[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy schedule (changes?)

XFlash

In my main league (10-team keeper/IDP) we currently are keeping 13 weeks for regular season and playoffs/Super Bowl weeks 14-16.

Question is anyone changing their league schedules to accomodate the 18 week season?

I assuming 12 team or higher will.

I would like to here opinions as I have other leagues.

We are extending our regular season one week, and will have playoffs weeks 15-17, with no fantasy games played in week 18. For us it also allows every team to play every other team, with 3 divisions of 4 teams we played teams in division twice, and then 7 of the 8 remaining, now it will be all 8.

I hope people arguing against a playoff game in week 17 aren't saying "but they could rest their starters" because that would have applied to week 16 before now. 

I welcome the chance for one more week of regular season fantasy games to make the playoffs, keep all teams involved longer. 

For a 10 team leauge all conference/divsion play each other twice and out of conference/division once.

I would have to make sure the extra game is another out of conference division game.  I'm hedging that owners would complain that 4 of 5 would get an extra conference/division game and one left out.

We have standings for playoffs based on conference/division records.  1 team being left out would be an issue.

11 hours ago, Shaft said:

This is a good topic for discussion. All of my leagues are accommodating the 18 week schedule, but I see benefits to keeping it the way it was. 

Agree. We are discussing that now but we'll probably keep it the same. I'd like to have our Fantasy playoffs when NFL games are still meaningful. This way you don't have to worry about guys sitting, etc. 

The way the playoffs are structured now (7 teams per conference, only top seed gets a bye) I think it is even less likely that teams will sit starters. Its always possible though, even with 2 or 3 games left. And if 2nd to last game was a concern, that meant a title game in week 15, which could now move to week 16 and be just as safe from starters sitting. 

On 8/16/2021 at 3:48 PM, stevegrab said:

We are extending our regular season one week, and will have playoffs weeks 15-17, with no fantasy games played in week 18. For us it also allows every team to play every other team, with 3 divisions of 4 teams we played teams in division twice, and then 7 of the 8 remaining, now it will be all 8.

I hope people arguing against a playoff game in week 17 aren't saying "but they could rest their starters" because that would have applied to week 16 before now. 

I welcome the chance for one more week of regular season fantasy games to make the playoffs, keep all teams involved longer. 

We are doing the same as this, worked out perfectly as we always "missed" one team, now we will play every team and division teams 2x.  If players rest late......manage your team, no different than a late injury.

Don't be the dweeb Commish who starts their playoffs in Week 14 this year, with four NFL teams on a bye that week.

If you need to add a week to your schedule, but don't want to have one odd opponent, just add a "Play All" week (usually in Week 1), where the top half of the league in scoring gets a win, and the bottom half gets a loss.

On 8/18/2021 at 2:22 PM, AxeElf said:

Don't be the dweeb Commish who starts their playoffs in Week 14 this year, with four NFL teams on a bye that week.

If you need to add a week to your schedule, but don't want to have one odd opponent, just add a "Play All" week (usually in Week 1), where the top half of the league in scoring gets a win, and the bottom half gets a loss.

This one counts. Why would you want to play a playoff game with NFL teams on a bye?

Good points on 10 man leagues, but in a 12 man with three divisions, everyone can play division opponents twice and every non division opponents once.

For this year, my three 12-team leagues are maintaining a 14 week regular season followed by 2 weeks of championship and consolation bracket playoffs.  THe three leagues will each crown their champion in week 16.  That leaves weeks 17 & 18.  Here's what we decided to do: 

We bumped up the entry fee from $150 to $200.  Most of the extra $1,800 ($50 x 36) is being used for interleague contests among members of my 3 leagues (all on same platform) for weeks 17 & 18.    It's like 2 extra weeks of fantasy that is independent of the 16 week regular season and championships.   For those 2 weeks we are thinking that the 12 teams who finished 1st - 4th will compete against each other for $1,000 .  5th through 8th, will play for $400.  9th -12th will play for $200.  Haven't figured it all out yet, but the plan is to keep everyone involved for all 18 weeks with the main phase ending in week 16 and then the extras in weeks 17 & 18.  

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 4:31 PM, XFlash said:

In my main league (10-team keeper/IDP) we currently are keeping 13 weeks for regular season and playoffs/Super Bowl weeks 14-16.

Question is anyone changing their league schedules to accomodate the 18 week season?

I assuming 12 team or higher will.

I would like to here opinions as I have other leagues.

Your biggest issue is your going to have 4 teams on bye week 14 which is not needed.  Just move to a 14 game schedule with playoffs weeks 15-17.

Your really going to be crushing some teams that make the playoffs who have guys on bye using week 14 as a playoff week.

I do not understand why anyone would not want to push the season into week 17 now that there are 18 weeks to the year.  Yes a team could end up resting some guys for 2 weeks but that could have happened in a 17 week season for weeks 16 before and almost never happened so this should change nothing.

Someone is going to be pretty pissed if they have Taylor and make the playoffs and he is on bye week 14

• Like 1

I have two 10 man leagues I run.  One dynasty one redraft.  For dynasty we have the two 1st place teams from last year play each other twice, 2nd plays 2nd, and so forth.  was this way for many years when I used to play week 17 from 1997 to 2009 before I stopped that.  Just going back to same schedule I used to use.

Same for my redraft you play last years 1st place teams twice, 2nd place teams twice ect.

Another option which I don't use for my leagues but is used in high stakes leagues is have an all play week for week 1 or week 14.  No H2H but the top 5 scores get a win bottom 5 get a loss.  I would never use that in my locals myself but high stakes world uses it.

2 hours ago, Henry Muto said:

Your biggest issue is your going to have 4 teams on bye week 14 which is not needed.  Just move to a 14 game schedule with playoffs weeks 15-17.

Your really going to be crushing some teams that make the playoffs who have guys on bye using week 14 as a playoff week.

I do not understand why anyone would not want to push the season into week 17 now that there are 18 weeks to the year.  Yes a team could end up resting some guys for 2 weeks but that could have happened in a 17 week season for weeks 16 before and almost never happened so this should change nothing.

Someone is going to be pretty pissed if they have Taylor and make the playoffs and he is on bye week 14

I could understand week 14 bye, but there are teams on byes for each week up to week 16 so there will be some teams that will have players on bye during Fantasy Playoffs.

Not sure if that is a strong enough argument against not having an extended regular Fantasy season.

I currently have a poll for my league to find out the majority to increase or keep same.  If increasing the teams play another out of conference game.

2 hours ago, XFlash said:

I could understand week 14 bye, but there are teams on byes for each week up to week 16 so there will be some teams that will have players on bye during Fantasy Playoffs.

Not sure if that is a strong enough argument against not having an extended regular Fantasy season.

I currently have a poll for my league to find out the majority to increase or keep same.  If increasing the teams play another out of conference game.

Which teams have a bye in weeks 15 and 16?

On 8/21/2021 at 11:35 PM, MikesVikes said:

Which teams have a bye in weeks 15 and 16?

My mistake.

I was looking at the bottom of each page on ESPN weekly schedule and mistook the MNF matchup for bye week. :bag:

Week 14 is 

BYE
ind.png&h=50
Indianapolis
mia.png&h=50
Miami
ne.png&h=50
New England
phi.png&h=50
Philadelphia

On 8/21/2021 at 10:14 AM, loaf said:

Does anyone have a schedule I can copy for a 10 teamer/2 divisions that would play a 14 week season with playoffs 15-17?

Oh that is not easy, assuming you play each team in division twice that is 8 games, leaving 6 to play against the other division, so one matchup needs to be repeated. Before this years change we would play all but one team outside our division, and I believe that was just assigned randomly. We also reset our divisions each year based on finishing order (e.g. div 1 is 1st, 6th, 7th and 12th place), so who we play and when changes frequently. 

If you can figure out how to pick which teams matchup twice, I'd play 3 non-div games, then 4 div, 3 non div, and finish with 4 div. Would be nice if at least one of the two non-div games that repeats is a week without byes, so that game is contested at full strength. 

I hear people talk about the all play a lot, that would be another option. Not sure how that is handled by the fantasy league software though, with one week having game results based on top x scores vs. a H2H matchup.

• Like 1

Did I mention that I also run a 10 man league? The league has varied in numbers but last year we had 10. Our schedule this year will be play division opponents twice and non-division opponents each exactly once. (four playoff weeks.) First playoff week is like a play in game with two match ups. Then the next three weeks the remaining eight teams finish it off.

Edited by MikesVikes
  • Like 1