[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Garoppolo

purplemonster

I can't imagine the Dolphins or Texans. Do the Giants really hate Daniel Jones that much? And it's not like any of these teams are a QB away from winning anything. The Seahawks are dumb enough to do it but I doubt they'd trade him within the division. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/07/30/seahawks-dolphins-texans-are-the-betting-favorites-to-land-jimmy-garoppolo/

Doesn't sound like there's much interest from NFL teams in Jimmy G at this point, just speculation on where he might land. Not surprising at this late state, teams are in camp, preseason games will start soon. At least the top bets no longer include the Browns.

The most likely scenario is he's going to be cut when rosters are reduced before the season starts. Then its a free for all. 

I love Florio's "Dolphins are all in on Tua, except for pursuing Watson & Brady the last 2 seasons". Classic sharp stick in the eye. 

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Doesn't sound like there's much interest from NFL teams in Jimmy G at this point, just speculation on where he might land. Not surprising at this late state, teams are in camp, preseason games will start soon. At least the top bets no longer include the Browns.

The most likely scenario is he's going to be cut when rosters are reduced before the season starts. Then its a free for all. 

I love Florio's "Dolphins are all in on Tua, except for pursuing Watson & Brady the last 2 seasons". Classic sharp stick in the eye. 

I agree. I don't think I can remember less interest in a QB who's had as much success as he has had. It's not like he's Sam Darnold, he's won some big games. 

• Like 1

you guys understand that he was only able to throw after surgery recently, right?  I am not sure how much interest almost all qbs would have undergoing rehab. his price tag + surgery really dropped his value.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bier Meister said:

you guys understand that he was only able to throw after surgery recently, right?  I am not sure how much interest almost all qbs would have undergoing rehab. his price tag + surgery really dropped his value.

Understood, but it's not like he had a torn Achilles. It's a fairly routine surgery. 

3 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Understood, but it's not like he had a torn Achilles. It's a fairly routine surgery. 

It was in his throwing shoulder.  That is the #1 reason for the hesitancy.  No one is going to want to invest in a qb rehabbing his throwing shoulder

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

It was in his throwing shoulder.  That is the #1 reason for the hesitancy.  No one is going to want to invest in a qb rehabbing his throwing shoulder

I hear you but he's projected to make a full recovery. It's not a 2 year rehab. The holdup right now is probably his salary. They may have to give him away. 

Edited by League_Champion

15 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I hear you but he's projected to make a full recovery. It's not a 2 year rehab. The holdup right now is his salary

This is going right over your head. You are putting the cart before the horse. Owners/gms need to be assured that he checks out before contemplating negotiations. Due diligence.

Just now, Bier Meister said:

This is going right over your head. You are putting the cart before the horse. Owners/gms need to be assured that he checks out before contemplating negotiations. Due diligence.

I get all that but there's no risk. He has 1 year left on his deal. Whoever takes on that contract will have no problem getting out from under it if it goes bad. Is that over your head?? 

1 minute ago, League_Champion said:

I get all that but there's no risk. He has 1 year left on his deal. Whoever takes on that contract will have no problem getting out from under it if it goes bad. Is that over your head?? 

The big issue for jg has been health.  If he has no issue with his shoulder after the season the scenario plays out differently. 

who is going to invest in damaged goods?

Just now, Bier Meister said:

The big issue for jg has been health.  If he has no issue with his shoulder after the season the scenario plays out differently. 

who is going to invest in damaged goods?

THERE IS NO INVESTING. ITS A FREE LOOK SEE. THEY CAN PART WAYS AT THE END OF THE YEAR, FRANCHISE HIM OR SIGN HIM TO A LONG TERN DEAL. WHERE'S THE RISK?? 

17 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

THERE IS NO INVESTING. ITS A FREE LOOK SEE. THEY CAN PART WAYS AT THE END OF THE YEAR, FRANCHISE HIM OR SIGN HIM TO A LONG TERN DEAL. WHERE'S THE RISK?? 

investing would be determined through negotiations with sf regarding how much, if any, of his contract the 49ers are willing to fulfill. Teams were rightfully cautious to negotiate due to his shoulder and not know how he would look post surgery.

Other teams, jimmy, and the 9ers are now all in limbo… waiting to see how his shoulder performs and if team qbs are working out. 

2 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

investing would be determined through negotiations with sf regarding how much, if any, of his contract the 49ers are willing to fulfill. Teams were rightfully cautious to negotiate due to his shoulder and not know how he would look post surgery.

Other teams, jimmy, and the 9ers are now all in limbo… waiting to see how his shoulder performs and if team qbs are working out. 

There's no bidding war, that's the point. He's either going to be dirt cheap or free. He's on a 1 year deal with team control. You got in my face about the risk. Where is the risk?

5 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

There's no bidding war, that's the point. He's either going to be dirt cheap or free. He's on a 1 year deal with team control. You got in my face about the risk. Where is the risk?

Acquiring team would still have to buck up something.  Why do that if he can’t throw?

11 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Acquiring team would still have to buck up something.  Why do that if he can’t throw?

Buck what up? A 4th round pick to get a free look at a possible franchise QB? I don't see the risk that you're talking about. So what if he isn't fully healthy to start the season. Whoever gets him likely needs a QB and isn't a contender anyway. 

Edited by League_Champion

3 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Buck what up? A 4th round pick to get a free look at a possible franchise QB? I don't see the risk that you're talking about. 

Salary. How that would be allocated would be for the teams to determine. New team would still likely be paying something.  The risk is the outcome of the surgery. 

if there were no surgery, there would be higher confidence to bring him into camp

1 minute ago, Bier Meister said:

Salary. How that would be allocated would be for the teams to determine. New team would still likely be paying something.  The risk is the outcome of the surgery. 

if there were no surgery, there would be higher confidence to bring him into camp

Deshaun Watson got how much money?? How's that for risk? There's no risk with Jimmy G. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Deshaun Watson got how much money?? How's that for risk? There's no risk with Jimmy G. 

It think it is high and a lot of $$ for a top 5 qb with legal issues who has already missed a year. I haven't read their escape route should things go south. JG is not a top 5 qb, not has watson had his injury history. different risk imo

Edited by Bier Meister
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bier Meister said:

It think it is high and a lot of $$ for a top 5 qb with legal issues who has already missed a year. I haven't read their escape route should things go south. JG is not a top 5 qb, not has watson had his injury history. different risk imo

Ok, we can agree to disagree but to me it's a very low risk, high reward signing. If it doesn't work out you're out of it in a year. It's not a long term situation like Watson. 

1 minute ago, League_Champion said:

Ok, we can agree to disagree but to me it's a very low risk, high reward signing. If it doesn't work out you're out of it in a year. It's not a long term situation like Watson. 

i think potential bidders were prudent to wait on the results of the surgery to determine if they were/are in or not.... it has had effectively driven his price down. Once he can prove healthy, he can be a very nice upside value signing for someone.  if healthy, he is definitely a starter.....somewhere.

47 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

i think potential bidders were prudent to wait on the results of the surgery to determine if they were/are in or not.... it has had effectively driven his price down. Once he can prove healthy, he can be a very nice upside value signing for someone.  if healthy, he is definitely a starter.....somewhere.

Fair enough 

It was always going to be a tough situation to find somebody willing to take him until they knew more about his recovery. SF can't take the salary cap hit, but doesn't need to trade him to avoid that, they just release him. And somebody looking to trade for him doesn't know what they're getting, so hard to decide how much salary you're willing to take on and have cap room for, or what kind of pick/player you'd give up. And if he is just a one year signing, there isn't much a team can do to work with the cap. If he gets released and becomes a free agent there is no pick/player cost, and contract can be done in a way that works for player and team. The big loser in all this is probably Jimmy's pocketbook. I think Baker Mayfield gave up $3.5M to make his trade work, after the Browns took $10.5M and CAR paid just $5M.  But that was also a different situation, releasing Baker would not erase the Browns cap hit so they had to work out a trade. 

As for the Watson deal, that may yet work out. But the Browns made a huge gamble, and I don't believe they had much of an out, other than Watson getting in trouble again or having details come out that he wasn't up front with the Browns. The salary is fully guaranteed and that means its on their books unless they find another team to take the contract. I guess an indefinite lifetime ban may have meant they never have to pay him, but not sure if that is true or was in the plan. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Let's see if Jimmy G gets traded to the Browns after Emperor Goodell drops the hammer on Watson.

First lets see how long the next stage of this thing takes, when the Goodell designee is selected and announced, when they issue a decision and then the likely lawsuit from the Watson camp. This could end up meaning Watson plays a full season this year instead of missing anytime.

I suppose anything could happen (I never thought they'd get Watson, and after 2020 I thought Mayfield would be their QB for 10 years), but I don't see them going after Jimmy.

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

First lets see how long the next stage of this thing takes, when the Goodell designee is selected and announced, when they issue a decision and then the likely lawsuit from the Watson camp. This could end up meaning Watson plays a full season this year instead of missing anytime.

And again,  if that happens he forfeits part of his 42 million dollar salary next yr, rather then part of his 1 million salary this year.  He has 41 million reasons to not appeal and end up being suspended next season

• Like 1