but not a link for this evidence.  When I search for that I find this,

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2021/04/22/did-so-called-stanford-nih-study-really-show-face-masks-are-ineffective-against-covid-19/?sh=454631013fd7

and other things that say "mask do offer some protection, primarily against the wearer spreading the virus if they have it, since it is carried on water droplets.  Yes less protection for the wearer, some including myself didn't get to begin with. But I understood if the majority of people wore masks we'd slow the spread, and we did and we had a lot less people sick with cold/flu too because of it. 

I'm glad that Gov. Reeves is recommending people get vaccinated, its a shame it took some this long to tell people that. Maybe he did from the beginning, but plenty in the GOP (or their supporters and conspiracy theorists) downplayed the virus, refused any form of lockdowns, and continue claim the vaccine is dangerous. 

As for Trump being a proponent of the vaccine, even the link you provided mentions how he was relatively silent for a long time, and how he took credit for fast tracking it, he really didn't do much. Sorry not buying Trump as some great advocate for getting the vaccine, when did he get the shot? Did he tell the public then, and recommend to his followers that they get it at that time? Nope. He did tell his CPAC friends that he got the shot, a couple months after he did, and of course made sure to try and take credit for it. 

Sorry but I am not buying what people are selling on Trump, maybe his supporters believe it. 

Do your own homework and stop regurgitating political talking points. You want to know when Trump got his shot? Go look it up. You want to know when he advocated for the vaccine? Go look it up. You want to know when he pushed for its development? Go look it up. If you want to refute something I said, don't make me do the legwork for you. Go find the actual scientific studies on mask effectiveness rather than garbage the CDC has on their site about asking hairdressers their opinion and talking to a bunch of sailors on a navy ship.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/20/2021 at 5:51 PM, rajncajn said:

Do your own homework and stop regurgitating political talking points. You want to know when Trump got his shot? Go look it up. You want to know when he advocated for the vaccine? Go look it up. You want to know when he pushed for its development? Go look it up. If you want to refute something I said, don't make me do the legwork for you. Go find the actual scientific studies on mask effectiveness rather than garbage the CDC has on their site about asking hairdressers their opinion and talking to a bunch of sailors on a navy ship.

Way to completely skip over your false statements from the prior discussions. Don't even bother to acknowledge how you have mischaracterized this discussion. 

Yes do my own research, I have and it says masks are helpful. You don't believe that, so I guess the discussion is over.  

As for stopping to regurgitate political talking points, you mean like "Go find the actual scientific studies on mask effectiveness rather than garbage the CDC has on their site about asking hairdressers their opinion and talking to a bunch of sailors on a navy ship."  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, stevegrab said:

As for stopping to regurgitate political talking points

Can you imagine the heat if Trump was still in office though? It would somehow be all his fault. 

4 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Yes do my own research, I have and it says masks are helpful. You don't believe that, so I guess the discussion is over.  

Remember when only M95 masks worked, then we needed filters, then we needed charcoal filters, then eye protection, etc. Nobody knows Steve, the CDC screwed this up so bad it's not even funny. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Of course not. The hypocrites in here whip up on Beasley not Lamar Jackson or the numerous others (mostly blacks & African Americans) who don't want to get vaccinated. Beasley is an easy target, he's white. 

And he's been very vocal about it. Maybe I've just missed it but has Lamar been as obnoxious about it. 

Was an an Eagles concert last night, which was amazing, and Don Henley gets on the mic in between songs and thx everyone for doing their part and getting vaccinated. Then he puts it perfectly by saying, "With freedom comes great responsibility..." getting vaccinated, while being a choice, is showing respect for family, friends, neighbors and fellow concert goers.  We'll said Don and what a great message to send, unfortunately, he's was preaching to the choir as everyone there was vaxxed. 

Side note, Joe Walsh was hysterical when he came on the mic and said he had more fun performing when he was in his 20s, back in the 70s than being in his 70s now, in the 20s.  But hell we're still gonna give it a go and have some fun!

Edited by irish
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, irish said:

And he's been very vocal about it. Maybe I've just missed it but has Lamar been a obnoxious about it. 

But why should him being vocal about it change anything? The outcome is the same. Wouldn't you prefer him to be honest? I don't necessarily agree with him but I do think it's refreshing. I'd have more respectful for Lamar if he just came out and said he thinks it's all bullmanure. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, irish said:

And he's been very vocal about it. Maybe I've just missed it but has Lamar been a obnoxious about it. 

Was an an Eagles concert last night, which was amazing, and Don Henley gets on the mic in between songs and thx everyone for doing their part and getting vaccinated. Then he puts it perfectly by saying, "With freedom comes great responsibility..." getting vaccinated, while being a choice, is showing respect for family, friends, neighbors and fellow concert goers.  We'll said Don and what a great message to send, unfortunately, he's was preaching to the choir as everyone there was vaxxed. 

Side note, Joe Walsh was hysterical when he came on the mic and said he had more fun performing when he was in his 20s, back in the 70s than being in his 70s now, in the 20s.  But hell we're still gonna give it a go and have some fun!

Walsh was rarely sober performing in the old days :)