[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Garoppolo

purplemonster

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Montana is da Man said:

Purdy didn't look too bad considering he probably never takes 1st team reps 

Right. Let’s see what the 7th rounder can do vs tbb and sea

Edited by Bier Meister

6 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

He played a good game at home

I don't mean to sound like the Jimmy G's worst critic.  But, if any team can stand to lose a starting QB and still make a deep playoff run, it's the 49ers.  It's completely plausible I'm vasly underestimating Jimmy's grasp of the offense.  But a competent game manager should be able to have some success with this team.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

I don't mean to sound like the Jimmy G's worst critic.  But, if any team can stand to lose a starting QB and still make a deep playoff run, it's the 49ers.  It's completely plausible I'm vasly underestimating Jimmy's grasp of the offense.  But a competent game manager should be able to have some success with this team.  

The 9ers have excellent pieces, but other qb's have had a hard time winning in SF.  JG is not the most gifted qb in the league, but has intangibles that translate into winning and knows the system and players very well.  He makes the machine go.

Purdy's stat line was very JGish.

I am hopeful, but skeptical over here

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

It's completely plausible I'm vasly underestimating Jimmy's grasp of the offense. 

You are.  He's been taken for granted and underrated perpetually.  

IMO it's practically becoming cliche to JimmyG bash.   Yet year in and out he's a better "game manager" than a lot of "top" QB's.  

17 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

But a competent game manager should be able to have some success with this team.  

Some success yes.   How much obviously remains to be seen.

4 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

The 9ers have excellent pieces, but other qb's have had a hard time winning in SF.  JG is not the most gifted qb in the league, but has intangibles that translate into winning and knows the system and players very well.  He makes the machine go.

Purdy's stat line was very JGish.

I am hopeful, but skeptical over here

^ agreed 100%.  Well said. 

34 minutes ago, FinishTheDrill said:

You are.  He's been taken for granted and underrated perpetually.  

He's has also shown, on multiple occasions, that his abilities leave little room for error team wide in postseason play against good to great teams.  The playoff game last year against GB was a microcosm of a larger trend.  Offense puts up 6 points l, defense plays lights out, special teams scores A TD, and 49ers win a squeaker. Another example was the playoff game where he threw 8 passes the entire contest. He clearly  wasn't better than a 'game manager' in those situations.

We have numerous real life examples that the bigger the games get late in the season; Jimmy G js not elevating the team to victory. To the contrary, the strategy is to minimize his impact on the game.  The 49ers didn't trade up to draft Trey Lance because they felt good about winning a championship with Garapallo.  San Farn has been a SB caliber team at everywhere but QB for years now. 

It would have been nice to see what that SF team with Jimmy G and CMC and their other weapons on offense plus their defense could do in the playoffs this season. 

I can see that he's a very valuable piece to their team, just wasn't a fan of him being acquired by my team as our future franchise QB, especially back when he was in NE and hadn't shown much yet.

I guess we'll see how Purdy manages the games going forward, I heard he looked pretty good. But I'm sure they'll look to add some depth. 

I have noticed that Jimmy G struggles to throw downfield to the sidelines. That was evident in the GB playoff game last year. 

Between the hash and crossing stuff underneath, he is very good. Limited arm strength and it's not like that's going to get better than it is today. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2022 at 12:11 AM, Bobby Brown said:

It's only 2 starts, but Purdy is looking substantialy competent with this team. San Francisco will face tougher trials as the season goes on and Purdy will make some mistakes.  But, I'm still not sure how much a disadvantage having this rookie QB at the helm is relative to Jimmy G.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

It's only 2 starts, but Purdy is looking substantialy competent with this team. San Francisco will face tougher trials as the season goes on and Purdy will make some mistakes.  But, I'm still not sure how much a disadvantage having this rookie QB at the helm is relative to Jimmy G.

He is doing a wonderful job