[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gestures Players Are Making...What do they mean?

devilwoman

Ok, I consider myself a fairly "in the know" type of person but I just don't understand the gestures the players are making on the field.  I'm sure they are obvious to those who know...that being the case please provide an explanation of the following...

1.  The first down gesture that starts with the player putting his finger to the nose of his facemask as if wiping his nose and following the finger through to mid forearm.  Where did that come from and what does it mean?

2. Defensive player makes a play then with his hand he creates an outline of a box and then make another gesture inside the box he just created....where did that come from and what does it mean?

3.  After player makes a TD he does this little dance and with both arms held straight out he make what looks like gestures that he is milking a cow...where did that come from and what does it mean? 

My college football season will be complete once I know these gestures.  Thanks!! :brew:

4 hours ago, devilwoman said:

Ok, I consider myself a fairly "in the know" type of person but I just don't understand the gestures the players are making on the field.  I'm sure they are obvious to those who know...that being the case please provide an explanation of the following...

1.  The first down gesture that starts with the player putting his finger to the nose of his facemask as if wiping his nose and following the finger through to mid forearm.  Where did that come from and what does it mean?

2. Defensive player makes a play then with his hand he creates an outline of a box and then make another gesture inside the box he just created....where did that come from and what does it mean?

3.  After player makes a TD he does this little dance and with both arms held straight out he make what looks like gestures that he is milking a cow...where did that come from and what does it mean? 

My college football season will be complete once I know these gestures.  Thanks!! :brew:

25 views and no thoughts on these??

Youtube does not have any examples I can find...but I can't believe you have not seen any of these gestures.  The NFL players do the finger across the bottom of the nose to their forearm after a first down.  The box and milking the cow is more of a college player gesture.

2 minutes ago, TripleW64 said:

I have seen some of the gestures but no idea what they mean.

Ah, ok...thank you TripleW64.  Yeah I am just wondering if anyone knows what they mean...or where they came from.  Like this year and some of last year you see defensive backs do the saber back into the scabbard gesture...I kind of get that....

I looked at the thread yesterday, don't recognize any of the gestures mentioned. I don't watch college football so if that's where they mostly occur I haven't seen them.

Would not surprise me of most of it is rooted in rap culture and other things that I have no real interest in understanding. 

I don’t know what any of these are. My least favorite thing teams are doing these days is when the defense gets a turnover and they all run to the end zone and look into the camera yelling a bunch of nonsense. They look like idiots.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the one where they're "drawing a box" and then kicking is.... the "box" should actually be a rectangle and it's meant to signify a door, and they're kicking in the door.

I have an idea about the first one, but it might be too..... graphic?  :oldunsure: 

I thought the drawing of the box was the defensive player, typically DB's, saying that it was their territory and they successfully defended it.   But maybe that is too simplistic? 

I agree with Finn about the defense celebrating in the end zone after each forced turnover.  Especially when they are down by double digit points.  It is just annoying.   

On 1/10/2024 at 9:52 AM, Finn5033 said:

I don’t know what any of these are. My least favorite thing teams are doing these days is when the defense gets a turnover and they all run to the end zone and look into the camera yelling a bunch of nonsense. They look like idiots.

Didn't that start during COVID when there were no people in the stands? It's tedious by now...