[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, ending 50 years of federal abortion rights

League_Champion

Just one example of the horrible actions by folks in the "Pro-Life" camp, Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost claims there is no evidence a 10 year old Columbus Ohio girl was raped and became pregnant, which required her to go to another state (Indianapolis) for an abortion. He even claims that Ohio has an exemption for that, but it doesn't (see end of post). He claims he knows the cops and prosecutors in Ohio and never heard about this. Police knew about this incident about 3 weeks ago. The rapist confessed and was just charged recently, and of course then Yost makes a statement about how horrible it is, and how he feels bad for the girl and thanks law enforcement for their work. But doesn't apologize for slandering her and others who reported her need to go somewhere for an abortion. Just another FAKE NEWS moron. I wish there was a better chance he'd be tossed out in November, DeWine isn't that bad but too many of the others are heading to the far right. 

https://news.yahoo.com/shameful-dave-yost-jumped-mud-102906492.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Media/News-Releases/July-2022/AG-Yost’s-Statement-on-Arrest-of-Man-Who-Raped-10

Ohio's heartbeat bill means no abortion after about 6 weeks, women may not know they are pregnant yet. And this poor girl was dealing with the whole rape. The only exemption in Ohio is if for a medical emergency, "serious risk of the substantial and irreversible impairment of a major bodily function of the pregnant woman.". So Yost was full of manure with his talk of an exception, maybe he thought he could decide when it was OK, and use his own morals.

• Thanks 1

I'm not at all an abortion nut, I feel like I'm somewhere in the middle  I agree that some of these abortion laws are criminal. I get abortion for rape, incest and medical reasons but under normal circumstances when is a baby a baby? Should the cutoff be 4 months, 6 months? I'm pretty sure you know you're pregnant after missing a cycle or two. I've held my kids at birth and I don't care what anyone says, that's a life, and my Daughter was early. I'm curious to what others think. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

I'm not at all an abortion nut, I feel like I'm somewhere in the middle  I agree that some of these abortion laws are criminal. I get abortion for rape, incest and medical reasons but under normal circumstances when is a baby a baby? Should the cutoff be 4 months, 6 months? I'm pretty sure you know you're pregnant after missing a cycle or two. I've held my kids at birth and I don't care what anyone says, that's a life, and my Daughter was early. I'm curious to what others think. 

Medically, most feel that the change occurs in the 2nd trimester, which is why 3rd trimester abortions were illegal in many states and also considered by many to be barbaric.  I saw a late 2nd trimester abortion and decided not to be present for any more, which is the one time you have the option to say no in medical school.  The procedure was literally chewing up the fetus in utero and then sucking out body parts.  I honestly don't know how someone goes into medicine and is capable of doing that.  But then, the OB/GYN residents were all very clearly feminazis.

As for Yost, he's a POS.  But he's a politician in OH so that's pretty much a given.  I hope he faces criticism for his ingorance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 1fastdoc said:

I saw a late 2nd trimester abortion and decided not to be present for any more, which is the one time you have the option to say no in medical school.  The procedure was literally chewing up the fetus in utero and then sucking out body parts.  I honestly don't know how someone goes into medicine and is capable of doing that.  But then, the OB/GYN residents were all very clearly feminazis

I've seen a lot of gruesome injuries and deaths over the years but I couldn't handle that, at all. 

10 minutes ago, 1fastdoc said:

Medically, most feel that the change occurs in the 2nd trimester, which is why 3rd trimester abortions were illegal in many states and also considered by many to be barbaric.  I saw a late 2nd trimester abortion and decided not to be present for any more, which is the one time you have the option to say no in medical school.  The procedure was literally chewing up the fetus in utero and then sucking out body parts.  I honestly don't know how someone goes into medicine and is capable of doing that.  But then, the OB/GYN residents were all very clearly feminazis.

As for Yost, he's a POS.  But he's a politician in OH so that's pretty much a given.  I hope he faces criticism for his ingorance. 

Even one full trimester would be much longer than the heartbeat bills. Sure most women will know they're pregnant before that, but when you're a 10 year old girl also dealing with rape surely I can see that being less likely. Well I guess screw her say he GOP pro birth folks. 

Yost will face criticism, but not from his own party, or most of the GOP, this is what they want, virtually no access to abortion. Rather make sure nobody has one, than allow them in reasonable situations (first trimester, and exceptions for rape/incest and medical emergency). 

6 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Even one full trimester would be much longer than the heartbeat bills. Sure most women will know they're pregnant before that, but when you're a 10 year old girl also dealing with rape surely I can see that being less likely. Well I guess screw her say he GOP pro birth folks. 

Yost will face criticism, but not from his own party, or most of the GOP, this is what they want, virtually no access to abortion. Rather make sure nobody has one, than allow them in reasonable situations (first trimester, and exceptions for rape/incest and medical emergency). 

In Steve's abortion bill, a perfectly healthy 30 year old Jennifer goes out one night, has a little fun and gets knocked up by Bobby Bottle Service. What's the cutoff on how long she can wait to get an abortion? 

Now the Indiana AG is investigating the doctor who did the procedure, because apparently he just assumes she broke the law.....or they're twisting it into an illegal immigration issue (the rapist)....I guess being raped by an American citizen would make it all better, but still no legal abortion option for this poor 10 year old victim.

What a bunch of heartless scum bags. How do people with any compassion support such crap.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/indiana-gop-attorney-general-to-probe-doctor-who-provided-abortion-to-10-year-old/ar-AAZzefa?cvid=d9fd19bc1adb46dda55b8dd98bed9054

"Republicans, however, have seized on the child’s ordeal as evidence more restrictions are needed to rein in abortion access. Rokita said his office would be looking into Bernard’s conduct, and focused more on what he called an “abortion activist acting as a doctor” than on the accused child rapist."

Nope, nobody is trying to outlaw abortion entirely, that's all just more fake news.....

26 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Now the Indiana AG is investigating the doctor who did the procedure, because apparently he just assumes she broke the law.....or they're twisting it into an illegal immigration issue (the rapist)....I guess being raped by an American citizen would make it all better, but still no legal abortion option for this poor 10 year old victim.

Welcome new to new Right Wing Fundamentalist Christian America.  This is just the beginning for an entire generation minimum, sad to say. 

Edited by Bobby Brown

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

That's sad. It was probably incest of sorts which is why it wasn't reported and they ran to another State. That's definitely a righteous abortion but there does need to be an investigation into why/how a 10 year old was raped and impregnated. It's unimaginable. 

You seemed to have some sensible comments in this and prior posts...then you're off on tangents 

Incest?  Have you read a single thing about this story? Nothing about incest, just rape. 

What investigation, he confessed. He raped her twice. Are you thinking somebody was negligent? Or intentionally allowed this? Is it something about his being here illegally,  

She went to another state because she could not legally an abortion in Ohio because are laws are (the really bad word)ing stupid. 

4 hours ago, stevegrab said:

You seemed to have some sensible comments in this and prior posts...then you're off on tangents 

Incest?  Have you read a single thing about this story? Nothing about incest, just rape. 

What investigation, he confessed. He raped her twice. Are you thinking somebody was negligent? Or intentionally allowed this? Is it something about his being here illegally,  

She went to another state because she could not legally an abortion in Ohio because are laws are (the really bad word)ing stupid. 

You find something you both agree on and you still find a way to argue.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, 1fastdoc said:

lol. that was my first thought too

We agreed on some basics, then he went off the right wing cliff as usual. He sounds like our disgusting GOP politicians Dave Yost (Ohio AG) and Jim Jordan (US Rep) who said the story was fake, and then just delete their lies and deflect any questions about their actions. 

• 10 months later...

If circumstances ever made you aware that you likely or almost certainly would have been aborted had abortion been as accessible as it was just a few years ago, do you think that it might affect your stance on abortion?

You're suddenly faced with the question of your very existence,  the existence of your children and their children. The life you've made with your spouse, friends and family would never be. Does anyone even ever consider that their own existence could very well have hinged only on accessibility?

14 minutes ago, Big John said:

Yes, I often wish I wasn't born.

I feel for you John and I have great empathy for your struggle. However, there are an awful lot of folks,  myself included,  who are very much thankful that you were.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 12:49 PM, Big John said:

Yes, I often wish I wasn't born.

My man, I know the struggle is great, but for you to wish you were never born has me greatly concerned about where you are mentally.  You're a brilliant guy and have made a positive impression on so many.  I wish that you could have some peace of mind soon. Feel free to reach out if you need to chat.

On 6/17/2023 at 9:14 PM, irish said:

My man, I know the struggle is great, but for you to wish you were never born has me greatly concerned about where you are mentally.  You're a brilliant guy and have made a positive impression on so many.  I wish that you could have some peace of mind soon. Feel free to reach out if you need to chat.

A good friend of mine (worked together and socialized for 2 decades) suffers from mental health issues and it has been a very enlightening thing for me. Hopefully those who suffer have a place to turn that they trust. 

As to rajn's question, first my parents would have never considered abortion, they were very much opposed based on their religion and upbringing (both were born in the 1920s in Eastern Europe). But even if I thought they might have chosen not to have me, yes I would still have wanted them to have that option. (I was born in 1964, before Roe v Wade.) 

5 hours ago, stevegrab said:

As to rajn's question, first my parents would have never considered abortion, they were very much opposed based on their religion and upbringing (both were born in the 1920s in Eastern Europe). But even if I thought they might have chosen not to have me, yes I would still have wanted them to have that option. (I was born in 1964, before Roe v Wade.) 

That didn't really answer the question I had. Look at it this way. Say your mother had an affair and became pregnant from that affair. Circumstamces were such that everyone would know that it wasnt his. Do you think she would have aborted you to keep your father and everyone else from finding out if abortions in their time were as easily obtainable as they were prior to overturning RVW?

Now imagine you find out today that your mother did have an affair and she had you at risk of people finding out, but ONLY because she couldn't get an abortion back then. Do you think that would change how you feel about why and when someone can have an abortion? Im effectively saying, the ONLY reason you or your own children even exist is because abortion just wasn't available then.

Edited by rajncajn

28 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

That didn't really answer the question I had. Look at it this way. Say your mother had an affair and became pregnant from that affair. Circumstamces were such that everyone would know that it wasnt his. Do you think she would have aborted you to keep your father and everyone else from finding out if abortions in their time were as easily obtainable as they were prior to overturning RVW?

Now imagine you find out today that your mother did have an affair and she had you at risk of people finding out, but ONLY because she couldn't get an abortion back then. Do you think that would change how you feel about why and when someone can have an abortion? Im effectively saying, the ONLY reason you or your own children even exist is because abortion just wasn't available then.

Separate from this questioning, do you think all women should have the right to choose and have access to getting an abortion?   If you answered this before and I missed it (just cause I didn't read every post), sorry. 

Edited by irish

33 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

How about you give us your answer to your own hypothetical question. 

I don't think my mother ever would have considered abortion, legal or not. Not sure what else I can tell you. Or really where you're going with this line of though (well I have an idea...)  

I am the 7th child in my family, and my mother had at least one miscarriage. Maybe if one of those survived I'm not conceived. Heck my mom was pregnant at 40 in the mid 60s, far from common then, so it was probably considered risky. 

This is kind of like asking "what would you do if you were in this situation" and honestly my view is "don't know until it happens". You can talk and think about it, but its still just a guess. 

2 hours ago, irish said:

Separate from this questioning, do you think all women should have the right to choose and have access to getting an abortion?   If you answered this before and I missed it (just cause I didn't read every post), sorry. 

My personal opinion on abortion is irrelevant to my question and I'm not looking to get into another debate on abortion. I'm simply asking a very specific question because I want opinions other than my own. Most people on here kind of know my stance, but I'd rather not get into that because I feel like it would affect the outcome of answers.

Edited by rajncajn

34 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

My personal opinion on abortion is irrelevant to my question and I'm not looking to get into another debate on abortion. I'm simply asking a very specific question because I want opinions other than my own. Most people on here kind of know my stance, but I'd rather not get into that because I feel like it would affect the outcome of answers.

Gotcha, I was just curious. 

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

How about you give us your answer to your own hypothetical question. 

I don't think my mother ever would have considered abortion, legal or not. Not sure what else I can tell you. Or really where you're going with this line of though (well I have an idea...)  

I am the 7th child in my family, and my mother had at least one miscarriage. Maybe if one of those survived I'm not conceived. Heck my mom was pregnant at 40 in the mid 60s, far from common then, so it was probably considered risky. 

This is kind of like asking "what would you do if you were in this situation" and honestly my view is "don't know until it happens". You can talk and think about it, but its still just a guess. 

I wouldn't be asking the question if I didn't think it would affect someone's opinion, even if they're not teally willing to admit it.

This isn't really meant to be an inquisition of your parents, nor is it hypothetical. That said, not many parents share their darkest sides with their children by choice. Probably less of us than we think get to ever know their parents as well as we think we do. Some of us know our parents better than we want to.

My own story is unique and I may have shared before. I am not the person in the scenario, though I do have a closely shared perspective.

My mom left my dad when she was pregnant with me. She was an alcoholic and and addict and abandoned me after I was born with my grandmother. I was actuality a few weeks old before my dad even knew I'd been born, after which he brought me home with him. I didn't know my mom as a small kid and although she would take me and my older brother from time to time, it was never for very long. When I started to get a little older,  I wouldn't go with her because I didn't know who she was. It wasn't until I was about 8 or so when she finally pulled her life together in rehab where she met my step-dad. After they had my younger brother together I finally started spending summers with her. At that point she was pretty honest with me about her life and has never shied away from answering questions when asked and even filling in details when not asked. The one question I will never ask her is the one question I don't think she would answer honestly. Had her family and my dad not already known about her pregnancy,  would she still have had me. I won't ask the question because I've known the answer for a very long time. But that's something I've come to terms with and no longer let it haunt my life or dictate my relationship with her.

So, this is not meant to be a baited or trick question. Rather seeking perspective from people,  like the person in question, like you who do not already have my own biased perspective. Who have never had to face their own precarious existence, who wouldn't really ever consider the possibility unless it was presented to them. Who have  children and possibly grandchildren of their own and who are on whatever spectrum of the pro_____ side.