[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Joey Harrington May Be Cut...

Puddy

See the article two posts below...(Yeah, I should have copied it here but f'd up) :D

If this happens, I sure hope they have a very sure feeling of which veteran they can sign this offseason. With the skill position players being a year older the time is now for success. We don't have three more years to groom a rookie...

Edited by Puddy

You wanna post the article please... I have no desire to register.

Thanks.

651108[/snapback]

Sorry Sky...Forgot about that requirement.

Sources say Lions considering releasing Harrington

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

By Tom Kowalski

ALLEN PARK -- Quarterback Joey Harrington's career in Detroit might be over.

According to sources close to the situation, the Detroit Lions are considering releasing Harrington in late February, prior to paying him a scheduled $3 million roster bonus.

In addition to the bonus, Harrington will make nearly $5 million in salary for the 2005 season -- there has been heated debate within the Lions organization about whether to make the additional financial investment in Harrington.

"That decision hasn't been made yet," said a Lions source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. "We're looking at all the options."

According to several sources, Lions president Matt Millen wants to bring Harrington back but the team's offensive coaching staff wants to go in another direction. After Sherm Lewis was forced out of his offensive coordinator job one day after the regular season ended on Jan. 2, he wrote letters to Millen, team owner William Clay Ford and vice chairman Bill Ford Jr., stating that the Lions would never win with Harrington playing quarterback.

Lewis, who officially "retired" following the season, said Harrington didn't have the intangibles to be a winning quarterback in the NFL. Lewis' letter did not come as a surprise to anyone in the organization because he was never in Harrington's corner. Still, it shows the level of disagreement between the different factions.

Millen was in San Francisco for a scouting trip on Tuesday and was unavailable for comment.

Members of the Lions front office, coaching staff and scouting department are expected to meet several times over the next five weeks to discuss whether Harrington will return. While money will be an issue, it won't be the deal-breaker in either situation (whether they keep or cut him).

By cutting Harrington now, the Lions would face an immediate salary cap hit of $5.5 million, but it wouldn't affect their ability to re-sign their own free agents and pursue other unrestricted free agents.

The debate will be whether the Lions believe Harrington is the player who can ultimately lead the Lions to the Super Bowl.

One of the factors in deciding whether to keep Harrington is Detroit's other available options. Backup quarterback Mike McMahon, who had the support of both Mariucci and Lewis, doesn't appear to be a candidate for the 2005 season.

Because the Lions would have to release Harrington prior to the start of the free agency signing period and the college draft, there is no guarantee who the Lions could acquire. Other quarterbacks, who are currently in backup roles, could also be available via trade.

According to sources, Millen wants to make sure that -- whatever the decision is -- everyone in the organization stands behind it.

After three years and 44 career starts, Harrington has not lived up to the billing of the third overall selection in the 2002 draft.

While he has shown improvement in each of the last three years, and his statistics this season were good, they were not overly impressive in the league's current pass-happy trend. Harrington completed 56 percent of his passes for more than 3,000 yards, but threw only 19 touchdown passes.

Harrington threw for more than 300 yards only twice all season and that came in two of the final three games, which is the core of the team's internal debate.

According to sources, Millen believes Harrington's growth was stunted by the conservative offense of head coach Steve Mariucci. Meanwhile, Mariucci believes his West Coast system was crippled by Harrington's lack of accuracy and leadership.

At the urging of Millen, Mariucci surrendered his play-calling duties in the final three games and, with quarterback coach Greg Olson taking over, Harrington became more aggressive. Still, the Lions lost both games in which Harrington threw for more than 300 yards.

The Lions are searching for a new offensive coordinator and received permission from the San Francisco 49ers to talk to their offensive coordinator, Ted Tollner. Other candidates are believed to still be coaching in the playoffs and the Lions can't approach them until their teams are knocked out of the Super Bowl chase.

As the Lions continue to debate Harrington's future, one thing appears certain. If Harrington returns, he will not have his contract restructured. Harrington has offered to get his deal re-done but the Lions aren't interested.

If Harrington were to play the 2005 season with the Lions, his salary cap number would be just under $10 million. The Lions can absorb that for this year and also make it easier for them to release Harrington next season (for a cap hit of less than $4 million).

If the Lions restructure Harrington's deal, however, and then want to cut him next year, the cap hit would be closer to $8 million.

Interesting.

The HC doesn't want him and feels he is a liablilty to his type of O.

The fired O-Coord never did like him and went out of his way to send a letter of sour grapes after he was fired.

Sure does appear that Harrington is on his way doesn't it?

And I don't, for one little bitty second, believe that money won't be a deciding factor as stated in that article. Money is always a deciding factor.

Buh bye Joey. We hardly knew ya.

Wow... how frickin ludicrous! Come on, the guy has his top 2 WR's injured much of the year, a rookie RB, a soft OL and a weak defense. Yeah, blame the QB. This is why the Lions haven't won a Championship since the 1950's.

I'd take Harrington as Favre's backup!

This is reason #487 why you do NOT DRAFT A QB IN THE FIRST ROUND!

Edited by Todd1

Call me crazy, but I think the guy still has a shot in the NFL. I have watched a lot of Lions Football the last couple of years and in my opinion, there isn't a QB that could of made this team a winner.

He'll land on his feet, maybe Dallas, Miami, SF, etc..... But he's a better player then the team around him, or the so-called coaches he's had.

This really isn't much more than rampant speculation.

What may make it reality is not so much Harrington's mediocre play, but that he is not highly regarded by his coach and perhaps more importantly, his teammates.

Many in the organization belive that Harrington just doesn't have the "intangibles" to lead a team.

This really isn't much more than rampant speculation.

651265[/snapback]

It may not end up happening, but it is not rampant specualtion. The reporter, Tom Kowalski, has been a Lions beat writer for a long time. He is the Lions insider for the Sporting News and one of the local sports stations (You know that Furd). He doesn't report things on a whim. Doesn't mean Harrington will be cut, but I believe the article that it is a real possibility.

Call me crazy, but I think the guy still has a shot in the NFL.  I have watched a lot of Lions Football the last couple of years and in my opinion, there isn't a QB  that could of made this team a winner.

He'll land on his feet, maybe Dallas, Miami, SF, etc.....  But he's a better player then the team around him, or the so-called coaches he's had.

651221[/snapback]

As a Cowboy fan, I hope he doesn't end up in Dallas. I watched most of the Lions games this year, becasue I had both Kevin Jones and Roy Williams in a few leagues. Harrington under throws the ball, and is very inaccurate. Most of the catches Roy Williams made, were way high or behind him, assuming of course they even got to him. I was like you last year, saying give the guy a break, he didn't have a RB or a quality WR. He had both this year, granted, KJ didn't come on until game 5 or 6, and Roy was hobbled some. I just don't think you can keep making excuses for this guy, unless your his mother.

I really liked Harrington at Oregon, but now as a Texans fan I am so glad they went with Carr instead of Harrington. Not that he has set the world ablaze, but at least you can see the improvement. But Harrington seems like he would be a likeable fellow, so I hope if he does get cut, he can go on and have success elsewhere.

The debate will be whether the Lions believe Harrington is the player who can ultimately lead the Lions to the Super Bowl.

651114[/snapback]

B):D :doah: B):D:D

Lions in the Superbowl... :yay:

Hmm... I see a Plummer for Roy Williams trade in the works! (pleasepleasepleaseplease).

Heck... I'd take Az Hakim. :D

Two words for the Lions: Kurt Warner. :D:D

Did Harrington start a bunch his rookie year (is that supporting the old let a rookie hold the clipboard arguemnt)? And that was under Mariucci's predecssor, no? His WR's have been hurt every year, how long did C Rogers last in 2003 before gettingput on IR, 5 weeks? Too fast to start, injured personnel and two Offensive systems in 3 years.......

Never liked the Lions, but whenever McMahaon takes the field I see a bit more pizzazz, that kid has moxie.

Bottom Line: Millen sucks, and probably couldn't win his division playing Madden Franchise.

Wow...  how frickin ludicrous!  Come on, the guy has his top 2 WR's injured much of the year, a rookie RB, a soft OL and a weak defense.  Yeah, blame the QB.  This is why the Lions haven't won a Championship since the 1950's. 

I'd take Harrington as Favre's backup! 

This is reason #487 why you do NOT DRAFT A QB IN THE FIRST ROUND!

651164[/snapback]

I completely agree, this would be a big mistake by the Lions. Harrington has improved in each season, despite having no REAL offensive weapons around him and a bad offensive line. When you factor in their horrid defense, as you state Todd, it only compounds the lunacy!

With some time with Roy and Kevin, this kid can be special.

I hope they release him and the Cowboys pick him up!

Edited by gspot

It may not end up happening, but it is not rampant specualtion.  The reporter, Tom Kowalski, has been a Lions beat writer for a long time.  He is the Lions insider for the Sporting News and one of the local sports stations (You know that Furd).  He doesn't report things on a whim.  Doesn't mean Harrington will be cut, but I believe the article that it is a real possibility.

651324[/snapback]

Tom "Killer" Kowalski DOES report many rumors and things that turn out to be untrue... he's usually much more speculative on the radio than in print. Is it possible that Harrington will be cut? Yes. Is it likely? No.

Edit: Here's the local take:

http://www.lionsunderground.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3521

Edited by Egret

Tom "Killer" Kowalski DOES report many rumors and things that turn out to be untrue... he's usually much more speculative on the radio than in print.  Is it possible that Harrington will be cut?  Yes.  Is it likely?  No.

651449[/snapback]

Egret,

I listen to Kowalski quite often and you're right. On the radio he is more speculative because he normally is being asked for his opinion. He's not really reporting in that instance. This article is not his opinion, he's reporting based on his sources.

This topic was not created to suggest Harrington will be cut (although several huddler's seem to have drawn that conclusion from it). It was to point out that there seems to be disharmony within the Lions organization about what to do with that position.

My position is unless they are certain that they can upgrade via free agency/trade, they should not make a move.

Edited for misspelling.

Edited by Puddy

B)  :D  :doah:  B)  :D  :D

Lions in the Superbowl... :yay:

Hmm... I see a Plummer for Roy Williams trade in the works!  (pleasepleasepleaseplease).

Heck... I'd take Az Hakim.  :D

651356[/snapback]

Please no!! I know Plummer has sucked at critical times, but they have no one better to relly on at QB, and I don't see much coming available in free agency either.

Although Williams would look good in a Denver uni.