[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Garoppolo

purplemonster

Short version

- massive contract, but with most of the money not guaranteed nor locked into the cap, can just release him

- SF won't have him start

- SEA might be interested but seems like a reach

- CLE might be interested, but doesn't seem that likely either

- I think there is a good chance he gets cut, SF isn't in a tight spot to trade for cap relief

Part of the deal is he has a huge contract with the 49ers, a 27M cap hit. They can save almost all of that by cutting or trading him this year. Doesn't matter if it is before or after the June 1 date that often impacts those things.

Where does he end up, who knows but I don't think SF plans to have him start, that's Trey Lance's job. They probably don't want to pay him that much to be a backup. So they'll try to trade him. Most recent rumors are CLE and SEA.  The latter is surprising since I recall reading they had no interest in Mayfield because they were fine with their current QBs (Lock & Geno). Maybe the story is different for Jimmy G, some perceive him to be at a much higher level. As for the Browns, I do think they should find somebody to start if Watson will miss the entire season. But I'm not sure when they'll know that relative to the timeline for being able to bring in a new QB to learn the system and start in 2 months. Also not sure the that the team agrees they need another QB in that case, or that they'd want to spend the money for Jimmy.

And since the 49ers could cut him before the season starts and save the entire $25.5M portion, no reason to trade him (for what is likely to be a mid round pick) and eat a portion of the contract. Its a different situation than the Browns were in with Mayfield, they couldn't cut him and save that money, so they had to work out a trade and agree to pay a portion of the salary. (Not sure if that counts against the cap, and did not matter for Browns this year.) And they even got Mayfield to give up  $3M, which I heard him say was a tough decision.

Seattle makes no sense.  They are "fine with Geno and Lock" which is code for "we're tanking and shooting for one of the elite rookies in '23".  @Bobby Brown can attest to this.

Cleveland, at least to me, makes perfect sense if Watson is suspended for the season.  A healthy Jimmy G with that run game and defense could vie for the division and most certainly have a good shot at a nice playoff run.  They keep saying they're fine with Brissett but I think that's just lip service while the Watson thing is resolved.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Seattle makes no sense.  They are "fine with Geno and Lock" which is code for "we're tanking and shooting for one of the elite rookies in '23".  @Bobby Brown can attest to this.

Cleveland, at least to me, makes perfect sense if Watson is suspended for the season.  A healthy Jimmy G with that run game and defense could vie for the division and most certainly have a good shot at a nice playoff run.  They keep saying they're fine with Brissett but I think that's just lip service while the Watson thing is resolved.  

i agree

4 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Maybe they know Lance isn't ready? There's been a lot of reports out of camp question this. What better insurance policy than Jimmy G? 

retired players like steve young and jerry rice are saying he has progressed well and looks ready.  nothing i've seen shows me this (but i am not at camp).  I still like a healthy jimmy as starter, with trey holding the clipboard another year... but know that isn't going to happen.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

i agree

retired players like steve young and jerry rice are saying he has progressed well and looks ready.  nothing i've seen shows me this (but i am not at camp).  I still like a healthy jimmy as starter, with trey holding the clipboard another year... but know that isn't going to happen.

I was listening to one of the SF beat writers who was on a Fantasy show. He was saying that some sources within the organization feel like he has a ways to go and that he's struggling picking up the offense. But who knows, it's still very early on 

1 minute ago, League_Champion said:

I was listening to one of the SF beat writers who was on a Fantasy show. He was saying that some sources within the organization feel like he has a ways to go and that he's struggling picking up the offense. But who knows, it's still very early on 

i am not surprised.  he had a few flashy big plays last year in preseason and in-season games, but i didn't think he looked good. I thought he missed open wrs and his accuracy was poor.

• Like 1

Apparently the 49ers have the cap space, at least at this time. With Jimmy counting almost $27M against the cap they have about 5M free. So they don't have to do anything, especially if they have doubts about Lance. Heck do they even have a mediocre backup if Lance doesn't work out, or gets hurt? I see Nate Sudfield with zero NFL starts and 7th round rookie Purdy as their other options. Maybe it doesn't matter if they don't plan to compete this year.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/san-francisco-49ers

The Browns will surely put some feelers out, so they are prepared to make a move if Watson is suspended for a long period and they've decided not to roll with Brissett. (They're not exactly a well run franchise.) I was just reading something that mentions a CLE area reporter (Tony Rizzo of ESPN CLE formerly of our local Fox station) saying he has heard from "reliable sources" the suspension will only be 4-6 games, which is lower than most have predicted, if not a full season then 8-10 games is more common. 

So, a yr and a half later it's

Lance for:

Micah parsons

Cole Strange

Channing Tindall 

23 1st

As Miami flipped the 22 1st and #12 (and a 4th) for #6 (and a 5th).

The Miami- San Fran sides look like:

Lance

for

Waddle

Tindall

23 1st. 

16 hours ago, darin3 said:

Pete Carroll makes no sense.  So when they say they are fine with Geno or Luck, I take it with a grain of salt.

What makes absolutely no sense, to me, is to spend any kind of substantial capital on Jimmy G after Mayfield went for whatever 5th or 4th.  

It's bandaid time.  And Seattle has 2 firsts and 2 second round picks next year in addition to what they hope to pan out with their 2022 draft.

Jimmy G is a guy you put on a playoff ready team and hope the defense and special teams are dominant enough to erase his inability to win or lose a game.

However it shakes out he won't be a 49er when the season starts. Seattle could be a spot but don't want him to go to a division team even if he struggles. Cleveland, nah, don't think they'll go after him since getting Watson. The Texans are intriguing.  He would automatically make them better but it'll surely dampen the progress of young Davis Mills who didn't play that bad last year. So, I look forthe 49ers to eventually cut him after failing to find a trade partner. His best bet might be if a teams QB gets injured then they may want to give him a look. He's not a bad QB and he does win games it's just I don't think he could ever win a superbowl for the 49ers.

It may be in the 49ers best interest to find a way to hold onto Jimmy G AND pay DEEBO a.new big contract. Certainly would take a lot of rearranging bit it's possible. Finding a trade partner for Jimmy G would be ideal and they could certainly offer Deebo enough money to stay. I'd like to see that happen. I was watching Total Access on the NFL network and they put forth an interesting scenario for trading Garoppolo. The NY Giants opted to NOT pick up the 5th year option on Danny Dimes thus possibly opening the door for them to take a serious look at Garrapolo.  I like that scenario and would like to see it happen. Just don't want Jimmyto end up in Seattle. I feel confident that Lynch and Shanahan will do the best they can for the team and come to a solution soon.

35 minutes ago, Docniner said:

It may be in the 49ers best interest to find a way to hold onto Jimmy G AND pay DEEBO a.new big contract. Certainly would take a lot of rearranging bit it's possible

I feel like it's certainly in their best interest to keep Jimmy G, especially if things go south with Lance. They are primed to compete now. 

20 hours ago, League_Champion said:

I feel like it's certainly in their best interest to keep Jimmy G, especially if things go south with Lance. They are primed to compete now. 

I agree with you but it'll be difficult to keep Jimmy with his salary and sign Deebo to a deal he'll accept. It'd be ideal to have them both on the roster come week1, just don't know if it's doable. In the end I'd say give Deebo what he wants even if it means releasing Jimmy G. Lance is gonna struggle at times regardless whether Jimmy G is there or not. He is the future and he needs to play.

On 7/17/2022 at 8:28 AM, Docniner said:

I agree with you but it'll be difficult to keep Jimmy with his salary and sign Deebo to a deal he'll accept. It'd be ideal to have them both on the roster come week1, just don't know if it's doable. In the end I'd say give Deebo what he wants even if it means releasing Jimmy G. Lance is gonna struggle at times regardless whether Jimmy G is there or not. He is the future and he needs to play.

I'm not following the 49ers like you are, does Deebo's deal need to get done now, before the season starts? Is he threatening to hold out if not? 

I did see something showing his estimated salary would be around $24M/year against the cap. Trading Jimmy would free up a lot of that. 

On 7/18/2022 at 6:36 AM, stevegrab said:

I'm not following the 49ers like you are, does Deebo's deal need to get done now, before the season starts? Is he threatening to hold out if not? 

I did see something showing his estimated salary would be around $24M/year against the cap. Trading Jimmy would free up a lot of that. 

On 7/18/2022 at 7:10 AM, League_Champion said:

Agree, but if Lance isn't ready then he's not ready. Then what? 

Regardless of starting qb, deebo has to be a priority. Both of them need as many strong pieces as possible. even more so for trey.

Interesting news story, guess I had forgotten about similar reports of Jimmy being allowed to seek a trade.. BACK IN MARC.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/07/20/the-49ers-granted-jimmy-garoppolo-permission-to-seek-a-trade-in-march/ 

Sounds like Mike Florio and Adam Schefter are not good friends. 

I'm sure people will suggest he'll go to the Browns, but I still say that isn't happening. It was talked about on local news last night, Browns may be looking to add somebody but it won't be him. Plus they touched on how Jimmy may not have interest in the Browns, he wants a team where he can start, that's Watson's job eventually. 

From The Huddle News

San Francisco 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo is not expected to be a trade target for the Cleveland Browns even though he has been allowed to seek a trade.

I also read yesterday that the Mayfield deal with Carolina was nearly complete around or shortly after the draft. The big sticking point was getting Baker to give up a portion of the money, partially countered by incentives in his contract (that will be hard to obtain).