[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Watson news - won't face criminal charges

darin3

One thing on Watson and his potential suspension, not sure why some people in the media make it sound like there's a low chance of a decision before training camp starts. Take this story for example

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2022/07/14/jimmy-garoppolo-rumors-browns-deshaun-watson/

"Post-hearing briefs were due to former Judge Sue Robinson on Tuesday, However, the timeline for a final ruling on Watson’s suspension is unknown.  It was expected that a result would be before training camp, that still could be the case but seems less likely with every day that goes by without a decision."

The bolded is stupid, once this process started, with the hearing and briefs being required to be filed this week, there was no way a decision was coming until at least later this week. Anybody who was expecting a decision in the past 2 weeks was just plain stupid. (Sure they may have negotiated some kind of agreement and skipped the trial, but that was never in the plans, nor likely as the two sides were far apart in what they thought was a fair suspension.)

There is still about 2 weeks before training camp starts, a decision this week or early next would be in the expected time frame. There is some other good info in the linked article, both regarding Jimmy G and his contract situation (the salary could be renegotiated, SF may even take a portion of his salary to get a pick in a trade, etc) but also about how Watson being suspended a year could have major impact on the Browns 2023 cap numbers (since Watson's contract would be pushed out [tolled] one year and his small $1M salary would be the cap hit in 2023, not $50+M).

33 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I wonder where the other 4 (6) defendants came from.

20 have settled with Watson  4 (or 6) ongoing,  how did they get to 30?

"That there were 30 women who settled claims against the Texans compared with only 24 who sued Watson potentially indicates that more women who file suits against Watson in the future. The six additional women have not been identified and Buzbee declined to share any details about their claims."

It makes me wonder if these 6 are being held out as leverage. The other lawsuits have been declared, but if Watson wants to make these go away he will need to pay up. Adding another 6 to the pile is not going to be good news for Watson. 

15 hours ago, millworkguy said:

Kay cabot wrote something similar a few days ago, I didn't post it as @stevegrab who  is a local says she isn't a reliable source

Its easy to report that the Browns are looking at signing another QB, because it simply makes sense. Doesn't mean it is that likely to happen, or that the Browns will do so before knowing if Watson is out the whole season or not. 

PS  I haven't liked Mary Kay and think her reporting is not reliable or at least not "breaking news" long before the Browns drafted Mayfield and Snooki started his trolling campaigns. 

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

PS  I haven't liked Mary Kay and think her reporting is not reliable or at least not "breaking news" long before the Browns drafted Mayfield and Snooki started his trolling campaigns

That's very sexist Steven. She happens to be a very well respected reporter. She was dead on with all of her Baker Mayfield reports which you refuted at the time. 

Saw tis on the huddle news, not sure that is going to help the situation. I also wonder if the punishment is light (8-10 games or less), is there any chance that the NFL accepts that? Or does Goodell just drop the hammer and say "nope not enough, and you have me final say....".    I see a couple articles with more info, and one mentions that NFLPA would be part of this lawsuit. An article on The Hill also says that the NFL would only appeal the decision if there is no punishment. Somehow that seems unlikely that they'll accept whatever is decided by the arbiter. 

Cleveland Browns QB Deshaun Watson and his legal team have reportedly already made the decision to file a lawsuit against the NFL in federal court if he is handed a full-year suspension, according to Yahoo! Sports' Charles Robinson. Also per Charles Robinson, sources have suggested to him that arbitrator Sue Robinson may be taking her time with a decision in order to give the NFL and Watson another shot at settling.

57 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Saw tis on the huddle news, not sure that is going to help the situation. I also wonder if the punishment is light (8-10 games or less), is there any chance that the NFL accepts that? Or does Goodell just drop the hammer and say "nope not enough, and you have me final say....".    I see a couple articles with more info, and one mentions that NFLPA would be part of this lawsuit. An article on The Hill also says that the NFL would only appeal the decision if there is no punishment. Somehow that seems unlikely that they'll accept whatever is decided by the arbiter. 

I would not be shocked to see 8-10 games either. Or a year long suspension. I would be surprised at 6. That just seems too low. He certainly has run afoul of whatever personal conduct policies there are but has not been criminally charged, in fact charges have been looked at and declined, so this is all fairly subjective for everybody. 8-10 is a substantial penalty and still allows him to return this year. He still has civil lawsuits against him by 4 women early next year, so those should be resolved before the beginning of next season, with a possible future suspension. It seemed given the sheer numbers, the reported "ejaculation" and possibly physically coerciveness to a degree, the cases still in limbo that 1 year would be simplest, easiest way of shoving this decision to next year, but 8-10 seems plausible too.

I guess when I say "substantial" I mean mainly for the Browns. Watson still is going to a be a mega bajillionaire if he manages to play out this contract, so I don't think he is hurting too bad other than reputation. 

Edited by purplemonster

Its an odd situation because no matter what arbiter Sue Robinson decides there could be a substantial next step that complicates the outcome. If the length is too short Goodell says "hell no it will be a full season" and if its too long Watson and his camp sue the NFL, which might result in the suspension being put aside pending litigation. 

I keep hearing that one reason the decision by Robinson could be on hold is to give the two sides a chance to reach a deal. That seems unlikely with them being so far apart and both poised to retaliate if they don't get what they want. 

Training camp opens in about a week, if Watson is going to miss the season and the Browns are serious about adding another QB to start instead of relying on Brissett, they will want that QB in camp soon.  

As a Browns fan I am already sick of this whole thing, and the season is still almost 2 months away. Please spare me the "he's an elite QB and once all the dust settles the Browns will be serious contenders" stuff. That is still a pipe dream, because he could potentially miss a full season or more. Even if he can keep out of future trouble. 

4 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Its an odd situation because no matter what arbiter Sue Robinson decides there could be a substantial next step that complicates the outcome. If the length is too short Goodell says "hell no it will be a full season" and if its too long Watson and his camp sue the NFL, which might result in the suspension being put aside pending litigation. 

I keep hearing that one reason the decision by Robinson could be on hold is to give the two sides a chance to reach a deal. 

I think many people are surprised that the decision is taking a while, but we have a retired judge making the decision,  and not Goodall (who likely went into many previous decisions already knowing what he was going to rule, regardless of what was said)

I think she is actually doing her job, researching previous league decisions, and rereading what was said and done and coming up with her own decision. 

Regarding Watson and the nflpa suing the league over his suspension, Watson’s contract was written to endure a suspension this season, if they appeal and start the season with him o  the roster, and then lose in court to find him suspended all of next season, he will have cost himself 42 million dollars (43 million salary next season,  1 million this yr)  I think that's a bluff and an attempt to find a settlement. 

Also,  if he wants to appeal,  I think he has to exhaust the collective agreement first.  Before being able to sue.   So appeal to Goodall,  lose again,  then be able to sue 

Edited by millworkguy

The story the other day about Watson's side suing the NFL if the suspension is long, may not be entirely accurate. Local news yesterday reported that Watson's attorney said they have no such plan in place. But he said the NFLPA legal team may be heading that way, he isn't involved and doesn't know. 

Like they said on the news last night, this is getting old, we're just rehashing the same bits of info over and over. Some expect a decision soon, a DJ on the radio yesterday said one was coming this week, before the Browns open training camp next week. But nobody from the NFL has set a timeline for a decision. They are not going to do it now just because the Browns need to know so they can plan for the season. (Honestly no reason they should cater to the Browns who put themselves in this crappy situation.)

A decision will come at some point, and both sides would have the right to appeal, but considering who rules on the appeal I don't see any chance that Watson would appeal the decision. Some say that Goodell won't either, unless its really low (but then anything less than a year seems to be below what he wanted). Because he wants to show the new setup with an neutral arbiter selected by NFL & NFLPA is fair and will work going forward. 

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, loaf said:

6 game suspension

That's actually a great outcome for him and the Brownies.