[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Waiver Order Style

Slug03

I am wondering your opinion on how waivers should work. I have a friend (who is our LM) who insisted that waiver should be reset each week in reverse order of standings. I brought up to him how I disliked this method because it punishes teams who drafted well. His argument was that this is how pro leagues do it and that he doesn't want the "rich to get richer." 

Personally, I believe that fantasy football is very different than pro sports leagues since borderline 53-man players and practice squad guys are usually the only ones who grace waivers in the pros, while in fantasy you could have a guy like Kenneth Walker become available who is an instant game-changer, but the same team (assuming they stay in last place) gets the first crack at the top option each week. 

I feel this last point is especially relevant in a league like ours where 8 of the 12 teams make the playoffs, meaning you could get off to a brutal start, improve through waivers in weeks 2-6, then sneak into the playoffs with a juggernaut team filled with waiver wire pickups. 

But that is just my opinion, what are your thoughts?

Edited by Slug03

FAAB is the only way to go.   I could tank the first 4 weeks of the season and land the waiver wire gem each week for the first month and end up having one of the strongest teams down the stretch and into the playoffs

Edited by Shorttynaz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Shorttynaz said:

FAAB is the only way to go.   I could tank the first 4 weeks of the season and land the waiver wire gem each week for the first month and end up having one of the strongest teams down the stretch and into the playoffs

This is it. Every team should have the same fair shake at every free agent. Just because someone has a bad week 1 or week in general, doesn't mean they should get first dibs on the available players. That system is trash. 

For us week 1 is reverse draft order. After that it rotates as waivers are used. If you have waiver 1 and use it you drop to last in waiver order. If you don't use it, you stay #1.

I've sat at #1 for about 5 weeks now, waiting to see if a league winner becomes available. Just been grabbing options after waivers clear on the Free agent market.

6 hours ago, Shorttynaz said:

FAAB is the only way to go.   

best method

6 hours ago, Yoyo said:

For us week 1 is reverse draft order. After that it rotates as waivers are used. If you have waiver 1 and use it you drop to last in waiver order. If you don't use it, you stay #1.

second best

6 hours ago, Slug03 said:

I am wondering your opinion on how waivers should work. I have a friend (who is our LM) who insisted that waiver should be reset each week in reverse order of standings.

terrible

We do it same as you do, reset every week on reverse of standings. I was suggesting once that we limit the reset to be every 2-3 weeks so there was so benefit to holding a higher waiver pick. But nobody was interested in that change. People are generally resistant to change.

Bidding systems (FAAB) are better in some ways, but require extra work that some team owners or league managers may not want to do that.

Talk to others in your league to get their support and rally for a change next season. 

4 hours ago, FinishTheDrill said:

FAAB best method

Reverse order rotating second best

Reset every week terrible

I agree and we use method 2.

In our dynasty league I drafted last and had the #1 waiver pick up until a couple weeks ago.  It rewards good drafting and patience as well as diligence.  O/w you get the crappy teams grabbing guys every week knowing they can likely grab someone the next week if they lose again.  It turns into a team full of handcuffs and prospects that usually leads to eratic results and unhappy owners.   

I'd love to change to FAAB but it appears none of the guys want to learn something new.

13 hours ago, Slug03 said:

I am wondering your opinion on how waivers should work. I have a friend (who is our LM) who insisted that waiver should be reset each week in reverse order of standings. I brought up to him how I disliked this method because it punishes teams who drafted well. His argument was that this is how pro leagues do it and that he doesn't want the "rich to get richer." 

Personally, I believe that fantasy football is very different than pro sports leagues since borderline 53-man players and practice squad guys are usually the only ones who grace waivers in the pros, while in fantasy you could have a guy like Kenneth Walker become available who is an instant game-changer, but the same team (assuming they stay in last place) gets the first crack at the top option each week. 

I feel this last point is especially relevant in a league like ours where 8 of the 12 teams make the playoffs, meaning you could get off to a brutal start, improve through waivers in weeks 2-6, then sneak into the playoffs with a juggernaut team filled with waiver wire pickups. 

But that is just my opinion, what are your thoughts?

FAAB only with any bidding ties decided by worse record

1 hour ago, 1fastdoc said:

I'd love to change to FAAB but it appears none of the guys want to learn something new.

I hear you.  Ran my 3 leagues since 2001.   I had been endorsing FAAB for the last 7 years or so with support only from the younger GMs.  Most of the old fartimers were afraid of bidding and insisted on maintaining the weekly worst-to-first and they made a lot of noise about it.   Finally, last year I made the change and forced them into it.  Amazing how all the crying stopped after one week. Now everyone wonders why it took so damned long.

Moral of the story: Shove it down their throats.  It works.  If you lose a GM, so be it.  Nobody left because of FAAB implementation in my leagues.

59 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

If the majority of the owners in a league don't want something why do other owners or a commish think it should be shoved down their throats?

Because people fear/hate change and most progress was initially met with resistance?  

If I thought our league would tolerate it I'd make the jump. But half care a lot and half are very casual about it.  So, we'd likely lose GMs, which is a PITA in a dynasty league.  Also, it'd be on my shoulders and I don't have any time currently for any more responsibilities.

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

If the majority of the owners in a league don't want something why do other owners or a commish think it should be shoved down their throats?

Because it's the commish's league and he/she sets the rules?  I run my leagues.  Gave them worst to first for 12+ yrs.  Discussed it.  Majority were fine with giving it a try.  Oldfarts who do nothing but complain and who reject any and all suggestions for change make the noise.  Was almost hoping for a couple of them to hang it up.  Now they love FAAB.  I should have changed the rule 5 years earlier.  Worst-to-first waiver wires are flat out bad. Will never play in a league with that again.

Just now, Dcat said:

Because it's the commish's league and he/she sets the rules?  I run my leagues.  Gave them worst to first for 12+ yrs.  Discussed it.  Majority were fine with giving it a try.  Oldfarts who do nothing but complain and who reject any and all suggestions for change make the noise.  Was almost hoping for a couple of them to hang it up.  Now they love FAAB.  I should have changed the rule 5 years earlier.  Worst-to-first waiver wires are flat out bad. Will never play in a league with that again.

OK that's your view, and its not uncommon, but its one I don't share. I've been co-commish (buddy from work started the league asked for my help) of our long time (30+ year) local league, we've never really treated it as "our league" we suggest things, and the owners vote. If the majority vote against something it doesn't happen. If the commissioners decide we're done, tired of running the league it will fold, because nobody else has ever been willing to help. But we still look for consensus for rule changes, especially anything big like that.

5 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

OK that's your view, and its not uncommon, but its one I don't share. I've been co-commish (buddy from work started the league asked for my help) of our long time (30+ year) local league, we've never really treated it as "our league" we suggest things, and the owners vote. If the majority vote against something it doesn't happen. If the commissioners decide we're done, tired of running the league it will fold, because nobody else has ever been willing to help. But we still look for consensus for rule changes, especially anything big like that.

It's my league for sure.  I do all the work.  I created the unique Keeper format 20+ yrs ago and have tweeked it as we went along.   I collect the entry fees and make all the payouts.  I recruit replacement GMs and keep track of finances.  I keep track of keepers on the spread sheets in the off season.  I have suggested and made the vast majority of the other gradual changes thru the years despite persistent objections.  For example....  it took a couple years for some to realize decimal scoring was more accurate. The shift from regular to half point PPR wasn't too bad.  It only took 3 yrs.  The addition of IDPs was a big one... and one I really wanted to try.  Had to push like crazy to give it a shot.   Some GMs just argue against any change and for no reason other than they don't like change.     

Several people had been calling for FAAB for at least 5+ yrs including me.  It was time to give it a shot even if 3 -4 out of 12 in each league still objected to even just trying it.  And now they like it.

• Like 1