[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

First NFL Coach Fired

gijoerock

Only two jobs left open, WAS & SEA

Along with Raheem Morris for ATL, CAR hired TB OC Dave Canales as their new HC.  Canales was TB OC for one season, helping turn Baker Mayfield around after spending many years in SEA, the last one helping Geno Smith become a legit starter. Maybe he can help Bryce Young. 

Maybe BB doesn't want to coach anymore, or maybe he is too demanding in what he wants. 

The other story I am reading that I didn't see mentioned is that the Falcons have removed Rich McKay from his role with the team. That came later Thursday after announcing they hired Morris. The story says that both GM Fontenot and HC Smith reported to McKay who then reported to Blank.

Apparently this McKay's role was not made public, saying he wasn't involved in day-to-day operations then learning he spoke with GM/HC two dozen times a week. Story mentions how it impacted their coaching search, and could have been a big they were unable to get Belichick. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/falcons-shake-up-organizational-structure-rich-mckay-out/ar-BB1hhcnz?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=152dd760799b4741aafbe4c667ad87df&ei=24

32 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

The other story I am reading that I didn't see mentioned is that the Falcons have removed Rich McKay from his role with the team. That came later Thursday after announcing they hired Morris. The story says that both GM Fontenot and HC Smith reported to McKay who then reported to Blank.

Apparently this McKay's role was not made public, saying he wasn't involved in day-to-day operations then learning he spoke with GM/HC two dozen times a week. Story mentions how it impacted their coaching search, and could have been a big they were unable to get Belichick. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/falcons-shake-up-organizational-structure-rich-mckay-out/ar-BB1hhcnz?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=152dd760799b4741aafbe4c667ad87df&ei=24

McKay was basically their President of football operations, much like Dennis Lauscha with the Saints organization. Some owners like Blank and Mrs Benson take a more hands-off approach to managing the team.

2 hours ago, rajncajn said:

McKay was basically their President of football operations, much like Dennis Lauscha with the Saints organization. Some owners like Blank and Mrs Benson take a more hands-off approach to managing the team.

Curious if you read the article?  A big part of the story is how Blank said McKay was not involved in day to day operations, but that was found to be false. Misleading your fans about the organizational structure isn't usually good. 

The author also talks about how Blank is very hands on and involved in decision making. Maybe he's way off base, I know you're closer to that region and the team is your division so maybe you've followed it more closely.

4 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Curious if you read the article?  A big part of the story is how Blank said McKay was not involved in day to day operations, but that was found to be false. Misleading your fans about the organizational structure isn't usually good. 

The author also talks about how Blank is very hands on and involved in decision making. Maybe he's way off base, I know you're closer to that region and the team is your division so maybe you've followed it more closely.

The Falcons own press release said that Blank and McKay would be choosing the head coach, so I'm not sure why this article is saying McKay wasn't involved in football. I'm pretty certain McKay hired Fonteneau as well. 

On 1/26/2024 at 5:50 PM, rajncajn said:

The Falcons own press release said that Blank and McKay would be choosing the head coach, so I'm not sure why this article is saying McKay wasn't involved in football. I'm pretty certain McKay hired Fonteneau as well. 

Okay first off it was a simple question did you read the article yes or no cuz it still sounds like you didn't. Team press releases are written by PR experts to give the best spin. 

I'm pretty sure the reporter who wrote the article is saying that in the past prior to now that Falcons said he wasn't involved in day-to-day operations and he certainly was. From what I gather he covers Atlanta sports. Maybe he knows stuff. Maybe he has an axe to grind. 

6 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Okay first off it was a simple question did you read the article yes or no cuz it still sounds like you didn't. Team press releases are written by PR experts to give the best spin. 

I'm pretty sure the reporter who wrote the article is saying that in the past prior to now that Falcons said he wasn't involved in day-to-day operations and he certainly was. From what I gather he covers Atlanta sports. Maybe he knows stuff. Maybe he has an axe to grind. 

What exactly are you trying to argue about? I was responding to your post, not the article. I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just pointing at the obvious contradiction between the press release I referred to, historical context and what the article is talking about. :shrug:

Here is what you said that I was responding to:

On 1/26/2024 at 8:52 AM, stevegrab said:

2 hours ago, gilthorp said:

I hate when Rajn argues without full context and perspective.

I hate when people say I'm arguing when I'm not.

Edited by rajncajn
  • Confused 2

From the article:

"Only recently were we made aware of exactly what he was doing. Arthur Smith and Terry Fontenot reported to McKay during their three-year stretch, and the Falcons CEO would then report to the owner on matters.

What’s even worse is Falcons fans were misled about McKay’s role. We were led to believe that he wasn’t involved in day-to-day operations, only to find out during a press conference following Smith’s termination that McKay spoke with the head coach and GM more than two dozen times per week. I don’t know why Falcons fans should believe Blank now."

And what I am saying is that I didn't think that it was any secret that McKay was involved in football operations. That's not an argument, just an observation saying that part of the article didn't make sense to me.
Edited by rajncajn

16 hours ago, rajncajn said:

From the article:

"Only recently were we made aware of exactly what he was doing. Arthur Smith and Terry Fontenot reported to McKay during their three-year stretch, and the Falcons CEO would then report to the owner on matters.

What’s even worse is Falcons fans were misled about McKay’s role. We were led to believe that he wasn’t involved in day-to-day operations, only to find out during a press conference following Smith’s termination that McKay spoke with the head coach and GM more than two dozen times per week. I don’t know why Falcons fans should believe Blank now."

And what I am saying is that I didn't think that it was any secret that McKay was involved in football operations. That's not an argument, just an observation saying that part of the article didn't make sense to me.

Most of that should have been in your original response, because it would make it clear you read the story and that it is simply YOUR OPINION that the reporter's claim that fans were misled regarding McKay's role with the team is false. He follows ATL sports, I figure he knows this stuff. Then you chimed in with "but this press release from the team recently makes it clear he is involved with this stuff". 

The bolded would been a much better response than what you originally made, because it is very clear. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Most of that should have been in your original response, because it would make it clear you read the story and that it is simply YOUR OPINION that the reporter's claim that fans were misled regarding McKay's role with the team is false. He follows ATL sports, I figure he knows this stuff. Then you chimed in with "but this press release from the team recently makes it clear he is involved with this stuff". 

The bolded would been a much better response than what you originally made, because it is very clear. 

Sorry I was vague. I thought it was obvious. 

• Confused 1

On 1/24/2024 at 8:36 AM, stevegrab said:

Packers DC for those who may not know. 

Lafleur apparently hires his close friend Hafley, HC of Boston College, to be the new DC.

2 hours ago, Big John said:

Lafleur apparently hires his close friend Hafley, HC of Boston College, to be the new DC.

Looks like he will switch to a 4-3 defense.