[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How to Deal with Disappointment

I have been in my primary keeper league for 12 seasons now – there are a couple guys who are more casuals, but the bulk take it seriously and are in the know.

Overall I am 95-52 (11 games better than the team with the second best record) and have a winning record against every team.  I’ve made the playoffs 8 of the last 10 seasons and played in the championship 5 of those 10 seasons – finishing 3rd the other 3 seasons.  I have a grand total of zero championships to show for it.  I have lost every way imaginable.

• Last second field goal on the Sunday   night game (Damn you Matt Prater!)
  • Faced Kamara when he scored 6 TDs on Christmas
  • Star players injured early on in games
  • Needing minimal points from studs to win (looking at you Lev-Bell and Dalvin) then seeing them bust.
  • Blown out

I know I’m not the only one, but it is starting to get to me.  I still get amped up for the Fantasy season, but it’s such a love/hate relationship.  Anyone else felt this way and how have you dealt?

image.thumb.png.56e8118f168865d9581f85889a443dbe.png

Edited by Irvin_088

• Irvin_088 changed the title to How to Deal with Disappointment

Similar story for me in my big league with my closest friends.  I've made the playoffs in all 10 years of the league, finished 2nd 4x, finished 3rd 3x and below 2x.  Last year, I had the most points by a mile and in the 1st round of the playoffs, my opponent picked up Tlaw, Kirk and McKinnon  who scored 109 of my opponents 179 points and I lost by 12.  League history shows I have the most win since the league started.

Well this year I finally won the league and it was a very gratifying feeling.  We have all been there, keep chugging and eventually the chips will fall your way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Montana is da Man said:

Similar story for me in my big league with my closest friends.  I've made the playoffs in all 10 years of the league, finished 2nd 4x, finished 3rd 3x and below 2x.  Last year, I had the most points by a mile and in the 1st round of the playoffs, my opponent picked up Tlaw, Kirk and McKinnon  who scored 109 of my opponents 179 points and I lost by 12.  League history shows I have the most win since the league started.

Well this year I finally won the league and it was a very gratifying feeling.  We have all been there, keep chugging and eventually the chips will fall your way.

Many thanks - I know that’s the truth, but helps to hear it from someone who is on top of things.

I'm in 2 leagues and I've had my fair share of success. League 1, 11 years- 1st x2, 2nd x2, 3rd x1. League 2, 6 years- 1st x3 and in the championship in week 18.

It's not the success or lack of success, it's that it's not fun anymore. I might just be burnt out, but starting last season it started to become a chore to me. I haven't quit yet because of the friends and family in my leagues, but I'm not sure how much longer I'll last.

3 hours ago, Irvin_088 said:

Anyone else felt this way and how have you dealt?

if you're any good and/or care... yes!

You could propose to your league to change the playoff structure. In my leagues, we have a three week play with all playoff teams and winner is by total points over those three weeks. This reduces the luck factor. It doesn't eliminate it, but it does help cope with losing.

The league I lost in, I was in 1st place going into the final week. It hurts because my WRs finished so poorly in the last week, but knowing that I put forth (what I thought was my best line up over three weeks) my best effort, makes it easier to deal with.

Final week WRs:

• AJ Brown : 9.3pts
  • Justin Jefferson : 10.9pts 
  • Chris Olave : 5.6pts

...I'm certainly not going to bench those guys.

same goes for me. just lost the chip again. I am now 0-3 in the chip in 7 seasons in the league with all my buddies. the offseason definitely helps me get my mind right. but in the end, we do not really have a say in the outcome. also, fantasy baseball helps me move on 

11 minutes ago, Shaft said:

The losing is what keeps you coming back. 

Yes and no.  If it was all losing, I would have quit years ago.  I look at it sort of like golf.  It's that 10% of your shots that are really pretty good that keep you coming back, and knowing that the other 90% have the potential of being as good as that 10%.  Most of us probably lose more than we win, not in terms of $$, but in terms of literally winning leagues.  I've had years where I didn't win a single league (out of 10-20), which is super frustrating.  I've had a couple of years where I won close to half of my leagues (still in that 10-20 range), which is unreal.  I play for a variety of reasons, but having one of those unreal seasons is a big part of it for me.  I don't want to win a league or two... I want to win 5 or 10.  Maybe that's unrealistic, but it's similar to wanting to shoot in the 70's every time I tee it up (when a more realistic goal for me is probably mid to upper 80's). But, I've shot in the 70's once in my life, just like I had a season or two where I won WAY more than my share of leagues.  That's what keeps me coming back.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Irvin_088 said:

I have been in my primary keeper league for 12 seasons now – there are a couple guys who are more casuals, but the bulk take it seriously and are in the know.

Overall I am 95-52 (11 games better than the team with the second best record) and have a winning record against every team.  I’ve made the playoffs 8 of the last 10 seasons and played in the championship 5 of those 10 seasons – finishing 3rd the other 3 seasons.  I have a grand total of zero championships to show for it.  I have lost every way imaginable.

• Needing minimal points from studs to win (looking at you Lev-Bell and Dalvin) then seeing them bust.
  • Blown out

I know I’m not the only one, but it is starting to get to me.  I still get amped up for the Fantasy season, but it’s such a love/hate relationship.  Anyone else felt this way and how have you dealt?

Our commish was dominating early in our championship game...projected to hit 180 plus, CeeDee, LePorta, Dak...ended up losing by 1.6.

I know this will ring hollow but we've all been there. I've lost games by .08, had first three rounds of picks suffer season ending injuries, guys hurt in championship game first play.

All I can tell you is we fool ourselves into thinking we have control in this but we don't.

It's random, and one of these days it's going to come together and feeo wonderful!

1 hour ago, Gopher said:

Yes and no.  If it was all losing, I would have quit years ago.  I look at it sort of like golf.  It's that 10% of your shots that are really pretty good that keep you coming back, and knowing that the other 90% have the potential of being as good as that 10%.  Most of us probably lose more than we win, not in terms of $$, but in terms of literally winning leagues.  I've had years where I didn't win a single league (out of 10-20), which is super frustrating.  I've had a couple of years where I won close to half of my leagues (still in that 10-20 range), which is unreal.  I play for a variety of reasons, but having one of those unreal seasons is a big part of it for me.  I don't want to win a league or two... I want to win 5 or 10.  Maybe that's unrealistic, but it's similar to wanting to shoot in the 70's every time I tee it up (when a more realistic goal for me is probably mid to upper 80's). But, I've shot in the 70's once in my life, just like I had a season or two where I won WAY more than my share of leagues.  That's what keeps me coming back.

Agreed. Tasting a little victory is needed to balance the losing. But if you're in a competitive league, you literally have less than a 10% chance of winning the league. We know this, but take the chance, because like you said, tasting that 10% makes you think the other 90% can be just as good. This will become way too philosophical, so I'm going to back out of this conversation. Lol

20 hours ago, Shaft said:

Agreed. Tasting a little victory is needed to balance the losing. But if you're in a competitive league, you literally have less than a 10% chance of winning the league. We know this, but take the chance, because like you said, tasting that 10% makes you think the other 90% can be just as good. This will become way too philosophical, so I'm going to back out of this conversation. Lol

21 hours ago, Gopher said:

I'm kind of curious now that I finally won in my friends league, will I not care as much next season.  Because damn it, I was stressed a hell of a lot over the last 3 seasons trying to win this league.  All I wanted,  besides the nice pot, was to stop hearing them say, "you've never won this league."  Well now they can't use that joke anymore.

On 1/2/2024 at 5:28 PM, TheGuildedAge said:

All I can tell you is we fool ourselves into thinking we have control in this but we don't.

^ this, mostly.

Instead of the OP looking at it as if he has been unlucky in the championship, ruining his otherwise stellar FF skills, perhaps he should be thrilled that someone as average and lousy at it as he/she was lucky enough to make it far for so many seasons.  

Dayum, you are one lucky SOB!  

😂

I wish I had that kind of regular success. 30 years, one championship, 1-2 2nd place, plenty of years out of the playoffs or near the bottom. But i could see where being near the top so often and not winning could be frustrating as well.

I've considered quitting before, this year I made some moves for the future and am almost looking forward to it. 

On 1/2/2024 at 7:02 AM, Irvin_088 said:

• Blown out

The best way to deal with it for me is to focus on what’s ahead. Start scouting rookies. Watch the senior bowl and east - west shrine games. Watch the combine and various workouts. Focus on your next draft. You can’t do anything about the past. I get it because I’m right there with you and this is just my way of dealing with losses. I get pissed for a day or two then start planning for the future. Ultimately you are going to win so hang in there.

Edited by Trojanmojo