[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

First NFL Coach Fired

gijoerock

7 hours ago, Big John said:

Washington to hire Dan Quinn as HC.

And he took Joe Whitt - DAL secondary coach to be the DC who was thought to be named as the new DAL DC.

We'll see what happens, but I thought Quinn did a great job in Dallas, regardless of the final game which I don't really blame on Quinn.

Browns lost their OL coach Bill Callahan who is going to TN to join his son Brian as the OL coach. Lateral move that the Browns could have blocked, but that would have been a crappy thing to do to a great coach that wants to work with his son. Hopefully our OL that has been a strength doesn't struggle. 

• 2 weeks later...

Zimmer goes to Dallas as their DC.

1 hour ago, irish said:

Zimmer goes to Dallas as their DC.

I didn't mind Zimmer as a head coach but he was not great at handling the media at times. For instance blasting your kicker in the media who's having confidence issues gets you....surprise.. worse kicker issues. He lacks the patience and media savvy for HC but a good choice for DC. 

11 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

49ers D coordinator canned?  This feels like one of the biggest scapegoat moves evah.

Certainly could have played better on the game tying and game winning drives but 19 points in regulation isn't too bad. Granted they fumbled an easy 3 to 7 points but still. Just as objectionable is throwing a bunch of passes in the 3rd Q that went nowhere against an elite pass D. 

17 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

49ers D coordinator canned?  This feels like one of the biggest scapegoat moves evah.

According to Shanahan "It just wasn't the right fit". "It was difficult but we needed to go in a different direction."

Sounds like he just didn't like the way Wilks ran the defense, the play calls and other details. I'd hope it wasn't something as basic as his defensive philosophy, something you should see from experience or through the interview. It may have been driven by some of the team feeling they were not prepared (comments by Bosa in linked story below). 

Hmm this is telling, Shanahan said a timeout they used late in OT was due to a defensive call that Wilks had made which he did not like. So it seems pretty clear he doesn't like some of the in game decisions. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/steve-wilks-fired-as-49ers-defensive-coordinator-after-one-season-it-just-ended-up-being-not-the-right-fit-200934699.html

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

According to Shanahan "It just wasn't the right fit". "It was difficult but we needed to go in a different direction."

Sounds like he just didn't like the way Wilks ran the defense, the play calls and other details. I'd hope it wasn't something as basic as his defensive philosophy, something you should see from experience or through the interview. It may have been driven by some of the team feeling they were not prepared (comments by Bosa in linked story below). 

Hmm this is telling, Shanahan said a timeout they used late in OT was due to a defensive call that Wilks had made which he did not like. So it seems pretty clear he doesn't like some of the in game decisions. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/steve-wilks-fired-as-49ers-defensive-coordinator-after-one-season-it-just-ended-up-being-not-the-right-fit-200934699.html

I will say the Niners looked a but gassed on D at times.  I don't know the niners as well as many of you but I believe I heard them saying that they don't substitute guys like a lot of teams do. 

7 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

I will say the Niners looked a but gassed on D at times.  I don't know the niners as well as many of you but I believe I heard them saying that they don't substitute guys like a lot of teams do. 

Shanahan did say part of that time out was the defensive players looking gassed. 

I think you are right about their D, most teams have 6-8 linemen rotating, I recall one of the announcers mentioning the Niners don't do that. 

12 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

No doubt they looked tired, but they also play in a base d more often than other teams.

When you rarely use pressure, it needs to work when you dial it up.

It doesn't help that the Chiefs haven't been called for offensive holding in either of the last 2 Superbowls. Their OL is amazing because they never ever hold.

27 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

No doubt they looked tired, but they also play in a base d more often than other teams.

When you rarely use pressure, it needs to work when you dial it up.

It doesn't help that the Chiefs haven't been called for offensive holding in either of the last 2 Superbowls. Their OL is amazing because they never ever hold.

There were 2 total offensive holding calls in the last 2 Super Bowls, maybe the refs are just "letting them play" as so many fans demand. 

I looked at the 2 years before that, 1 in Rams SB victory, 4 in the first Chiefs SB victory, 2 on punts and 2 on Chiefs Tackle Mike Remmer. 

On 2/20/2024 at 8:40 AM, FinishTheDrill said:

...get called for holding

They sure did all year.   As a matter of fact, they led the league in called holds for their offensive line in 2023. 

But, one things the Chiefs coaching staff knows is in the playoffs officials call way less penalties. The Chiefs defensive staff coaches their corners to be sticky and handsy against receivers. And it results in a lot of defensive holding and illegal contact calls in the regular season.

Come playoff time that changes. That's one of Spags' cheat codes. All they have to do is get to the playoffs. 

• Like 1