[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Unwritten Rule?

Grogansghost

This is my first year playing FF, so I'd appreciate feedback from people who have been playing for a while.

I joined two leagues. In one 10 team $20 league the top four teams play for the championship, while 5-8 play for the consolation. I squeaked into the consolation as the eigth team.

I picked up Volek and Collins at the start of the week because I knew that I would want to start one of them over Brady. No one complained. After Volek went off and got me the most overall points another manager (who lost) complained that I shouldn't be picking up players because I'm only in the consolation bracket.

Is it customary for people to stop managing their team if they're no longer playing for money, but are still competing for rank? From my perspective, I was playing for fifth place, my season wasn't over, so I didn't stop managing my team.

(NOTE: if I had been the ninth or tenth place team I wouldn't have been adding players because my team wouldn't have had a game.)

Our WW is open for every team still playing ... and for the first 2 weeks of the playoffs that is every team in the league .... 6 teams in the SB playoffs and 6 teams in the TB playoffs. Every team gets at least 2 games for final placement.

I say as long as you got teams playing whether it be for consoliation or for money the WW should be equal access.

Teams NOT playing any more shouldn't be allowed WW moves.

I think it's good that you continued to participate. All leagues should be this way. If you are playing games, you have access to waivers. It's as simple as that.

Sounds like sour grapes to me from the other owners. Tell them they should be lucky you are an active owner and not some wanker who gives up.

Thanks, Grits. I didn't think I did anything wrong, people are just upset they didn't pick him up. (our WW is set at 0 days, so priority doesn't matter and everyone had a chance at both QB's) Next year I'm going to find a different league.

Thanks, Chief.

Besides, I'm originally from NE and went to school in Philly, so I needed something to soften the Pat's losing and TO getting hurt.

Edited by Grogansghost

I think it's good that you continued to participate. All leagues should be this way. If you are playing games, you have access to waivers. It's as simple as that.

Sounds like sour grapes to me from the other owners. Tell them they should be lucky you are an active owner and not some wanker who gives up.

623559[/snapback]

AMEN!! Keep playing if your team is active, consolation or whatever. Once you're out completely, than it's time to leave the wire alone.

They're the wankers for whining... :violin:

Heck, I wouldn't care if the eighth place team in our league (yes, it is only an eight team league, but all great friends) picked up Volek. I might have been ticked if he played me and I lost, but not because he picked up Volek, but because I didn't get him first.

Our owners stay pretty active all season, even if it is in the role of a spoiler.

Edited by Gunther

I disagree with all those that think working the waiver wire when you are out of the money is acceptable, which I think is about 95% of everyone who has posted.

Yeah, it's cool that he is remaining active in the league and continuing to play for pride, but he's also hamstinging those in his league who have more on the line than just pride.

I equate it to a NASCAR driver who is not on the lead lap allowing those who are on the lead lap to pass uncontested.

If he has to have a quarterback to fill out his roster, he doesn't have to jump on those available at the first opportunity. I think the more gracious move would have been to wait until later in the week after most of the ww moves had been made for thee week and then make his move near the end of the week.

You can say what you want about sour grapes, but depending on one's perspective, someone might say that the guy who is out of the money made the ww move to snatch all available QB's because he's got sour grapes because he's no longer got a chance at the pot. :D

Just my .02

If your team is still playing games, you should always have the same rights, whether you are playing for 1st place or 8th place.

And if it is a keeper league, if any team is allowed to make moves, all teams must be allowed to make moves whether they still have games left or not.

I disagree with all those that think working the waiver wire when you are out of the money is acceptable, which I think is about 95% of everyone who has posted.

Yeah, it's cool that he is remaining active in the league and continuing to play for pride, but he's also hamstinging those in his league who have more on the line than just pride.

I equate it to a NASCAR driver who is not on the lead lap allowing those who are on the lead lap to pass uncontested. 

If he has to have a quarterback to fill out his roster, he doesn't have to jump on those available at the first opportunity.  I think the more gracious move would have been to wait until later in the week after most of the ww moves had been made for thee week and then make his move near the end of the week.

You can say what you want about sour grapes, but depending on one's perspective, someone might say that the guy who is out of the money made the ww move to snatch all available QB's because he's got sour grapes because he's no longer got a chance at the pot.  :D

Just my .02

625232[/snapback]

I agree with alot of what you say here. I respect Grogansghost's desire to win. However, if it was me, I would've waited a couple days & then checked to see who's still there. There is no rule about this in our league. It just seems that those not playing for The Super Bowl are gracious to those who are. Hard to say what's right and wrong if there is even a right and wrong. That's just how the owners in our league seem to see it. In our 11 years, I can't remember one time we've had something like this occur.

In my leagues I want everybody to field the best team that they can, regardless of the circumstances.

I don't care what place you're in.

I was out of playoff contention in one league and I STILL PAYED MONEY to pick up guys because LAST PLACE IS BAD!

I understand the NASCAR analogy, but it doesn't apply in this case because EVERYBODY has a shot at the same guy.

Sorry for the caps, but nobody should get upset because another team is trying to win.

625232[/snapback]

Which is reason #7 why nascar is a "fun to watch activity" not a sport.

:D

I wouldn't be good at that approach ... if there's still time on the clock, still games in the season, and still breath in my lungs, I'm playing hard.

If I'm in the consolation bracket (which I'm not :D ), I've got as much right to the waiver wire as any active owner. If my games are done, I'm done .. unless it's a keeper league (great point by Big Country), where everyone should be active on the wire throughout the season.

If he has to have a quarterback to fill out his roster, he doesn't have to jump on those available at the first opportunity.  I think the more gracious move would have been to wait until later in the week after most of the ww moves had been made for thee week and then make his move near the end of the week.

You can say what you want about sour grapes, but depending on one's perspective, someone might say that the guy who is out of the money made the ww move to snatch all available QB's because he's got sour grapes because he's no longer got a chance at the pot.  :D

Just my .02

625232[/snapback]

If they don't have equal access to the WW then why should they even bother playing? If one of them has a QB go down its just "tough". :D

Either they are still playing or they aren't.