[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

FF television shows: Which suck & why

msaint

• 6 months later...

Just saw this thread for the first time. Gotta say, I agree 100%. I suggested to DMD last year that the Huddle ought to have a satalitte radio station to discuss everything everyone has mentioned here. You could discuss stuff going on in the forums, take calls, host guests, etc. Wouldn't have to be 24 hours a day. But if people could tune in with their computers during the day, I bet there'd be a loyal following.

Im like a few of you, before i left for korea i used to be an avid sports talk radio listener in phoenix. when i caught the show dmd was on just recently all they seemed to do was tell people that called in who they should start every week. needless to say I would always just go to the next channel in my sports talk cycle.

I dont think id watch a tv show if it was on

Edited by Robash

I think the best shows are NFL matchup and Playbook on ESPN and NFL network respectively. Since I personally spend about 2+ hours a day reading about the NFL, there's not much I don't already know come Sunday. Last minute injury updates is the responsibility of the coach and many times the coach doesn't release that info until right before the game. Just give me more matchup analysis and I'm good!

Too much time wasted on almost all football shows with b-s'ing, it's all about ME, etc. Except for Mort there isn't any reason to watch any of them.

I want:

A show that is 99% info.

A show that let's you know who is in and who is out NLT to 9:45.

A show that tells you about the 3rd-8th round people you drafted.

A show that does NOT focus on the clear choices like you mentioned.

A show that is one hour long with 10 mins of updates/and projections at the start, 10 mins of IDP, 10 minutes of info on best player matchups, 10 mins of sleepers/WW pickups, and 10 minutes of start/bench to finish off. That leaves 10 mins for commercials.

I could see the Huddle Fantasy Football Weekend Preview featuring:

DMD - updates/projections

WW - start/bench

DMD/WW - player matchups

yomamma - sleepers/WW

and an IDP person. 

No doubt in my military mind that a show featuring the above people would be to the point, worthwhile, and without all the it's about ME crap.

644214[/snapback]

Nothing to add to this, except having a ticker at the bottom for breaking news. Completely agree with Sky about the current pre-game shows, they are totally worthless, especially Bradshaw's.

John Hansen and Adam Caplan are on Sirus every Friday night from 8-11 pm est, replay at 9-12 Saturday night. Doing injury/nfl updates Saturday mornings at 10:15 am est and after the games on Sunday night at 9:35 pm est.

A few others too here and there. Lots of good NFL and fantasy talk on the radio waves these days. :D

644219[/snapback]

Are there other good football shows on Sirius during the season? I subscribed just for the NFL sations but since I have had it (about 3-4 months) I haven't been impressed. Some of the guys on there are just flatout boring. And they run replays all night it seems. I listen to the Opening Drive in the morning and then when I get in my car leter in the day/night it is on again.

Having done radio shows over the years and obviously watching the TV shows, I can tell you the problem that you see stems from these two reasons:

1. Semi-Tough Bikers and fantasy football just don't mix on the big screen.

2. Gotta be purty, have an adlib sense of humor, and can't carry a gun.

Guest THEbigred

ESPN having an FF show sounds about as interesting as Emeril having an FF show. :D

Even if they weren't annoying as hell in the first place, the major sports networks have proven time and again they're clueless about it. Worst idea since ESPN hired Joey T.

If I REALLY want to hear an FF show, I'll try to catch DMD or Greg Kellogg or some such on the radio.

I would want a show segment and this goes for The Huddle predictions as well, where they list how close their predictions were. When they blow it own up to it. It would also help if, for example, they always blow predictions of a certain player or team. Conversly maybe they always do well with certain guys.

I think patterns would emerge...Hey this guy always has a feel for Roy Williams receiving stats... but always seems to guess high on Marc Bulger's stats...

That kind of stuff. Accountability.

I make my own choices 99% of the time but I always look at the predictions page for fun/reassurance. Same goes for any T.V. show.

It's going to be difficult to present anything worthwhile on a week to week basis given the last injuries, etc., unless you went live. This is unlikely to happen and you might have a tough time building up viewership, since most people are tuned into the pregame shows with tickers, yadda yadda.

What if the show was more something that could be a Thursday/Friday type thing and focused on a different aspect of the game, like trends in WRs...sleepers to grab off the waivers. Maybe some projections with simple scoring rules variations?

Oh and you should be out there right now, travelling around and reporting to us on position battles at training camps. :D

OK, so we all agree (I'm guessing) that most FF shows aren't that good/helpful to anyone but owners who have both Peyton and Daunte and can't decide who to start each week. And there have been posts saying that shows like the "Ultimate Fantasy Football Show," while occasionally entertaining, is also a little too "newbie-centric," with all the "experts" going out on limbs and predicting 100 yds and 2 TDs for T.O. every week. AND, they're taped on Wed/Thurs and replayed Sunday morning, when things could have drastically changed.

So, what would your ideal FF show be? For me, it would be something LIVE on Sunday morning/early afternoon (11am-1pm competing with ESPN Countdown, and the network pre-game shows) that focuses ENTIRELY on accurate, up-to-the-minute predictions and information/discussions of major FF issues of the week, with call-ins and emails from viewers, as opposed to providing the occasional update from Mort at his computer or scroll at the bottom. Bottom line, a live (key word) show that helps owners of ALL "skill levels" with those tough lineup decisions....but is also entertaining as hell, funny (unlike, say, that painful Mayne Event, which burns valuable time that could be used for FF info), and fun to watch, with great in-studio guests/hosts.

So, if there were a show like that, would it be something that you'd watch over Berman, Mort, Howie, Boomer, et al? I only ask because I'm curious....yeah, that's it, only curiosity....not like I'm going out to pitch a show like that tomorrow or anything....nope, not me...:D...

644189[/snapback]

I would watch a Fantasy show on Sunday morning that disscussed injury updates, projections or start/bench list and sleepers. I would also think a Show on Tuesday night would be good. I kind of wrap up of what happened right and wrong over the weekend and why (new and old trends). Discuss injuries and possible trades (fantasy). People and call or email in with questions. Each week they can pick 1 topic to talk to newbies about the do and don'ts.