[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Watson news - won't face criminal charges

darin3

I read an article a while back that suggested that buzbee wanted the nda as he is fronting all the costs of the suits, so his fees could be a majority of the settlement amount for a majority of the women. 

I've head stories from people around me, who talk about typical fees of 30-40% but if you choose the deferred payment option (no payments unless you win) thise fees can go to 75-80% 

7 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I'm not sure if Buzbee said the other 4 are not willing to settle and will definitely proceed to trial or not. But some media following the story believe they are still negotiating and could settle in the near future. 

Buzbee statement(which could just be lawyer speak):

As stated, Ashley Solis is one of the heroes of this story. Her case has not settled and thus her story and that of the other three brave women will continue. I look forward to trying these cases in due course, consistent with other docket obligations and the court’s schedule.”

4 hours ago, darin3 said:

That's a good question.  Part of me says "more money", but who knows. What a mess.

I inherited a team with him on the roster and I sorta feel dirty :lol:  

I added him late last season as a potential stash for a keeper or even a trade. I also have Russell Wilson, and will hope he still has good value. I will root for my Browns, but not Watson specifically (unless there is real evidence he is innocent). 

27 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

Buzbee statement(which could just be lawyer speak):

As stated, Ashley Solis is one of the heroes of this story. Her case has not settled and thus her story and that of the other three brave women will continue. I look forward to trying these cases in due course, consistent with other docket obligations and the court’s schedule.”

Yes I head that statement, as you said lawyer speak, like sports teams saying they have no plans to trade a guy just hours before a trade is announced. 

Like I said, considering how much Watson seemed against settling, it is just odd that it happened like this. Local media had some attorney on the news to explain, I hope they didn't pay for her info as she said "any time a settlement offer is made the attorney talks with their client, they must have decided these are good offers and accepted them."   No way really, brilliant stuff there...

Aaron Wilson of PFF is reporting 

“Meanwhile, the Browns are awaiting a lengthy suspension for Watson. There is concern from the NFL Players Association that the league will look to suspend the former Clemson standout for the entire 2022 season, if not indefinitely, according to sources. Should that happen, the Browns are expected to go forward with Jacoby Brissett rather than try to reconcile with Mayfield.”

1 hour ago, millworkguy said:

“Meanwhile, the Browns are awaiting a lengthy suspension for Watson. There is concern from the NFL Players Association that the league will look to suspend the former Clemson standout for the entire 2022 season, if not indefinitely, according to sources. Should that happen, the Browns are expected to go forward with Jacoby Brissett rather than try to reconcile with Mayfield.”

according to sources: WSJ

16 hours ago, millworkguy said:

There is zero chance they will reconcile with Baker, that bridge was torched already. If Watson is suspended a full season they may shop for another decent option to backup Brissett, but not sure who that could be. 

57 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

There is zero chance they will reconcile with Baker, that bridge was torched already. If Watson is suspended a full season they may shop for another decent option to backup Brissett, but not sure who that could be. 

The chatter isn't that Watson is suspended a full season, it's that he is suspended a minimum of a full season, and at this time told he is suspended indefinitely (both from my post and big John's) - possibly multiple seasons.

2 hours ago, millworkguy said:

I don't think it's been asked yet, but if Watson saw 66 massage therapists, how many actually signed his nda (and therefore may not be able to speak up,  without fear of repercussions)

Good question. I would think now that he settled many cases you'll see even more alleged victims come out. The money is flowing now. 

On 6/26/2022 at 10:14 AM, millworkguy said:

The chatter isn't that Watson is suspended a full season, it's that he is suspended a minimum of a full season, and at this time told he is suspended indefinitely (both from my post and big John's) - possibly multiple seasons.

There is lots of chatter, not sure that any of it is really trustworthy. Yes it could be a full season, or more, or an indefinite ban. It could also be less, and recent developments of having settled with a majority of his accusers and also doing counseling means that Watson is at least appearing to show he understands he did something wrong and needs to change. 

On 6/26/2022 at 10:28 AM, millworkguy said:

I don't think it's been asked yet, but if Watson saw 66 massage therapists, how many actually signed his nda (and therefore may not be able to speak up,  without fear of repercussions)

Don't forget that about 15 of the women who had given him massages came forth initially and said he did nothing wrong. If we assume those are a portion of the 66, and 24 have already accused him that leaves another 25+ or so that haven't spoken one way or another. 

With the disciplinary hearing now scheduled we should know something more soon, but it could also still take several weeks. Obviously the Browns want to know sooner.

The circus isn't over yet, I'm just hoping as a Browns fan (who really didn't want this to begin with), that it isn't as bad as it could have been and set them back years. But I'm also a realist and prepared for that to happen. 

PS  Regarding Jimmy G, is he really that much better than Mayfield? Certainly not somebody you're going to chase and make the face of your franchise if making a change. I wish they had not decided to jettison Baker, actually wish they had handled the injury better last year, let him sit and heal, and used their backup for a few winnable games. They're making a knee jerk reaction to a bad season that they allowed to happen. I think the owner is an idiot, and even if the GM and coach are good things will not end well (full reboot in next 2-3 years). 

7 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

PS  Regarding Jimmy G, is he really that much better than Mayfield

I'd say yes but not significantly better. I think he's won 5 playoff games and almost won a Superbowl before he choked like a dog. I do think Mayfield can revive his career but he needs to go to a team where there's little to no expectations. He needs a fresh start. 

2 hours ago, Anonymouse said:

what does this mean? and can Cleaveland un-do the trade and get their picks back?

It means Houston better have thier head on a swivel and -LOL no. Buyer beware. Some monies would be in question I would asume.

38 minutes ago, boltnlava said:

It means Houston better have thier head on a swivel and -LOL no. Buyer beware. Some monies would be in question I would asume.

There could be an interesting point about how much Houston knew and when, but end of the day I assume the deal can't be undone. 

15 hours ago, millworkguy said:

There could be an interesting point about how much Houston knew and when, but end of the day I assume the deal can't be undone. 

I agree, don't see any way the Browns get out from under this. There was some talk earlier that maybe Watson had withheld information from them after saying "this is all there is, nothing more". But that seems to be a reach at this point. (Besides Browns trying to get out of this would be them admitting they screwed up, which i don't see happening.) 

The original WSJ article (not sure I ever read it fully) from a few days ago about the NFL asking for an indefinite suspension (at least one year) is being more heavily reported, with multiple local sources talking about it yesterday with the disciplinary hearing coming today. Not sure that the Browns or NFLPA will have much chance of convincing the NFL Disciplinary Officer (former Judge Sue Robinson) it should be less. And if they appeal it goes to Goodell, who then has final say and isn't going to decide in their favor. And if the NFL wants more punishment, they could also appeal and let Goodell handle it. (What a stupid appeals process, where one side has complete control of the outcome, not sure why the NFLPA allowed that.) 

Interesting tidbit in the article below, the NFL is required to inform the player and NFLPA of their recommended punishment no less than 10 days before the disciplinary hearing. And that is when PFT's Mike Florio came out with a story about how the NFLPA was going to fight it and use the angle of owners who did similar things and were not punished. 

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/06/nfl-has-informed-deshaun-watson-the-union-and-the-disciplinary-officer-it-recommends-an-indefinite-suspension-of-at-least-a-year.html

4 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I agree, don't see any way the Browns get out from under this. There was some talk earlier that maybe Watson had withheld information from them after saying "this is all there is, nothing more". But that seems to be a reach at this point. (Besides Browns trying to get out of this would be them admitting they screwed up, which i don't see happening.) 

Interesting tidbit in the article below, the NFL is required to inform the player and NFLPA of their recommended punishment no less than 10 days before the disciplinary hearing. And that is when PFT's Mike Florio came out with a story about how the NFLPA was going to fight it and use the angle of owners who did similar things and were not punished. 

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/06/nfl-has-informed-deshaun-watson-the-union-and-the-disciplinary-officer-it-recommends-an-indefinite-suspension-of-at-least-a-year.html

I think the browns have an out if they want to void Watson’s contract,  but then they have no Watson or picks, so like you I don't see that happening (with what we know right now)

To the 2nd point,  I see the argument,  but if you frame the punishment per incident,  it opens up Watson to a 48 game suspension (from the 2 games per incident that big ben got) and 24 times the punishment of any management/owner.

I'm looking forward to this issue being done with.  Whether he plays or they take him out back and shoot him I don't care.  Obviously the guy has problems with social mores, I can't see why Cleveland took that risk.  They make a lot of bad decisions, so at least now they're all in good company.

2 hours ago, League_Champion said:

I'm told the NFL inisted on an indefinite suspension while Deshaun Watson's legal team argued there's no basis for that punishment. The hearing will continue on Wednesday in Delaware and Watson is expected to be present for the duration. Story upcoming. #NFL #Browns

As Goodall really has the final say (if the ruling is appealed) I'd say indefinite suspension or multiple year suspension will be the outcome.

It may yet be 3 seasons between football passes for him

15 hours ago, millworkguy said:

As Goodall really has the final say (if the ruling is appealed) I'd say indefinite suspension or multiple year suspension will be the outcome.

It may yet be 3 seasons between football passes for him

The hearing is not over, there is lots of testimony to be head, then each of the 3 parties (NFL, NFLPA, Watson) will need to submit written briefs on their reasoning for/against whatever punishment. Then the person takes time to review all that and make a decision, speculation is that is a couple weeks away. Goodell only has final say if one of the sides appeals. So lets say the league proposes a full season, but NFLPA/Watson convince the "judge" to make it less, like maybe half a season. Sure the NFL could appeal, and let Goodell drop the hammer. I don't think that is a certainty. 

This recent bit of news posted here on The Huddle in player news disagrees that it will be at least a full season, or that the NFL would not accept anything less. .

https://tools.thehuddle.com/player/11208/deshaun-watson

"Cleveland Browns QB Deshaun Watson could be subject to a six-to-eight-game suspension, according to a source. The NFL wants to avoid the appeals process and could be satisfied with the reduced ban."