[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kyle Pitts

RILETT

I’m having a hard time understanding what is going on with him. Why did Atlanta spend the 4th overall pick on him? If he is as talented and the freak athlete at the TE position that everyone says he is, why after 2 full years have they not been able to get him the ball on a consistent basis? I know they are a run first team, so is Baltimore but, they still find a way to get Mark Andrews the ball. There is no reason a TE of his size, speed and athleticism shouldn’t approach double digit TD’s or at least 70-80 receptions. Yet in 27 games he averages less than 4 receptions a game and has 3 TD’s. 

In his rookie year they threw at him 110 times in 17 games, that is about 6.5 targets a game. In year 2, 59 targets in 10 games, or about 6 per game, not a big drop. Part of the problem may be Pitts hands, for his career he has caught just 57% of his targets. (Yes some targets are uncatchable, don't know what is drop stats are or how he grades at catching the ball.)

A young QB may use the TE as a security blanket, but generally that won't get a lot of yards. 

Or maybe just isn't that good. 

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

In his rookie year they threw at him 110 times in 17 games, that is about 6.5 targets a game. In year 2, 59 targets in 10 games, or about 6 per game, not a big drop. Part of the problem may be Pitts hands, for his career he has caught just 57% of his targets. (Yes some targets are uncatchable, don't know what is drop stats are or how he grades at catching the ball.)

A young QB may use the TE as a security blanket, but generally that won't get a lot of yards. 

Or maybe just isn't that good. 

That is exactly what I’m thinking, maybe he just isn’t as good as he was billed to be. 

I think the problem is the coach - not the players. I appreciate they did not have to do much to beat Carolina...but they played it a bit close.  Let's see what happens the next few weeks.

The Falcons spend massive draft capital first on Pitts, then on London, and neither one are being meaningfully targeted? Just nuts, even with league-average QBing (or even below-league average QBing).

I think the problem is Arthur Smith. He's too smart - or arrogant - for his own good. Good news is he'll get himself fired and then these players can really shine. Happens all the time in the NFL: outstanding players never get to make their mark because of questionable coaching and utilization.

I own zero shares of Pitts anywhere.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 3:27 PM, stethant said:

I think the problem is the coach - not the players. I appreciate they did not have to do much to beat Carolina...but they played it a bit close.  Let's see what happens the next few weeks.

The Falcons spend massive draft capital first on Pitts, then on London, and neither one are being meaningfully targeted? Just nuts, even with league-average QBing (or even below-league average QBing).

I think the problem is Arthur Smith. He's too smart - or arrogant - for his own good. Good news is he'll get himself fired and then these players can really shine. Happens all the time in the NFL: outstanding players never get to make their mark because of questionable coaching and utilization.

I own zero shares of Pitts anywhere.

Pitts should ask for a trade imo 

• Like 1

I think it is notable and overlooked that Pitts set records as a rookie with a solid QB in Matt Ryan. He caught 68 passes for 1,026 yards. He broke 100 yards in three games. He caught at least 4 passes in 10 games. Where is that now? Did he lose the ability to catch the ball? He's more experienced now. Why the Falcons won't throw to him is a mystery, but it would be one thing if he had flopped from the start. Remove Travis Kelce from consideration, and there were only 13 tight ends that logged a 1,000 yard season in the last ten years. None were rookies. 

I'd agree that his outlook this season is poor. But I would not write off his career by any means.