[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, ending 50 years of federal abortion rights

League_Champion

11 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Shame there are not more justices like Roberts on the court. Clearly the Trump appointees will do the GOPs bidding while there. 

So sad, awful day in our history. 

• Thanks 1

This blew my mind when I read it.  Overturning a law that spanned 49 years.  From what I understand, while quite a few states will enact stricter laws or ban it completely, many states will still allow abortion with laws/guidelines relatively unchanged.  

I do wonder how much of an increase we'll see in the pediatric medicaid population.  This is defintely going to affect those in poverty a lot more.

• Thanks 1

The legal precedent to overturn seems dubious at best.  Justices use to routinely rule contradictory to party lines (aka - based on who nominated them).  Clarence Thomas became the first guy whose rulings were as predictable as the sun rising in the east. Now the supreme court has completely morphed into another blunt hammer of predicative partisan policy.  

Turn the clock back 50 years day.  Some 60-70 percent of people believe in abortion rights within reason.  Gorsuch and Kavanagh lied under oath.  Vote for stupid presidents, win stupid prizes. 

Edited by Bobby Brown
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Brown said:

Turn the clock back 50 years day.  Some 60-70 percent of people believe in abortion rights within reason.  Gorsuch and Kavanagh lied under oath.  Vote for stupid presidents, win stupid prizes. 

What an incredibly sad day in our nation's history.  

2 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

The legal precedent to overturn seems dubious at best.  Justices use to routinely rule contradictory to party lines (aka - based on who nominated them).  Clarence Thomas became the first guy whose rulings were as predictable as the sun rising in the east. Now the supreme court has completely morphed into another blunt hammer of predicative partisan policy.  

Thomas is such a POS!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rajncajn said:

The problem is,  not everyone agrees what those reasons should be.

Fair point, but if sentiment of the populace, and more importantly the supreme law of the land matters (which it obviously does), not allowing abortions period is not a civilized ruling.  It's an extreme position that some states will likely take.  We already had a federal ban on late term abortions.  

In Thomas's majority ruling of the decision: he mentioned that contraception and same sex marriage should be reconsidered.  That's spiking the football on fighting a future culture war that had no business being in this decision.  Those ideas really don't fit anywhere in the land of the free, let alone many 3rd world countries.

Such backwards bullocks.  

Edited by Bobby Brown
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

We already had a federal ban on late term abortions.  

Wasn't that a ban on partial-birth, but not specifically late term?

Edit this is what the federal ban covers:

The procedure banned under the act, known in medical circles as dilation and extraction (D&X) or intact dilation and evacuation, involves dilating the cervix, extracting from the uterus all but the head of the fetus, puncturing the skull and removing the brain tissue through suction. This method, which is usually performed after 20 weeks or more of pregnancy, is employed in only a relatively small number of abortions each year. Indeed, roughly 90 percent of abortions occur in the first trimester, and the partial birth or D&X procedure is not even the most common method of terminating later pregnancies.

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2007/06/06/the-high-court-upholds-the-federal-partial-birth-abortion-ban-act/

Edited by rajncajn

Its just beyond stupid that with such high support (60-70%) for the existing precedent by that we're going to go backwards and soon half the nation (by # of states, not sure what % of population) will basically outlaw it. 

Could you imagine that happening with anything else? 

I can't believe all the cities that are burning and have been looted over the weekend because of this ruling. :rolleyes:

It truly is a political first topic now, and the clock is ticking for the midterms. Judges lying during confirmations during the tenure of the biggest Liar In Chief is pretty repulsive.

12 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

That's crazy because I watched 2 live streams 

Yes I know, you told us you watched them on snapchat.  

I'm sure you're not the only right winger completely let down there wasn't widespread looting and violence.  Keep that chin up little guy.  

29 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

Yes I know, you told us you watched them on snapchat.  

I'm sure you're not the only right winger completely let down there wasn't widespread looting and violence.  Keep that chin up little guy.  

I'm pretty sure you were there defending your Wife's abortions. The blue hairs were out in force. 

• Sad 3

While LC isn't a beacon of class, he's too hamhanded and cartoon like to be taken seriously.  If his attempt at a low blow didn't offend me, it shouldn't offend anyone else.  

But yea, this is how threads get locked and people get banned.  Beavis could learn a lesson from what happened to Butthead.

On 6/26/2022 at 10:40 AM, gilthorp said:

I can't believe all the cities that are burning and have been looted over the weekend because of this ruling. :rolleyes:

It truly is a political first topic now, and the clock is ticking for the midterms. Judges lying during confirmations during the tenure of the biggest Liar In Chief is pretty repulsive.

No way, that's impossible, the evil liberals were going to burn the entire country down, and slaughter the Trump appointed Justices that went against them. You sure they didn't attack the SCOTUS building and break into the offices or something?  Smear feces on the walls? How disappointing....for right wingers. 

Local media seemed prepared for more, but last night they had nothing but some footage of 3 days of peaceful protests, not a single person arrested. (I know CONS will claim FAKE NEWS or that the "liberals made sure to protect the violent protestors just like the summer of 2020".)