[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cousins injury fallout... Jefferson done for season too?

darin3

A talking head on SiriusXM fantasy sports radio this morning said that we should completely downgrade the Vikings' offense moving forward AND that Justin Jefferson could just shut it down based on Cousins being out for the season.   He said to downgrade Hockenson a bit too, although a "game manager" type of QB may actually target him the same or even more than Cousins.

What do y'all think about the speculation that Jefferson may just sit out the remainder of the season?  I think it might be a little bit of an overreaction as the NFC North is still quite winnable and with Jefferson back in the lineup and even a modest uptick in rushing production this team could certainly win the division.

Or perhaps Jefferson says "screw it, I don't want to risk further injury"?

As a Jefferson AND Hockenson owner in more than one league, I'm nervous.

Yeah, unless his leg is falling off JJ will not be done for the season regardless if we get an upgrade over our current backup or not. Once healthy, I would expect Jefferson back in there. What clown thought he’d shut it down just because Cousins is done? Hell, why not just close up shop and tell everyone to go home then with that logic?  mister (the talking head, not Darin). 

Now in regards to the whole offense as a downgrade, yeah, that’ll probably happen regardless of who the Vikes get, if anyone.  It’s just a matter of how steep the decline is. We get someone like Dalton or Case the offense will still be serviceable. We stick with the rookie or Mannion then don’t expect much at all.  We should have a pretty good idea of what to expect by Wednesday. 

Heh, language filter got me on that one. 

Edited by SeductiveNun
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SeductiveNun said:

Yeah, unless his leg is falling off JJ will not be done for the season regardless if we get an upgrade over our current backup or not. Once healthy, I would expect Jefferson back in there. What clown thought he’d shut it down just because Cousins is done? Hell, why not just close up shop and tell everyone to go home then with that logic?  mister (the talking head, not Darin). 

Now in regards to the whole offense as a downgrade, yeah, that’ll probably happen regardless of who the Vikes get, if anyone.  It’s just a matter of how steep the decline is. We get someone like Dalton or Case the offense will still be serviceable. We stick with the rookie or Mannion then don’t expect much at all.  We should have a pretty good idea of what to expect by Wednesday. 

Heh, language filter got me on that one. 

I think I largely agree with seductive nun here. That saucy sassy servant of Christ. JJ seems to have that dawg in him I don't think that he would want to shut anything down. He's good enough anybody could get him some points but it really depends who's playing. They have some encouraging things going on. The offensive line is playing better than I've seen in about 12-13 years. I don't know if that's a short-term blip but I think it's hopefully more lasting. The defense has been surprisingly stiff recently. I think that's more of a short-term blip but cam bynum has been playing outstandingly well. As well as hicks the LB and Danielle Hunter and others. My point is they don't seem like a team that's ready to throw in the towel. 

24 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

I think I largely agree with seductive nun here. That saucy sassy servant of Christ. JJ seems to have that dawg in him I don't think that he would want to shut anything down. He's good enough anybody could get him some points but it really depends who's playing. They have some encouraging things going on. The offensive line is playing better than I've seen in about 12-13 years. I don't know if that's a short-term blip but I think it's hopefully more lasting. The defense has been surprisingly stiff recently. I think that's more of a short-term blip but cam bynum has been playing outstandingly well. As well as hicks the LB and Danielle Hunter and others. My point is they don't seem like a team that's ready to throw in the towel. 

Well that's encouraging.  I agree that Jefferson is a gamer and doesn't seem like to be the type to just shut it down unless things were completely out of reach.  Maybe if they were 1-7 or something but they're definitely in the thick of it.  Sounds like this talking head on SXM was just overreacting a bit.

9 hours ago, darin3 said:

Well that's encouraging.  I agree that Jefferson is a gamer and doesn't seem like to be the type to just shut it down unless things were completely out of reach.  Maybe if they were 1-7 or something but they're definitely in the thick of it.  Sounds like this talking head on SXM was just overreacting a bit.

Yeah, no I understand. It's a legitimate concern. I don't think it will happen but I don't think whatever SXM host thought was crazy. I just think they will keep trying for fantasy purposes. If they get blown out in a few games and looking dire idk, but for now, I think they are going 100%. 

FYI  Vikings are in a playoff spot right now at 4-4. They are 2 games behind the Lions, and finish with 2 of their last 3 games against them. 

Yes the guys on the Overreaction Monday segment were piling on some extra hyperbole and doom and gloom. Downgrade the offense, but JJ will be back and the season is not over. 

20 minutes ago, whomper said:

Im hearing Jameis winston chatter 

Local sports reporter mentioned that last night as a possibility. I’m kinda meh on Winston now.  Not sure if it’s him or the system that really limited his downfield passing with the Saints. My thinking is if he could still sling it like he did in Tampa but was able to cut down on his completions to the other team he’d be the Saints starter and not Carr.  I just don’t buy him as a game manager though. 

22 minutes ago, whomper said:

Im hearing Jameis winston chatter 

I heard that as well.  Wouldn't be terrible, as long as they can reign him in.  We don't need a gunslinger.  Just a manager with a bit of mobility would be nice.  And, who knows... Hill might be that guy.  I just haven't seen enough of him to tell.  But, given that he's a 5th round rookie, I'm skeptical.  Not everybody is going to be Purdy, or more accurately, thrown into Purdy's situation.  

The defense is playing better than they've played in years.  I said before the season began... their best off-season acquisition was Brian Flores.  They've gone from last to first in blitz percentage, which makes them night and day different from last year's "sit back and hope" defense.  

My point is that I don't think they're going to throw in the towel.  Whether or not they're going to make a move for another QB, I have no idea.  At the very least, they need to sign somebody so they have a backup (with Mullens on IR).  But, regardless of what they do at QB, the rest of the squad, from the GM/HC down to every last player, isn't ready to quit.  And they have no reason to.  No idea how far they can go.  But, in watching them the past 2-3 weeks, I'm more impressed with the defense than the offense.  And I think they're just starting to gel in this system (and will likely get better).  

My fear, though, is that the loss of Cousins is just going to be too much. They need JJ back sooner than later.  Cousins was playing as well as any QB in the league, and his play was able to "hide" the loss of JJ to some extent.  And other guys were stepping up, which is easier to do with a super-accurate QB throwing to them than just a game manager.  With a game manager, the big plays to Addison go away, Hock is probably double-teamed more often than not, and the run game will go back to struggling.  If all of that happens, it's going to be rough.  That's worst case.  I'm hopeful the defense can keep them in games, and the offense plays just well enough to win some of these upcoming winnable games.  Winnable, at least, on paper (and certainly winnable before Cousins' injury).  

Should be interesting.